• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Can someone who has skied the 182 AX please comment on suitability (175 not feasible option at present) for myself, 5’7” 185, Level III+, aggressive all-mountain charger/carver spending more and more time off piste (for which I do have wider skis)?. For reference, the longest ski I have (skied) is M5 and G9 @ 177, and I’ve also enjoyed and competently demoed the Deacon 84 at that same length, although I ultimately got the 172. (I also just got a 180 Brahma but haven’t skied it). Thanks!

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just one opinion, but when I demo'd last year, I preferred the 182 over the 175 primarily for it's high speed performance-it was more stable. I just picked up a pair of lightly used 182 demos from a local shop-unfortunately the day our local hill closed, so I haven't had a chance to ski them (next season I hope!). My use will be primarily as a on piste/groomer charger-I've got Stormrider 88s in 177 for bumps/cut up snow/trees.
I do recall the AX 182 as being decent in bumps

I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs. +/- aggressive old man skier.

I do have a pair of Atomic G9/183 that I use for local beer league racing (and had the 177 which my daughter has now), so I'm familiar with them. The Stockli AX will probably not have quite the edge grip of the Atomics, but should have the smoothness that Stockli is known for. I guess I'll find out.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Just one opinion, but when I demo'd last year, I preferred the 182 over the 175 primarily for it's high speed performance-it was more stable. I just picked up a pair of lightly used 182 demos from a local shop-unfortunately the day our local hill closed, so I haven't had a chance to ski them (next season I hope!). My use will be primarily as a on piste/groomer charger-I've got Stormrider 88s in 177 for bumps/cut up snow/trees.
I do recall the AX 182 as being decent in bumps

I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs. +/- aggressive old man skier.

I do have a pair of Atomic G9/183 that I use for local beer league racing (and had the 177 which my daughter has now), so I'm familiar with them. The Stockli AX will probably not have quite the edge grip of the Atomics, but should have the smoothness that Stockli is known for. I guess I'll find out.
Thank you, very helpful!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome home to my new babies:

IMG_7677.jpg

And good night my sweet princes:

IMG_7678.jpg

See you next season.

Damn, zipping up this bag felt like watching Han Solo in that pit before they froze him in carbonite...

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can someone who has skied the 182 AX please comment on suitability (175 not feasible option at present) for myself, 5’7” 185, Level III+, aggressive all-mountain charger/carver spending more and more time off piste (for which I do have wider skis)?. For reference, the longest ski I have (skied) is M5 and G9 @ 177, and I’ve also enjoyed and competently demoed the Deacon 84 at that same length, although I ultimately got the 172. (I also just got a 180 Brahma but haven’t skied it). Thanks!

Paging @mdf

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ what a nice pair !

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the current owner of my pair says it turned out to be a tuning issue, exacerbated by the mount point! So now I don't know what to think. The bottoms of the skis looked so beautiful underfoot (flat, great structure, sharp edges) that I did not think to check along the full length of the ski.
Here's the post where ScottB comes to his conclusion:
I tried my bindings at various positions (+4, +2, 0) the other day at Loon Mtn. Great day to test skis, very empty and good snow. I was there this past thursday. Quick report is I sharpened the tips of the skis from about 1" before contact point to about 2-3" past contact point. Made a huge difference. The heavy tip feeling went away except for just a very slight amount at the 0 position. If it wasn't for all the attention I have been giving these skis, wouldn't even have noticed the heavy tip feeling. The results are the skis feel good at all 3 spots, as you move the bindings forward they turn quicker and make a shorter radius turn. +4 is approaching slalom ski turns and at 0 they feel like cheater GS skis turns (medium radius). I can now make any turn radius I want at any position, depending on how much I pressure the tips and roll the ski on edge. Basically they ski really well an like they should. Setting your binding position by how quick you want them to come around. Even at +4 the skis are stable at speed, but the tips are noticably more nervous at high speeds compared to 0. I decided to go with +2 as a good compromise and use them on various terrain to get a better feel. After another ski day at Stratton (trying to rack up some Ikon pass usage) at +2. I might try a little closer to the line, Stratton is a "cruisers" mtn with wide flat slopes. (ie you can go really fast on their slopes).

Final response is I did not try the Fischer Pro Mtn 86's. I skied with a friend who had them and we were going to trade skis but never did that day. After watching him ski, I can say his skis had no where the grip on hard snow the AX's have. He could also make much shorter radius turns than I could (it was the ski, not the skier). The Fishcer's have a much shorter natural turn radius than the AX's (caveat: this was before tip sharpening of the AX's and mounted at +2)

Still, I have skied all 3 lengths (not the same year) and would strongly recommend the 175 for most people.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Still, I have skied all 3 lengths (not the same year) and would strongly recommend the 175 for most people.

How did you find the 182 though? Too much/little of what: manoeuvrability in the tight spots vs stability in the long run-outs, general heaviness underfoot? I have more of a race ski vs free ski background, so I don't mind having to swing around a longer, heavier ski. In an ideal world, I would be testing both, and having the option to buy both at the same price point. This is just a unique opportunity that has come up where a local/regional guy is selling his two-weeks-used 182s so he can shift to touring skis. And I don't have that option at 175. So my choice is: go for this 182, or wait out, perhaps in vain, for a deal on a 175.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How did you find the 182 though? Too much/little of what: manoeuvrability in the tight spots vs stability in the long run-outs, general heaviness underfoot? I have more of a race ski vs free ski background, so I don't mind having to swing around a longer, heavier ski. In an ideal world, I would be testing both, and having the option to buy both at the same price point. This is just a unique opportunity that has come up where a local/regional guy is selling his two-weeks-used 182s so he can shift to touring skis. And I don't have that option at 175. So my choice is: go for this 182, or wait out, perhaps in vain, for a deal on a 175.
A buddy of mine who is a Stockli freak and absolutely loves the AX while being a former Masters racer says this about the 182.... ”They (182’s) are great if you can bench press 1000 pounds and/or ski like Bode Miller..., if you can’t get the 175’s”

Hyperbole? Sure, but take it for what it is.

