• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
Your assessment of the Stockli line up is accurate.

I would choose between the 175 GS and the SC considering 2 variables.

If the force of the GS is the most exciting factor and you are committed to strengthening your cardio so you don't have to rest, then maybe it is the ski for you would love most.

If you want a fun ski regardless of the conditions, turn shape, and days on mountain then I would go with the SC. You can rally it the first day of the year to the last. You don't have to be in your best ski shape to enjoy the ski top to bottom. It will give you many turn shape options. Just make sure you have the higher performance binding option if you purchase the SC.

But maybe the power of the GS is too tempting???

Thanks for your advice Lindsey. I tested the 180cm GS - What differences can I expect to feel downsizing to the 175cm? Will I have to give up anything much? The 175 is probably a bit more in my comfort zone coming from the 177cm G9. I think the power might be too tempting. It put a massive grin on my face.

What are the higher performance binding options for the SC - should I go for some kind of race plate if I go with that option? I'm not really clear about the various options I could choose. I think they generally come with Salomon X12 bindings. What would a binding upgrade do to the SC?

What are the different edge tunings out of the factory with the AR, SL, SX and SC?

Thanks, Pete

For the guy who asked i'm about 180cm and 90kg and a relatively new ski instructor in my 2nd season. My bindings are generally set to 8.5.

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
This was the binding setup on the GS I tried. SRT speed - is there a race plate on there? SRT speed D20 plate?

Interestingly I tried the SL yesterday and found it a very easy ski and not tiring even though it uses the same VRT construction. Perhaps that was due to the length. I was very impressed how stable it was for quite a short ski. Too small a radius for me though. I also think the rental shop had given it a bad tune whereas the GS ones I tried were brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_201518.jpg
    IMG_20200112_201518.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20200118-090432.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-090432.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am thinking about the AR in 175 and am not sure of what binging to use , My dealer is a Marker only guy. I am looking for to use as an eastern every day driver that will be used on ungroomed as well as some softer groomers ( I have other ski's for other conditions ) I am 65 years old 168 lbs 5'10" former expert still fairly aggressive. So which model Marker binding???

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
Using a DIN calculator, your binding setting (depending on boot BSL) would probably be between 5.5 and 7. Since the AR is a high end ski, you should be in a high end binding, which would be the Marker Griffon 13 ID, with a range between 4-13. Equivalent bindings from other manufacturers would be Salomon STH2 13, Look Pivot 12, and Tyrolia Attack 13.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I am thinking about the AR in 175 and am not sure of what binging to use , My dealer is a Marker only guy. I am looking for to use as an eastern every day driver that will be used on ungroomed as well as some softer groomers ( I have other ski's for other conditions ) I am 65 years old 168 lbs 5'10" former expert still fairly aggressive. So which model Marker binding???

Your dealer has an option of getting you a flat ski or the AR with the Stockli spec'd Salomon DXM. If I had a choice I'd get the Salomon binding. Or I'd order them from @SkiEssentials with the Salomon binding. I have several sets of Griffon's but I'm starting to move to Salomon Wardens (same design as DXM). If you must get a Marker, get one with the xcell series.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@LindseyB
I noticed my new Laser SX have noticeable, but lightly, serrated side edges -> I have read that serrated edges can increase bite. Is this normal out of the factory or just an anomaly ?

Having returned from Killington and seeing that my SX suffered a bit of abuse from some thin snow on the past Monday, I was giving my skis a once-over with my set of Moonflex Diamond stones ( 100, 200, 400, 600 ,1500 ). I started with my 1* Beast base-bevel guide, and immediately heard a zzzzipping sound as the guide slid across the surface. After further experimentation, I determined the sound was due the lightly serrated side edges. I proceeded to do my bases as normal with all my stones, then went onto the side edges. Even with many laps of my 100 stone, I could not get all the serrated markings gone. I completed the side edges with my set of stones, ran a gummi to knock down any burrs, and then gave them a wax. Just curious ...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@LindseyB
I noticed my new Laser SX have noticeable, but lightly, serrated side edges -> I have read that serrated edges can increase bite. Is this normal out of the factory or just an anomaly ?

