• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
In fact, it was so much better for my purposes that I have to wonder why there's not much noise about it online, and the AX gets all the attention.

I’m not sure some of the dealers understand anything other than fatter skis!

I just demo’d the SC and had a blast on it. Unfortunately dealer did not have my size left in stock and was not interested in selling his demo’s of that size. No problem, went to the other dealer who claimed to have the right size in the stock. But when I arrived they pitched me the AX and didn't understand why I would want anything narrower than the AX in VT conditions. Turns out they don’t stock the SC. They also suggested I consider the SR88 for more versatility. I already have the SR88 and wanted the SC.

Called a 3rd dealer about 1hr away, they has the SC w/ the 11 din system bindings and offered me a free Look SPX binding as the promo. I asked if they could keep the free Look binding and maybe take $50 off the price of the SC. Nope, no dice & the price they offered me with the 11 din system binding was almost the same price as others sell the SC with the 13 din binding.

Kuuseensuksija

Booting up
Skier

Actually it was the opposite for me. The dealer was as convinced as Lindsey that I need the SC for piste skiing, but was of the opinion that AR is the real all-mountain version if I have need for that capability. He thought the AX is a kind of in-between model in the range that doesn't make sense to him with the AR around. Anyway, I was looking for piste prowess so SC it is.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually it was the opposite for me. The dealer was as convinced as Lindsey that I need the SC for piste skiing, but was of the opinion that AR is the real all-mountain version if I have need for that capability. He thought the AX is a kind of in-between model in the range that doesn't make sense to him with the AR around. Anyway, I was looking for piste prowess so SC it is.
You live in Europe, which is probably the reason.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer

I just demo’d the SC and had a blast on it. Unfortunately dealer did not have my size left in stock and was not interested in selling his demo’s of that size. No problem, went to the other dealer who claimed to have the right size in the stock. But when I arrived they pitched me the AX and didn't understand why I would want anything narrower than the AX in VT conditions. Turns out they don’t stock the SC. They also suggested I consider the SR88 for more versatility. I already have the SR88 and wanted the SC.

Called a 3rd dealer about 1hr away, they has the SC w/ the 11 din system bindings and offered me a free Look SPX binding as the promo. I asked if they could keep the free Look binding and maybe take $50 off the price of the SC. Nope, no dice & the price they offered me with the 11 din system binding was almost the same price as others sell the SC with the 13 din binding.

What length are you trying to track down?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I am still skiing on the 2015 Laser SC's in 170 and it's still the perfect piste ski for me in the Eastern US. Piston Plate with Comp 16 bindings helped too.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My limited time on my new SX 170 with piston-plate and XCell 16 has been a learning experience for me. I will readily admit my skills are not up to what his ski can deliver in the hands of a more competent driver. It certainly lets me know when I am "off". Yet as I work on my technique, I go will through spurts where I am "on" and it is such a rewarding ride. Even with poor technique, the locked in feel of how the SX is connected to snow is impressive, even to this amateur. Because of its evident feedback, I believe it will make me a better skier as I work on better positions and technique.

My SX combo with the piston plate and XCell 16 is quite heavy in hand, yet does not feel heavy underfoot. And if I have to dodge around / over a series of bumps or do a quick evasive move, it is easy enough to throw around still. I briefly owned the previous-gen of the SX ( highly used ) with a PRD on it, and before that I rented the previous-gen SX with the factory binding ( SP12 ? ) . I don't recall any of those 2 being the precision tool that my plated combo is. Not sure if it is the latest changes to the current SX, or the plated binding, or a bit of both. I know @LindseyB has done lots of binding testing lately and has posted his insights into Stockli's binding offerings.

Funny enough, I bought this ski for our usually very firm or icy early morning groomers, which I have yet to experience this season at my home hill. And also for the anticipated Tremblant ice when I visit there at the end of Feb. I probably should have bought an SC, which I have rented a couple times too, but was drawn to the SX for its fun factor. And I like the colour green !

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
2020 Stockli Laser AR review is here. I'll be getting on the 2020 Laser SC somewhere along the way in the next few days... Le Ski Mastery in Taos is a fantastic shop that carries much of the Stockli line and provides full day demos.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ that is high praise in your review of the AR. Looking forward to your thoughts on the SC.