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
A buddy of mine who is a Stockli freak and absolutely loves the AX while being a former Masters racer says this about the 182.... ”They (182’s) are great if you can bench press 1000 pounds and/or ski like Bode Miller..., if you can’t get the 175’s”

Hyperbole? Sure, but take it for what it is.
Thats quite the visceral, evocative quote. Big point taken. Thank you

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
5’7” 185, Level III+, aggressive all-mountain charger/carver

Not the 182.

AX in 175 or shorter based on your height/weight. On groomers, the AX skis like +3 cm of its printed length. The SR95 skis like -5 cm of the printed length.

I have skied the AX in 182 and 175. I am 210 lbs, 6' tall and pretty fit though... For me, the 182 is made to rip big GS turns and chew through terrain (mostly groomed and steep) quickly. The extra length makes crud/chop a bit easier and inspires confidence on steeper groomed terrain. If I was restricted to skiing black groomers all day, I would pick 182 (for me) over the 175. The 175 was better for making lots of turns and a little less awkward in moguls. Also much better for noodling around with slower skiers.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AX in 175 or shorter based on your height/weight. On groomers, the AX skis like +3 cm of its printed length. The SR95 skis like -5 cm of the printed length.

Thanks for this info! Very useful to know as I was wondering which size Laser GS to choose for the next season.

On full speed I sometimes wish my AX were a touch longer, so 180 cm GS seems the most logical choice.

On the other hand I am glad to hear the SR95 ski shorter as I am going to go for 184 cm and I really do not like long ski.

All the above provided we will get this corona thingy over with quickly and can reopen the business.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
Not the 182.

I have skied the AX in 182 and 175. I am 210 lbs, 6' tall and pretty fit though... For me, the 182 is made to rip big GS turns and chew through terrain (mostly groomed and steep) quickly. The extra length makes crud/chop a bit easier and inspires confidence on steeper groomed terrain. If I was restricted to skiing black groomers all day, I would pick 182 (for me) over the 175. The 175 was better for making lots of turns and a little less awkward in moguls. Also much better for noodling around with slower skiers.
Thank you, Seldom, great insights and analysis here. Much appreciated, everyone.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am the current owner of MDF's 183 cm AX's. You will like the 175 length better, but you won't have any problem skiing the 183s. In general, what everyone says about them is accurate. They are a heavy, powerful, carving ski. They have race ski construction, but a versatile design. They are much softer than a race ski. I fixed a dull tip tune issue and the ski now turns like a 17 m radius should. As bought from MFD, the ski turned like my 27 m, 193 cm FIS race ski. Although I haven't skied the 175, I bet it does almost everything the 183 does with less weight and more manuverability. In terms of your available deal, if very cheap then go for it. If your paying something like $600, wait for a 175 to come along, that's what you really should be on. I have a 187 Brahma and the Ax is more ski. The 183 AX feels like a 190 cm ski that turns a little quicker. I think the other laser skis stop at a 178 cm and probably for good reason. I could be wrong about that, though

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the other laser skis stop at a 178 cm and probably for good reason. I could be wrong about that, though

AR and SX go to 182 and GS-to 185.
I only know that because I have been eyeing the GS pretty intensely for the last month or so. :)

AlpedHuez

Skier
I am the current owner of MDF's 183 cm AX's. You will like the 175 length better, but you won't have any problem skiing the 183s. In general, what everyone says about them is accurate. They are a heavy, powerful, carving ski. They have race ski construction, but a versatile design. They are much softer than a race ski. I fixed a dull tip tune issue and the ski now turns like a 17 m radius should. As bought from MFD, the ski turned like my 27 m, 193 cm FIS race ski. Although I haven't skied the 175, I bet it does almost everything the 183 does with less weight and more manuverability. In terms of your available deal, if very cheap then go for it. If your paying something like $600, wait for a 175 to come along, that's what you really should be on. I have a 187 Brahma and the Ax is more ski. The 183 AX feels like a 190 cm ski that turns a little quicker. I think the other laser skis stop at a 178 cm and probably for good reason. I could be wrong about that, though
All good points, thank you @ScottB. I'm in the UK, where the tendency is for US/UK products to share the same numerical value at first sale, which of course means UK consumers paying more on the conversion. Pound is weaker now, but the available deal is around what you pegged, only in GBP. I won't get in a bidding war if it's not quite right for me anyway.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
£600 is not a great deal for a slightly used pair of skis that is NOT the perfect size, as said above why compromise for 150 GBP or so??? For the cost of a daily lift ticket? No Way!

I searched several times a day at all of the likely online retail sites waiting for the sales. I nailed it at 35% off for a sale price of $779 ( £663.76). The deal you are talking about is NOT a great deal.

Your problem might be finding a 175 on sale which is likely the most popular length.

Don’t compromise for £63 IF you could find them for 35% off.

To rationalize things, suppose you are gonna ski them for 200 days, cost difference between full retail (if that is the best you can do for a 175 cm) then it is £421 more than your deal on a compromised length. £421 divided by 200 days is a grand total of £2.10 per day.

Yeah, I am good at rationalizing