• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After now having multiple days on the 19 AX I'd discourage intermediates while encouraging them to find prior versions. The initiation on the 19-s is really easy and dependable which would encourage carving/arcing. But those tails are race ski tails way more than prior versions. They'd be ACL threatening particularly if the only time a skier really accessed them was unintended from the backseat.

The prior versions however could be considered, they actually have better feel although they don't perform at the 19-s level.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After now having multiple days on the 19 AX I'd discourage intermediates while encouraging them to find prior versions. The initiation on the 19-s is really easy and dependable which would encourage carving/arcing. But those tails are race ski tails way more than prior versions. They'd be ACL threatening particularly if the only time a skier really accessed them was unintended from the backseat.

The prior versions however could be considered, they actually have better feel although they don't perform at the 19-s level.

:drool:
Anyone interested in trading their 2019 for my 2017 (non-turtleshell) AX 167?

Jean-Benoit

Putting on skis
Skier

Hi Lorenzzo,
If you've tried both, how would you compare the tails (and the overall flex) of the '19 Laser AXs vs. recent Head i.Rallys? Thanks!

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hi, I am new here. Saw some of Dawgcatcher's excellent analysis on Stockli and thought I'd join in to see if I can be of help. I am the Intermountain Stockli Rep. The Pugski crew rolls through my tent each year at the Snowbasin demo. I know the product very well and am close with the design team.

I'll check in from time to time to see if you guys have questions I can answer for you.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi, I am new here. Saw some of Dawgcatcher's excellent analysis on Stockli and thought I'd join in to see if I can be of help. I am the Intermountain Stockli Rep. The Pugski crew rolls through my tent each year at the Snowbasin demo. I know the product very well and am close with the design team.

I'll check in from time to time to see if you guys have questions I can answer for you.

Awesome! Any changes to the Laser SC/SX for next year?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
The SX stays identical to this year for 19/20. I'm not allowed to comment on the 2019/20 & 20/21 SC until after Outdoor Retailer. Catch my drift? wink wink.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Lindsey, are you the one who’s participated in PCMR’s Masters demo day?

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier

Hmmm ... that explains why I'm pleasantly surprised by my new '19 AX, which I bought on a lark last fall. Shortly thereafter I read a pile of reviews that praised it as "a great ski for intermediates", making my heart sink with the fear that the AX would be a floppy, mid-performing noodle. I wanted the much-lauded versatility but I didn't want excessive dumbing down. Lo and behold, the '19 AX has turned out to be quite the performer with powerful turn completion (and of course quick initiation), but perhaps not as user-friendly as intermediates might like. Yup, you gotta remember to stay ahead of these puppies ... maybe that's why so many buyers want to shift their bindings forward.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
maybe that's why so many buyers want to shift their bindings forward.

no, I think all Stocklis need to be forward very slightly. +5mm to 1cm at most unless you just want to ski them on open terrain and make larger radius turns.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hi Lindsey, are you the one who’s participated in PCMR’s Masters demo day?
I was there when Steph was running it. Last time was December of 2017. Jan's is one of my accounts.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
no, I think all Stocklis need to be forward very slightly. +5mm to 1cm at most unless you just want to ski them on open terrain and make larger radius turns.

Moving forward can at times makes sense. I would never move back from a Stockli line.

I often suggest moving forward when someone is riding a more upright boot i.e. 12 degree. I discourage it when someone is a very forward skier or in a very forward tilted boot i.e. 16-17 degree.

Playing around to find your personal preference does no harm. I use the above observation as a quick litmus test to see if moving forward might be beneficial.

DTSugarbushVT

Booting up
Skier

Hi Lindsay, What changes are in store for the Stormriders?

Jean-Benoit

Putting on skis
Skier
My experience as well. 1cm forward on '19 AXs. Unrelated to my skiing stance.

Jean-Benoit

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmmm ... that explains why I'm pleasantly surprised by my new '19 AX, which I bought on a lark last fall. Shortly thereafter I read a pile of reviews that praised it as "a great ski for intermediates", making my heart sink with the fear that the AX would be a floppy, mid-performing noodle. I wanted the much-lauded versatility but I didn't want excessive dumbing down. Lo and behold, the '19 AX has turned out to be quite the performer with powerful turn completion (and of course quick initiation), but perhaps not as user-friendly as intermediates might like. Yup, you gotta remember to stay ahead of these puppies ... maybe that's why so many buyers want to shift their bindings forward.
I also just got some '19 Laser AXs. My experience mirrors yours : I can't see them being quite that easy for intermediates (or as easy as the previous version was, by some accounts). If they have a decent skiing stance, they'll certainly be able to ski them, but maybe not use that somewhat stiffer tail and access the sweet extra gear. Still working on it myself.