• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Looking for some advice in sizing 2020 Stormriders. I’m a solid upper intermediate skier who just returned a few years ago. I ski the east and currently have 2019 AXs (182) and Rustler 9s (180). Was looking at the SRs as I’m starting to go off trail and also wanted something for the spring snow/crud days. The Rustlers are fun but just too short with their rocker. I’m considering the SRs but debating between the 184s and 193s. Leaning towards the 184s but I’m not sure if they ski close to size. I’m 6’3” and 250 so skis bend under me.
SR95, not 88 or 105, correct? A little earlier in the thread, we discuss how while the AX skis longer, the SR does not, even skis shorter. So maybe the 193 SR95 would actually be best for you?

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I was considering the SR95s. I’ll go back to the beginning and take a look for that. Wasn’t sure how much rocker they had and if they skied short. I actually had been meaning all season to try moving up my bindings on my AXs just to see how they felt. Finally did it and then everything shut down.... next year!

AlpedHuez

Skier
Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I was considering the SR95s. I’ll go back to the beginning and take a look for that. Wasn’t sure how much rocker they had and if they skied short. I actually had been meaning all season to try moving up my bindings on my AXs just to see how they felt. Finally did it and then everything shut down.... next year!
It was actually more recent, a page or two back, when others were trying to talk me out of bidding on a lightly used 182 AX vs picking up the 175 new.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@mikes781 - I'm not 6' 3" 250lbs., but I also don't primarily pick my ski lengths based on my size. I pick the ski based on the purpose I need it for in my quiver. I have short SL skis (165cm) and long deep-snow skis (190cm). I let the sidecut and where on the mountain I expect to primarily use the skis dictate which ski and length I select.

I ski the SR95 in 183/184cm (they changed the sizing along the way). I ski it in that size because of what I need it to do on the mountain. I feel that your size will dictate which ski model you select more so than the length. You need a ski with the flex pattern that matches your weight and skill.

Note that the SR95 has changed with each model iteration (this has been discussed elsewhere; look for @LindseyB's posts on this). So you should also consider which model year of the SR95 you are buying.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AlpedHuez thanks I see where someone suggested that it current SR95 skis closer to -5 cm.

Thanks @Noodler I’m looking at the current model and after reading through this and another thread the consensus seems to be that it has a little less metal and is a little softer. I don’t want to go with a longer ski if I don’t need to. I’d like to take them into the trees on occasion. A lot of our trails are narrow and the crowds don’t always lend themselves to big turns although that is what I like to do.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking for some advice in sizing 2020 Stormriders. I’m a solid upper intermediate skier who just returned a few years ago. I ski the east and currently have 2019 AXs (182) and Rustler 9s (180). Was looking at the SRs as I’m starting to go off trail and also wanted something for the spring snow/crud days. The Rustlers are fun but just too short with their rocker. I’m considering the SRs but debating between the 184s and 193s. Leaning towards the 184s but I’m not sure if they ski close to size. I’m 6’3” and 250 so skis bend under me.
If you skied the west and or you were a advanced/ expert you definitely would want the 193's but back east IMO. 184 will be the right sized ski. The woods/ glades in the east are typically a lot tighter than out west. The other missing ( or at least I missed it ) is your age. I am 65 and5'10 and shrinking 170 lbs and the 175's are a good size for me , If I was in my 40's and charging as I used to 184's would be better. So If your skill level is increasing at a steep uphill trajectory, that's the only thing that may alter my recommendation.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Brad J I just hit 50 and although I’m not skiing like I was when I was young and dumb in my 20s I do like to push and challenge myself. I have young teens that can’t keep up with me yet but I’m sure I’ll be chasing them in a few years so I need to be ready. :) I’ve been leaning towards the 184s. Only thing that had me really questioning whether to go bigger was my experience with my 180 Rustlers. They have been collecting dust since I picked up the AXs. I pulled them out the last day of this season and they felt like ski blades compared to the AXs. Apple to oranges comparison to the stocklis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks @Brad J I just hit 50 and although I’m not skiing like I was when I was young and dumb in my 20s I do like to push and challenge myself. I have young teens that can’t keep up with me yet but I’m sure I’ll be chasing them in a few years so I need to be ready. :) I’ve been leaning towards the 184s. Only thing that had me really questioning whether to go bigger was my experience with my 180 Rustlers. They have been collecting dust since I picked up the AXs. I pulled them out the last day of this season and they felt like ski blades compared to the AXs. Apple to oranges comparison to the stocklis.

