• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nope. I am 5'2" - 130 lbs. All my other skis are 163-165 but I want a shorter pair for bumps and trees. I need all the help I can get in trees!

Black pearls seemed more forgiving than the Secret or Flair to me.
Both are nice skis.
Definitely try to demo on same day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As far as women's VMT 82...if you can wait a few weeks...a month...:popcorn:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as women's VMT 82...if you can wait a few weeks...a month...:popcorn:
Phil, which LIberty did I demo? Do you remember?? I have a new phone, so my notes are gone! Somehow, I didn't write a review on the ones I skied I think because I disliked them so much. I DO recall clearly that the front half of the ski did not feel like the back half--meaning, I felt like I was on one ski in front, and a totally different ski in back. And the back did not want to release. I'd like to get out on a few more again because I don't think I was able to get a fair assessment.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, which LIberty did I demo? Do you remember?? I have a new phone, so my notes are gone! Somehow, I didn't write a review on the ones I skied I think because I disliked them so much. I DO recall clearly that the front half of the ski did not feel like the back half--meaning, I felt like I was on one ski in front, and a totally different ski in back. And the back did not want to release. I'd like to get out on a few more again because I don't think I was able to get a fair assessment.
IIRC, you were on one of the Genesis. What youa re descibing sounds like a bad tune. This is something that does happen at large demos, unfortuantely all too often. We have learned to look past it and not judge a ski based on it. It has happened one time or another with almost every brand.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nope. I am 5'2" - 130 lbs. All my other skis are 163-165 but I want a shorter pair for bumps and trees. I need all the help I can get in trees!
Now I am intrigued for sure! I loved the Aura and found it light and smooth. I just replaced them with the 90eights last season.
The 90Eights are definitely better than the later version of the Aura.
The Secret is too close, so I'd take @Wendy 's advice and consider the Liberty VMT line, or the All New Rossignol Experience 88W is incredible in the bumps and trees. So much fun!

Here are a couple reviews I did on the VMT 76 and 80.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/tricias-2018-19-ski-tests-sub-83mm-skis.11346/

Liberty VMT V76
Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 14m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179
Size tested: 172
Design: All New

Liberty Skis had not been on my radar, but this time I gave them a shot. The V76 is not a ski I would normally associate with a company like Liberty, which has big-mountain roots, but this ski is so much fun, I took four laps on it and spent some time in moguls in Hallelujah Bowl exclaiming, "Hallelujah!" What a fun fun fun ski. Edge hold is good, tip initiation is right where it should be, the tail is forgiving in the moguls. This ski breathed life back into my legs after two solid days of testing.
  • Who is it for? A skier looking for a versatile frontside-biased ski.
  • Who is it not for? I guess I wouldn't bring it on a heli trip.
  • Insider tip: Not enough Fs in fun for this one.

Liberty VMT V80

Dimensions: 127-80-110
Radius: 13m@163cm
Sizes:
Size tested: 163

Liberty has brought yet another fun ski that stands up to a variety of conditions. The V80 doesn't have the snappy turn radius or the edge hold of the V76, but it has all the playfulness that you're looking for in a ski that crosses over from moguls to trees and soft springlike snow.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful ski with off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a strong groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Don't be afraid to go up a size.

Here is the review of the Rossignol Experience 88 (so much different than the old Temptation)
Rossignol Experience 88 W
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166

After several years of Temptation, the ladies are getting a whole new Experience from Rossignol. That's right, the Temptation name is a thing of the past along with the old shape and construction. The 2019 Rossignol Experience W is being introduced with a big change in sidecut, offering a bigger sweet spot and more versatility as a daily driver. I have had the pleasure of skiing on the Experience 88 W and Experience 84 W extensively in a variety of snow conditions. Where the old Temptation locked into a turn with crazy good edge hold, the new Experience W holds an edge without demanding a specific turn shape, and offers a playful experience in moguls and chopped up spring conditions. I must say, nearly everything I Experienced put a smile on my face.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful all-mountain ski
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a serious carver
  • Insider tip: These skis come flat or with system-mounted bindings.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC, you were on one of the Genesis. What youa re descibing sounds like a bad tune. This is something that does happen at large demos, unfortuantely all too often. We have learned to look past it and not judge a ski based on it. It has happened one time or another with almost every brand.
I think it sounds like a bad tune, too, but for whatever reason, we didn't come to that conclusion there. (Maybe Tricia skied them before me and they were fine??) Anyway, I didn't get out on any of the other Liberty skis and I'm wishing I had. Because you guys were all pretty impressed with them, and I definitely wasn't, at least that pair. It's hard when you only have so much time (and energy, frankly) and have to try to cram so many into two days.

