• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Tour de France

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Epic weekend of racing...it's wide open. So glad to see Ineos not being able to control it like the past few years. Hit me with your picks for the finish.

I'm picking Kruijswik or Bernal. I would love Alaphilippe to win but don't think he will hold on in the Alps, the last week is too brutal. Thomas isn't going to warrant Bernal's protection in the Alps cos he's looking vulnerable so they'll focus on Bernal. Kruijswik is looking strong and Jumbo Visma is having a great tour with some great support available for SK in the mountains. What about Pinot though, what are his credentials in the big mountains?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Are you a kiwi? I not, prey tell where else in the world has a national pastime of dishing it on Oz sportsmen?
Pom. Funny though we love Kiwis. Perhaps because they lack the same cheating/niggling genes ( and our easier to adopt as Brits e.g. Stokes)

As to who and how. Pinot has the momentum now. Don't think Ineos are dead yet and possibly have some more in the tank from the superdoms but it's not their usual way of winning. Today was pretty thrilling in the GC so looking forward to the last 3 days. Could still be up for grabs in Val Thorens and there's some interesting climbing up there.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Pom. Funny though we love Kiwis. Perhaps because they lack the same cheating/niggling genes ( and our easier to adopt as Brits e.g. Stokes)

Pom - of course...decent, witty, shared contempt - nice to meet brother :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Best: Trek Segafredo (always been a red, white and black fan) or Bora

Worst: Ineos (I liked the simplicity of Sky outfits but that dark red look isn't nice) and AG2R (brown rarely works)

I didn't mention Ineos because I wasn't sure if my dislike of their kit was colored by my hatred of all things Sky. Same goes for Astana.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I didn't mention Ineos because I wasn't sure if my dislike of their kit was colored by my hatred of all things Sky. Same goes for Astana.

:roflmao: I had to look beyond my hatred of all things Sky to mention that I thought their old kit was actually pretty nice

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Onto the final stretch, race is beautifully poised....so who is picking who? I'm going with my heart and for the French in picking Pinot. He's been sensational this week. If Bernal chugs his way to the win I would be stoked (for him, not Ineos). If Thomas wins I'll be astounded, he's fallen multiple times, and looked vulnerable - I can't see him staying with the others over the last three mountain stages.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in with Pinot too. Its been a long time since a Frenchie won their own Tour. I think that was the Badger (Hinault) in 85

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
NBC hiring Horner and Van der Welde as analysts was a brilliant stroke; their analysis is spot on and they are entertaining, especially Horner. I think we will keep seeing him on TV for a long time.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
We hav
NBC hiring Horner and Van der Welde as analysts was a brilliant stroke; their analysis is spot on and they are entertaining, especially Horner. I think we will keep seeing him on TV for a long time.

We have the Matthew Keenan / Robbie McEwen combo, they are brilliant also. Love Robbie's insights and interpretation of the nuances of the racing

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And today apparently might not even get off the ground. 59k and more thunderstorms and hail in the forecast. Bernal FTW?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was a surprise that Pinot dropped out. I thought he would have been able to hang in, but the mountains are different than racing on the flats. I am disappointed that Alaphillipe lost the yellow. I had started to think he would hang on all the way to Paris. Not to diminish Bernals efforts, but that is an odd way to get yellow. Im sure that was the prudent decision to shorten the race, but surely they had some forehand knowledge ( weather forecast?) that things might turn nasty, and made some decision before the start. That may have changed some riders strategies.
Oh well. As they say, Thats bicycle racing.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure there was forecast for thunderstorms, but thunderstorms, at least here in Alps are anything but predictable, and it's completely impossible to predict anything, and certainly impossible to predict something like this (5-8cm ice balls covering ground 10cm thick). Even when thunderstorms hit, you never really know what will it be. It can be light right or not even that, or it might be end of the world. And then it might be, what happened yesterday, which is anything but normal thing even for thunderstorms.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, it's all done now. Maybe the most interesting tour in ages, if slightly marred by the two shortened stages at the end.

New game: Name your favorite non-winning move in the tour.

For me, it was JA, cracking on the Galibier in Stage 18, then reeling the entire GC field back in on the descent, retaining the yellow jersey in the process.

Damn, that was some bike handling!!!

And name your saddest moment.

For me, it was Pinot withdrawing. For awhile there, I thought the French were going to surprise everybody, and win their own race.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
OK, it's all done now. Maybe the most interesting tour in ages, if slightly marred by the two shortened stages at the end.

New game: Name your favorite non-winning move in the tour.

For me, it was JA, cracking on the Galibier in Stage 18, then reeling the entire GC field back in on the descent, retaining the yellow jersey in the process.

Damn, that was some bike handling!!!

And name your saddest moment.

For me, it was Pinot withdrawing. For awhile there, I thought the French were going to surprise everybody, and win their own race.

Was a bit of a fizzer to end that way. I can't see how any of the others would have ridden down Bernal though. I reckon he would have extended his margin to Tignes and then been consistently strong again on stage 20. He was always there in the mountains, he never cracked. The only one not to have a weak moment. Amazing performance.

I think you've accurately summarised many cycling fans highlights. JA was just great the whole race. What a fighter and what a showman. His star is burning bright, very bright. If not for Bernal winning I think the memory of JA's performance would overshadow the winner.

I was so gutted for Pinot. He was so exciting in the Pyrenees, but seems so fragile. Gutted.

My other (parochial) highlight of the Tour was George Bennet falling twice on stage 19(?), getting back on to help Kruijswik, and still finishing 27th on the day. Champion performance. He can take some big credit for an awesome tour for Jumbo.

Sponsor

Staff online