If you consider the "risk" in being wrong with the length selection (since you can't demo the different lengths before purchase), then there is more risk with the 193cm being too long and the 175 being too short. I doubt the 184 would end up feeling too short and it's certainly not too long at your size.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’m just going to put this out there and no offense - but you got the 9s NOT in the 188’s - and while you say they are too short and no doubt are. Do really want to take a 193 ski (laws of the physical world don’t go away) down a bumped up run offpiste run for several thousand feet In variable conditions? I’ve had the 184s for 3 seasons - the only time I’ve wished they were longer were on wide open western groomers with nobody on them <- like once or twice. but I’m 6’1” or so and 185.

they dont have anywhere near the rustler level of rocker. At least mine don’t (Tartan top sheets).

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the good feedback. In the end I’d prefer to go with the shortest ski that does the job and it sounds like the 184 is a safe bet. Now to keep my eyes open and hope for a good deal.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'll endorse that. Ski Sharp is good to deal with.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Brad J and @Jim McDonald thanks... reached out to Ski Sharp and will be ordering the 184s from him. Just deciding between getting them mounted with the Marker Griffons 13 he’s offering or picking up Tyrolia Attacks and mounting them myself.

LBK454

Booting up
Skier
Under the FWIW category, I wanted to give my thoughts on the 175 vs 182 AX. I’m 60 years old, 6’4” tall and weigh 240 lbs. I’m fairly fit, I’ve skied for about 45 years, and usually ski 20-25 days a year. I ski at a pretty advanced level on most terrain. Until this year I was skiing a Volkl RTM 84 in 182. Last summer I bought the AX in 182 and was excited to try it. Then a friend who had to quit skiing sold me his year old AX’s in 175. I had both skis tuned and skied a half day on each for several trips to compare them.

The 182’s on the line required really driving the tips to make them turn the way I wanted. If I wasn’t driving the tips, the skis actually felt a bit squirrelly . On the line the tips felt heavy and they were a lot of work on steeps and bumps. They did feel like they skied longer than 182. I played with the mount point from + .5 to +1 to +1.5 to + 2 to +2.5. I ended up settling on +2. At +2 the skis became much more fun, lighter feeling tips, and enjoyable on all terrain except tight areas or tight bumps. As the season progressed, they became my ski for fast skiing on groomers or days with a lot of crud / chopped snow. Even at +2 I can feel them in my legs at the end of the day, whereas that was not the case with the 175 AX’s.

As for the 175’s, at my height and weight, I really debated whether to even get them but took the chance. I was concerned that I would overpower them or they wouldn’t feel stable at speed. On the line they were good, but I tried them at + .5 to +1 to +1.5. I settled on +1.0 and they became amazing. They can do anything anywhere. Even at my height and weight they never felt as though I was overpowering them. Edge hold was amazing even at fast high angle turns. These skis became my daily driver when I wanted to ski everywhere, including tight bumps, trees, etc.

So since I own both the 175 and 182, am I glad I have both? In a word “yes.” They are both great skis. The 175’s can do almost everything the 182’s can, but are not as tiring at the end of the day. In hindsight, if I had to do it all over again, and had to pick only one, it would be the 175’s without question.

I hope this helps those who find themselves debating the 175 vs 182.

Codger

Booting up
Skier
I’ve had success buying stockli demos In like new condition from ski sharp(only sell stockli)in waitsfield vt

AlpedHuez

Skier
Finally joined the club today:cool: ... or is it a cult??? :ogbiggrin:
73A4421E-D259-4B9D-9CDA-FFBDC505A2A3.jpeg

AlpedHuez

Skier
Yes, indeed. I know a little something about cults, having grown up in the Bay Area in the aftermath of Jim Jones' Peoples Temple aka Jonestown, where many of the victims came from Oakland. And a college friend of mine grew up in a small San Diego cult, an experience she drew from for her one-woman show, Temple Tantrum, which was featured in the Hollywood Fringe Festival a few years ago.

Sponsor

Staff online