Dave

dmas
Skier
Thx for the write up Noodler. I'd also be very interested in your comparison to the SC which has been my DD for the last three years. I love everything about it but wish it was just a bit wider. I'm normally not on really consistent snow and prefer a ski with a bit more than 72 under foot in variable conditions. I own the Tartan SR95 and have been on a couple of iterations of the AX. I much prefer the SC over the AX. Everything I've read about the AR has piqued my interest but I haven't been able to try a pair. Your review just increased my stoke regarding this ski by quite a bit and I'm really curious how it might compare to the SC.

(Edit: Initially posted this in the product review thread but probably belongs here)

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
@LindseyB Please could you tell me more about race plates and the difference between the GS and SC models with and without race plates. What are the pro's and cons?

Both of the models I tested came with the SRT12 bindings and a binding plate that looked like the SRT Speed plate.

Does it make a big difference to the performance? Would the GS be less hard work to ski without it and perform more like the SC with a plate? Perhaps something would be lost though? Do plates add rebound and energy or make it harder to achieve? I guess in general they make it harder to turn as it takes more work to pressure them but when you to the rebound increases.

Also when it comes to drilling I guess you need to drill extra holes for the plates which can't be undone easily. If I was to buy without a plate and then later add a plate if I wanted one there would be holes where the bindings were drilled. Is it you either choose the race plate or no plate and you're stuck with that decision or can the drilled binding holes also be used when the plate is added?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The plate makes it easier to turn in my opinion. The added height off the snow makes for more edge angle with less leg tipping. The higher edge angle the more you turn (assuming a carved turn.)

After skiing my SC's with Attack 13 bindings for 3 years then putting Piston plates and Comp 16 bindings on them and I feel like I wasted 3 years of my life. The ski is so much better with the race plate, and nothing was lost. I can still smear or skid, or pivot the skis (just keep them flat) but when I edge them they respond!

RikM

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@LindseyB I just saw SkiEssentials video from Outdoor Retailer which had the 2021 lineup in it. Are there any major changes to the SX (and AX), or did they just get new topsheets. I picked up AR's this season and love them, looking to complete the quiver with something narrow as well and the SX is definitely a contender. I'll be in Davos next week with plenty of places to demo the entire Stöckli lineup, which ones would you suggest i'll demo?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@LindseyB - I also just watched the SkiEssentials vid. What can you tell us about the Nela 96? Construction? Flex pattern? Sizes? Radius?

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 8.07.44 AM.png

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

Women power is here. Designed as an all mountain and free-ride ski with a super light Balsa-Albasia core, the NELA range follows in the footsteps of the Laser MX as being designed exclusively for women.

The Laser MX will feature a new tip shape and side cut, giving it a wider waist and narrower tail in 2020. Lengths include 146, 152, 158 & 164.

The Stormrider 88's will also see a different side cut giving it more shape, guaranteeing it to be one of the most manoeuvrable and playful all mountain skis available.

One of the most talked about skis in 2019, the Laser AX returns in 2020, but lighter and fitter weighing in at 60 grams less.

Nela 88.jpg

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I rented a pair of AX's earlier this week, and they were dreadful. I own a pair, which I love, so I knew what to expect, but the edge finish was garbage. I took them back to the shop and mentioned that they were way off. Not sure the message got through. I got that "take a lesson, pal" kind of look. Anyway, they didn't have another pair of AX's left to try, so I grabbed a pair of this years Laser GS skis as replacement. They could have been brand new. They were unbelievably good. I was amazed at how easy skiing they were. Very user friendly, incredible edge grip, but easy to engage and easy to release. Stable and predictable and super smooth on chopped up pistes. I don't see them getting much mention here, but they are well worth a try. You're missing out if you are looking for a great piste ski that has no top end but won't take you for a ride.

Reactions: NE1

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah heard the same thing about the non FIS GS.
Im scared of the top end of the AX, not a fan of high speed and heard you best not be scared of speed with them GS’s.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah heard the same thing about the non FIS GS.
Im scared of the top end of the AX, not a fan of high speed and heard you best not be scared of speed with them GS’s.
Did you put AX instead of GS?
Nothing to be scared of with the AX. It’s not a torsionally stiff monster at all.
Fwiw, a Laser GS is not an FIS ski unless it has that in the name. Like Rossi calls everything carving oriented and race “Hero”, Stockli calls that type ski “Laser”.

Sponsor

Staff online