• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stick with the Motion 85W as your daily driver.
You and Mamie are the same size. Mamie uses couple pairs of 85W as her DD. Her powder ski is a pair of SR95 (157). She will take the SR95 out if there is more than 6" fresh. Her comment was the SR95 requires much more effort in the bumps. More stress on the knees also.

Don't forget the size differential between you and Bob. A 95 on him is more like a 78 on you. A 95 on you is more like a 110 on him.

My wife is 5’10” and about 145 and very athletic, so the SR95’s in fresh snow are perfect. She can carve them on groomers as well when needed

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife is 5’10” and about 145 and very athletic, so the SR95’s in fresh snow are perfect. She can carve them on groomers as well when needed

The SR95 is a nice ski for more open terrain like those found in Deer Valley.

Having skied with @Pat AKA mustski recently and knowing she is looking for real estate in the other valley - Taos Ski Valley. I would say the 85W is a much better fit for the slightly tighter terrain of TSV.

Kachina Peak - One of the more open terrain pods in TSV.
TSVI Kachina Peak.jpg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski

Just to pile-on... I demoed the 184 SR95 and found they skied a little shorter than the 'published' length. No idea how the rocker on the SR95 compares to the 85W. To me the 184 felt more like a 180 all mountain ski with less rocker -length felt comparable to a 180 Brahma or Kendo.

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
The plate is screwed to the ski, so yes additional drilling. The bindings are then screwed to the plate.
You can add a plate at any time and with some exceptions remove them.
The bindings have to match the plate, so for example a Marker Piston plate requires Marker race bindings.

So what happens to the holes created by removing the originally mounted bindings? Is the ski weakened or affected?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski

Just to pile-on... I demoed the 184 SR95 and found they skied a little shorter than the 'published' length. No idea how the rocker on the SR95 compares to the 85W. To me the 184 felt more like a 180 all mountain ski with less rocker -length felt comparable to a 180 Brahma or Kendo.

good to know. Thanks
@Pat AKA mustski - Not sure if you're gonna make it to Tahoe anytime soon (and I wouldn't rush that trip, since we've had a dry November), but Squaw has the SR85 and 95 in its demo fleet this year.

I think I’m decided on the 85w which I already demoed. If you see them starting to sell the demo fleet, can you give me a heads up?

Last edited:

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I think I’m decided on the 85w which I already demoed. If you see them starting to sell the demo fleet, can you give me a heads up?
Sure thing. Considering they are getting replaced by the Nena, I'm guessing they will sell them. Did you find they skied short? Was going to demo them for shits and giggles, though more curious about the Nena 95 for next year. Hoping that Squaw will have them for demo.

And I meant a dry February. Not sure where "November" cam from. Brain fart.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure thing. Considering they are getting replaced by the Nena, I'm guessing they will sell them. Did you find they skied short? Was going to demo them for shits and giggles, though more curious about the Nena 95 for next year. Hoping that Squaw will have them for demo.
I did not think they skied short. They felt much the same length as Volkl 90eights. The Renouns that I bought from you have become my DD in SoCal since it is pretty much all front side skiing. I sold my Nordica's Hells Belles. I demoed the 85Ws because I was curious about them after @KingGrump 's wife raved about hers. I shouldn't have tried them! Truthfully, they were so versatile that they could replace everything but my powder skis. We are coming to Squaw the last week of April. Hopefully, you can make it for a day and we can ski some runs together ... just NOT Oregon trail!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not think they skied short. They felt much the same length as Volkl 90eights. The Renouns that I bought from you have become my DD in SoCal since it is pretty much all front side skiing. I sold my Nordica's Hells Belles. I demoed the 85Ws because I was curious about them after @KingGrump 's wife raved about hers. I shouldn't have tried them! Truthfully, they were so versatile that they could replace everything but my powder skis. We are coming to Squaw the last week of April. Hopefully, you can make it for a day and we can ski some runs together ... just NOT Oregon trail!

Truth! I skied the Nela 88 in a 160, and they did not ski short IMO yet they felt great at that length! Want!

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Truth! I skied the Nela 88 in a 160, and they did not ski short IMO yet they felt great at that length! Want!

Did you also get to test the Nela 96? I'm looking forward to that one in the 160-ish range.

Sponsor

Staff online