Still drooling over those Stocklis, though :drool:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 90Eights are definitely better than the later version of the Aura.
The Secret is too close, so I'd take @Wendy 's advice and consider the Liberty VMT line, or the All New Rossignol Experience 88W is incredible in the bumps and trees. So much fun!

Here are a couple reviews I did on the VMT 76 and 80.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/tricias-2018-19-ski-tests-sub-83mm-skis.11346/

Liberty VMT V76
Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 14m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179
Size tested: 172

Liberty Skis had not been on my radar, but this time I gave them a shot. The V76 is not a ski I would normally associate with a company like Liberty, which has big-mountain roots, but this ski is so much fun, I took four laps on it and spent some time in moguls in Hallelujah Bowl exclaiming, "Hallelujah!" What a fun fun fun ski. Edge hold is good, tip initiation is right where it should be, the tail is forgiving in the moguls. This ski breathed life back into my legs after two solid days of testing.
  • Who is it for? A skier looking for a versatile frontside-biased ski.
  • Who is it not for? I guess I wouldn't bring it on a heli trip.
  • Insider tip: Not enough Fs in fun for this one.

Liberty VMT V80

Dimensions: 127-80-110
Radius: 13m@163cm
Sizes:
Size tested: 163

Liberty has brought yet another fun ski that stands up to a variety of conditions. The V80 doesn't have the snappy turn radius or the edge hold of the V76, but it has all the playfulness that you're looking for in a ski that crosses over from moguls to trees and soft springlike snow.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful ski with off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a strong groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Don't be afraid to go up a size.

Here is the review of the Rossignol Experience 88 (so much different than the old Temptation)
Rossignol Experience 88 W
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166

After several years of Temptation, the ladies are getting a whole new Experience from Rossignol. That's right, the Temptation name is a thing of the past along with the old shape and construction. The 2019 Rossignol Experience W is being introduced with a big change in sidecut, offering a bigger sweet spot and more versatility as a daily driver. I have had the pleasure of skiing on the Experience 88 W and Experience 84 W extensively in a variety of snow conditions. Where the old Temptation locked into a turn with crazy good edge hold, the new Experience W holds an edge without demanding a specific turn shape, and offers a playful experience in moguls and chopped up spring conditions. I must say, nearly everything I Experienced put a smile on my face.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful all-mountain ski
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a serious carver
  • Insider tip: These skis come flat or with system-mounted bindings.
Ahh the Experience was another one that I wanted to try in the shorter length, because the 166 just felt like a lot of ski for me to push around, which of course takes away from its playfulness. So, I really couldn't give it a fair assessment. And yet, at two different demos, there wasn't a 159 to be found :huh: The E84 was really, really fun, but to me, lacked a certain smoothness that I've come to expect from the Black Pearl.

What's funny is that Bryce, who is of course a very technically proficient skier, still prefers the old version of the E88, and prefers is by a LOT. So much so that he is probably going to sell his 2019s and hunt down a pair of 2018s. In the meantime, he pulls out his E84s and the new 88s sit.

Back to the Secret-I need to pull my review of them. I remember liking them quite a lot, but again, one run on them, towards the end of the day, was really not enough to get a GREAT feel for them. I still think that on Blizzards, I just feel a little more connected to the snow, vs. on the Volkls I tried last season, I felt that I just wasn't bending them enough. I could haul ass on them, and just kind of blow through stuff, but I've grown to really love that feeling of being more connected to the snow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia or @AmyPJ or anyone else.....does any have thoughts on how the Black Crows Vertis Birdie would compare to the Black Pearl?
I'm sorry I missed this post! I can't compare the Vertis Birdie as I have not skied it.

I HAVE skied the Secret for the past two days at Grand Targhee, and I found it to be superior in powder to the Black Pearl, and a stronger, more stable ski overall without being more work or unforgiving. I LOVE my Black Pearls, but feel that I am ready for something with a bit more oomph, and these skis fill that bill nicely. (Yes, I have a pair getting mounted this week.) They are also longer at 163, which is truthfully what I call my "happy length".

I'm hoping to get out on some Black Crows during testing next month, since they are loved by a lot of women.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My minimal experience with Black Crows have been in less than ideal circumstances. Sorry I can't give feedback on those.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've never been on the newer black pearl but have demoed the 2019 secret and LOVED it. I found the secret to be easy to turn, holds a great edge, very nimble and fun to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online