• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What length did you end up with @AlpedHuez ? I have the 182s and had never tried them with the bindings moved forward. I had set them up at +3 just to try it out and never got the chance before the season was cut short. Still sitting in that position ready for next year.

I don’t even have bindings on the Stormriders that i just bought and am eying up the SC’s, SL’s and SX’s. This group is hard on my wallet. :)

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
What length did you end up with @AlpedHuez ? I have the 182s and had never tried them with the bindings moved forward.

I had them set up on the line, but was looking at the track and there appears to be some play [My BSL 308]. I’ve only ever moved around demo bindings, so I’m not quite sure how to line up properly if I knock em forward +1 or +2 ... any and all guidance welcome! (Including: Leave the setups to the professional shop guys).

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t even have bindings on the Stormriders that i just bought and am eying up the SC’s, SL’s and SX’s. This group is hard on my wallet. :)

When you already have the AX and the SR, in my view the SL will offer the smallest overlap and will provide a different dimension.
But that's just my opinion. I have AX and SL and the next step is GS or SR. Eventually I will have them both, just have not decided what to buy first.
We'll see...

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The SL is the best ski I have ever skied, and I've owned a lot of skis. (Haven't skied the AX though. I own the SC and love it, but the SL is the balls!)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The SL is the best ski I have ever skied, and I've owned a lot of skis.

I hear that quite often from many people.
I only tried the 2016 model in 160 cm but in conditions totally unsuitable for any SL ski-soft snow/slush.
While doable, it wasn't the best experience, but it is quite understandable, these ski are not made for this.
And besides, after the heavenly bliss that AX in 175 are, 160 was just too short and took some getting used to.

My SL 2020 in 165 arrived too late-after The Lockdown and I could not test them......damn...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I only tried the 2016 model in 160 cm but in conditions totally unsuitable for any SL ski-soft snow/slush.
While doable, it wasn't the best experience, but it is quite understandable, these ski are not made for this.
And besides, after the heavenly bliss that AX in 175 are, 160 was just too short and took some getting used to.

Contrary to common belief, a pair of FIS SL is great in slush. Don't believe me? Ask @James .

If 160 is too short. You have fore aft balance issues. @A Grump , who is #200+ and has skied with many on this forum routinely rolls around on a pair of 158 FIS SL. Steeps, bumps, trees, ice, hard pack, powder or whatever.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If 160 is too short. You have fore aft balance issues.

I know. At first the feeling was like the tails were too long, too bity, which of course is ridiculous. It took 3-4 runs until I found the balance. And they still felt short perhaps because I am too used to the 175 and just used to see....more ski when I look down. Yeah, stupid, I know, but it was that way. :)

Not to worry tho, with 165 the issue will be quickly fixed as soon as I can spend solid couple of days on them.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And they still felt short

Then your turns are not round enough.

Size of the ship.jpg

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I’ve been skiing a few years, averaging 25 days a year out west, which is pretty good for someone in Florida. I don’t own skis because I haven’t found that near perfect pair until ... I demo’d the women’s Stockli Nela 88 (160) on 2/28. Yes, I remember the date, the time, the alignment of the sun, moon and stars.

My research tells me the Nela 88 flat will likely be MSRP $999+. Admittedly, this cost, plus bindings, is not in my budget. I’m seeing that new women’s Stormrider 85’s are coming available for a more approachable cost and they also include bindings.

Other than the slight difference in waist and length, is there a compelling reason to wait another year for the Nela?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been skiing a few years, averaging 25 days a year out west, which is pretty good for someone in Florida. I don’t own skis because I haven’t found that near perfect pair until ... I demo’d the women’s Stockli Nela 88 (160) on 2/28. Yes, I remember the date, the time, the alignment of the sun, moon and stars.

My research tells me the Nela 88 flat will likely be MSRP $999+. Admittedly, this cost, plus bindings, is not in my budget. I’m seeing that new women’s Stormrider 85’s are coming available for a more approachable cost and they also include bindings.

Other than the slight difference in waist and length, is there a compelling reason to wait another year for the Nela?
Paging @LindseyB !

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
This is the PM I sent Tiki.

I wouldn't waste another year of your ski life not being on a Stockli. Appease your budget and get the 85.

I don't feel that the difference between the 88 and 85 is noticeable enough to justify the higher cost if you can get a sweet deal on the closeout 85. Just make sure it is new and unused. Demoed skis are not likely to feel the same as what you found in the 88 as the demo shops usually put cheap tunes on the skis.

The 85 and 88 are very similar, almost identical in feel.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
This is the PM I sent Tiki.

I wouldn't waste another year of your ski life not being on a Stockli. Appease your budget and get the 85.

I don't feel that the difference between the 88 and 85 is noticeable enough to justify the higher cost if you can get a sweet deal on the closeout 85. Just make sure it is new and unused. Demoed skis are not likely to feel the same as what you found in the 88 as the demo shops usually put cheap tunes on the skis.

The 85 and 88 are very similar, almost identical in feel.

Just took delivery of my new SR 85’s today. Thanks!

Vendome1888

Booting up
Skier
Stockli Spirit Evo -- can someone give any info on this ski, and how it compares to the more well known Stockli skis?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Never skied it, but one of three in the Spirit series for 2017-18 season, priced higher than the Axis and lower than the Scale series; Spirit & Scale both dropped in 2018-19
All Combicore: Wood/Laminated Fiberglass Core
Spirit Globe: 122-72-104 lengths/radius 149/11.1 156/12.3 163/13.5 170/15.0 177/16.2
Spirit Evo: 122-79-108 lengths/radius 155/13.7 163/15.3 171/17.0 179/ 18.8
Spirit Motion: 122-68-100 lengths/radius 149/10.5 156/11.6 163/12.8

Reactions: Flo

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Considering upgrading my 2016/17 AXs to the current generation: what improvements could I expect to encounter?

Sponsor

Staff online