• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 USSA U19 GS Ski Radius 17m?

TS
H

Hermanator

Booting up
Skier
There are no changes from last year. In 2016-17, it was 30m (I believe that was the only year).
No wonder used 30m GS skis are so cheap...trying to sell my kid's skis. Now they are FIS only.

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
While a ussa only u19 could use a 17m ski you would have trouble finding that radius at the proper length
Depending on the racers size and weight they will probably end up with a u16 ski in the 23-27m range

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
USSA scored GS courses are typically set around 26ish meters. Not a good place for a 17m ski.

The 23 or 24 meter radius gs ski is common in the shorter (180) lengths, for those transitioning.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some master's skis are not bad. Fischer RCs come to mind... I like them so much I have 3 pairs. They would put up with your average 23m set, but maybe not so much in 26-30m sets. They're very stable considering the twitchy 18-19m radiuses... length is ok, the 185cm is I think 19m.

The question really is "how good and how fit is your kid?" - they're not racing FIS, right? Gliding on a ski is always better than pushing it around! For HS racing, a stable 19m can smoke almost anything... For around here, going to division 2 (non-FIS) with anything bigger than 23m means you have the cojones... or that's what your dad found on sale -insert guilty smile- !

Realistically, we train a lot more than we race and at this age and level, I might put more value on training, than racing fast! So, what's your training set on average? 30m?

Just for reference, since I just remembered about it, here's a 23m ski in an ~18-19m set - it *can* be done:

p.s. We carried 2 pairs to every non-FIS race, 18m and 23m and the selection was based on conditions!

Last edited:

knobby

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This rule change is really interesting. I understand the idea was to keep kids involved in the sport but I'm wondering if it could create a problem. Kids that do not race FIS will be able to take advantage of shapelier skis. It looks like Atomic has 2 GS lines for U19s (and under now). In the one line all the GS skis are under 20m radius (183 r19.4). Does this mean some kids will ski a tight radius ski for USSA races and a 30m radius for FIS? If not, are they at a disadvantage for USSA qualifiers and post season events? Could this hurt the development of the FIS skiers by training on 2 different radius GS skis?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
This rule change is really interesting. I understand the idea was to keep kids involved in the sport but I'm wondering if it could create a problem. Kids that do not race FIS will be able to take advantage of shapelier skis. It looks like Atomic has 2 GS lines for U19s (and under now). In the one line all the GS skis are under 20m radius (183 r19.4). Does this mean some kids will ski a tight radius ski for USSA races and a 30m radius for FIS? If not, are they at a disadvantage for USSA qualifiers and post season events? Could this hurt the development of the FIS skiers by training on 2 different radius GS skis?
Almost everyone who has serious FIS ambitions will be on the 30m ski in all GS events. USSS sets are still mostly in the 24-27m range. For non-FIS athletes, this rule basically negates the need to worry about equipment rules and instead ski on whatever is the most fun.