• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2019 Stockli lineup overview

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey I've got room to store those Stocklis while you are out of town. I'll swing by in about 45 minutes. :D

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hey I've got room to store those Stocklis while you are out of town. I'll swing by in about 45 minutes. :D
Wow you even offer a pick-up service how can I say know … or better yet in how many different languages can I say no :roflmao:

Maybe I will see you at Crystal next weekend

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ok the Stockli's have landed and thought I would share some picks of my new skis :)

View attachment 69396 View attachment 69394 Love the structure on these. The sad thing is I was supposed to ski today but had a last minute trip come up so packing and heading the airport instead. Will have to wait until next weekend to break these bad boys in. In the meantime any advice on where to hide these while I am gone as I am now officially out of ski storage space :)

View attachment 69393
Not to worry additional wall rack on the way from Amazon as we speak. Still need to pick up a pair of next year's SR95s and my wife asked me if I thought she needed another pair of skis. As if she needed to ask, everyone needs another pair of skis ;-) For comparison:

My quiver as it stands today:
Volkl v-werks RTM for early season and lousy conditions (rocks)
Stockli Laser SX for carving groomers and hardpacked/ice
Enforcer 93 as a daily driver all mountain ski (soon to be replaced by the new SR95)
Enforcer 110 for pow slush and crud - cannot say enough good things about this ski.

My wife's quiver as it stands today:
Head Total Joy

We are heading to Banff in a week's time so will be getting her to demo some skis while there. Will ask on a separate thread but would love some recommendations for what to try :)

What are your thoughts on that Salomon Speed Plate that Stockli has been sticking on their skis? I just got the new Laser CX and I'm just not "feeling" this setup. The plate is lots of hollow plastic and the adjustment mechanism is bizarre with lots more plastic pieces. Makes me actually appreciate the engineering Tyrolia puts into their adjustable binders; all the critical parts are metal on metal gearing.

dovski

Skier
What are your thoughts on that Salomon Speed Plate that Stockli has been sticking on their skis? I just got the new Laser CX and I'm just not "feeling" this setup. The plate is lots of hollow plastic and the adjustment mechanism is bizarre with lots more plastic pieces. Makes me actually appreciate the engineering Tyrolia puts into their adjustable binders; all the critical parts are metal on metal gearing.
Are you referring to adjustable rail bindings from Tyrolia, system bindings or demo tracks? I have never seen metal race plates. Also to be clear race plates are not designed to be adjustable, at least the ones I have used aren’t, though you can remount bindings without drilling. I believe if you go with a Tyrolia race binding and race plate you will have a very similar experience. @Philpug please correct me if I am getting this wrong.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Are you referring to adjustable rail bindings from Tyrolia, system bindings or demo tracks? I have never seen metal race plates. Also to be clear race plates are not designed to be adjustable, at least the ones I have used aren’t, though you can remount bindings without drilling. I believe if you go with a Tyrolia race binding and race plate you will have a very similar experience. @Philpug please correct me if I am getting this wrong.

Yeah, I'm not referring to race plates, i'm asking about your thoughts on the Salomon speed plate that's on your new skis. That is NOT a race plate. I have the same thing on my new Laser CX pair that showed up this past Friday. I took it apart and checked out the construction. I'm not impressed.

dovski

Skier
Yeah, I'm not referring to race plates, i'm asking about your thoughts on the Salomon speed plate that's on your new skis. That is NOT a race plate. I have the same thing on my new Laser CX pair that showed up this past Friday. I took it apart and checked out the construction. I'm not impressed.
Ok I will have to take a closer look. I was thinking of them as beer league quasi raceplate, but I get your point.

dovski

Skier
What bindings do you have ?

dovski

Skier
Salomon SP12 Ti. This exact binding shown here on the Stockli site. Issue isn't with the binding, but the speed plate.
I get it. My X16s are pretty beefy and have a lot of metal so I think that makes up for your concerns with the plate. My understanding is that these plates and bindings were designed to go together. What does the setup look like with your binding? The real test is going to be how they ski, and my first time on my new skis will be Saturday

FB6973AE-5635-4E8A-9A9C-D614BD2A8C3B.jpeg

John Baumer

Booting up
Skier
Hope you get some firm groom to test these. Absolutely magnificent ski with vicious edge grip and big energy on turn exit. Surprisingly versatile as well. Stockli's can change your perception on how you look at the rest of your quiver. Looking forward to your observations.

dovski

Skier
Hope you get some firm groom to test these. Absolutely magnificent ski with vicious edge grip and big energy on turn exit. Surprisingly versatile as well. Stockli's can change your perception on how you look at the rest of your quiver. Looking forward to your observations.
Really looking forward to hitting it hard next weekend, I think the morning should be super firm and crusty, softening up in the afternoon at which time I will probably swap to my enforcer 93s. Morning should be fun though carving up the groomers. This is the narrowest ski I have owned in a long long time. My last narrow skis were the circa 1990’s Fischer RC4 Super SL with Marker M48 titanium bindings

Since then everything has gone much wider

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I get it. My X16s are pretty beefy and have a lot of metal so I think that makes up for your concerns with the plate. My understanding is that these plates and bindings were designed to go together. What does the setup look like with your binding? The real test is going to be how they ski, and my first time on my new skis will be Saturday

View attachment 69467

Now that I see the closer up picture, I see that it was my mistake. You don't have the same bindings/plates that are on my Laser CX.

dovski

Skier
Now that I see the closer up picture, I see that it was my mistake. You don't have the same bindings/plates that are on my Laser CX.
Ok that makes everything much clearer as I was a little confused before.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Noodler :
A few weeks ago I asked a tech at my local Stockli shop how to adjust for BSL on their rental/demo WRT-ST.
Between the heel & toe on the track was a "hatch". If you pinched the ends of the hatch then the hatch would open up and you could see a plastic tooth track. Is this what you are referring too ? Yes it does seem flimsy and unbecoming of what we expect of Stockli, but I assume they know what they are doing with their binding Partner. Who knows ? :huh:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler :
A few weeks ago I asked a tech at my local Stockli shop how to adjust for BSL on their rental/demo WRT-ST.
Between the heel & toe on the track was a "hatch". If you pinched the ends of the hatch then the hatch would open up and you could see a plastic tooth track. Is this what you are referring too ? Yes it does seem flimsy and unbecoming of what we expect of Stockli, but I assume they know what they are doing with their binding Partner. Who knows ? :huh:

Yes, that's part of this system. The whole speed plate and that mechanism I find highly suspect. It just reeks of "cheap". @Philpug - what's the word on this Salomon speed plate? What's the reputation of this setup? I'm seriously debating ripping it off and replacing it with my tried and true Tyrolia race setup.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, that's part of this system. The whole speed plate and that mechanism I find highly suspect. It just reeks of "cheap". @Philpug - what's the word on this Salomon speed plate? What's the reputation of this setup? I'm seriously debating ripping it off and replacing it with my tried and true Tyrolia race setup.
It is good, but damn heavy. Your inclination is right, run the Tyrolia race set up.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where can one buy plates for the Tyrolia/Head Freeflex bindings ?
I can find the Freeflex 14 & 16 bindings from many sources, but plates ( Tyrolia/Head, or even Look & Marker ) are tough to find.

Sponsor

Staff online