Having returned from Killington and seeing that my SX suffered a bit of abuse from some thin snow on the past Monday, I was giving my skis a once-over with my set of Moonflex Diamond stones ( 100, 200, 400, 600 ,1500 ). I started with my 1* Beast base-bevel guide, and immediately heard a zzzzipping sound as the guide slid across the surface. After further experimentation, I determined the sound was due the lightly serrated side edges. I proceeded to do my bases as normal with all my stones, then went onto the side edges. Even with many laps of my 100 stone, I could not get all the serrated markings gone. I completed the side edges with my set of stones, ran a gummi to knock down any burrs, and then gave them a wax. Just curious ...

You and this guy should get together ...

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My bases have that nice Stockli structure with the margin :thumb:

I just never had a new ski with such "loud" edges while running my diamond stones over them. And having recalled reading something in the Razor-Tune thread.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Marker X-Cell 16 GW -- $269

A binding that goes to 16 for $269…are you out of your mind? The X-cell 16 is the best value in the 16 DIN range on the market, beating the closest competitors apples to apples by at least $30. The limitation of the binding is its brake options, in that you cannot get a brake wider than 90mm. So, if you need a high-level binding with a high spring range for a narrow to medium-width ski for not a lot of money, the X-cell 16 is your best bet.
  • Pluses: Quick return to center, no adjustment needed to switch to GW, lowest-priced 16 DIN binding
  • Minuses: No brake options over 90mm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My bases have that nice Stockli structure with the margin :thumb:

I just never had a new ski with such "loud" edges while running my diamond stones over them. And having recalled reading something in the Razor-Tune thread.

Sorry, it was late and just couldn't resisted.

I remember prepping Mamie's new SR 95. The factory side edges looked more like machined rather than grind. The cutting marks were more scallop like from a cutter head rather than striations from a grinder. Took a good look and just left it alone.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ "scalloped" might be the better word for what I see , instead of "serrated" , not a big deal, just curious

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@LindseyB

The serrated edge is normal from the factory. In theory they bite better. I've never seen it proven with a test, but I like how the factory edge skis.

I do not know if you did or didn't, but if you have not been using a spray bottle and rag to wetten and then wipe the edges clean when using the Moonflex, I would highly suggest it. I wipe the stone as well. When hit dry it does almost nothing to burrs, when I hit them wet it does a nice polish to those edges. I've never noticed if I happened to smooth out the serrated finish with a diamond stone or not.

James

Out There
Instructor
What machine is making these edges? Isn't it a Montana Saphir with ceramic discs?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Marker X-Cell 16 GW -- $269

A binding that goes to 16 for $269…are you out of your mind? The X-cell 16 is the best value in the 16 DIN range on the market, beating the closest competitors apples to apples by at least $30. The limitation of the binding is its brake options, in that you cannot get a brake wider than 90mm. So, if you need a high-level binding with a high spring range for a narrow to medium-width ski for not a lot of money, the X-cell 16 is your best bet.
  • Pluses: Quick return to center, no adjustment needed to switch to GW, lowest-priced 16 DIN binding
  • Minuses: No brake options over 90mm
Phil , My Din is 8 and I have to sign off for that ,is there a big difference to go with the X-Cell 12 which puts me in the middle of the range 4-12

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really want to get on a pair to see how it compares to the AX. The shorter turning radius I think would fit into my style of skiing better. Congrats to you.

James

Out There
Instructor
Really want to get on a pair to see how it compares to the AX. The shorter turning radius I think would fit into my style of skiing better. Congrats to you.
You mean longer radius?
175cm AX-15.9; AR-16.5

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
You mean longer radius?
175cm AX-15.9; AR-16.5

I'm curious about this too. I skied the AX and the AR back to back and when I skied back to the demo hut I told the rep the AR seemed like it had a natural turn radius that was tighter than the AX. At the time I didn't know the turn radius of either. Either will turn any turn but the AR sweet spot was a tighter turn.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
What machine is making these edges? Isn't it a Montana Saphir with ceramic discs?
About 3 years ago Stöckli installed 2 custom built Montana Saphir grinding ‘robots’. The side edges are ground using cup grinding wheels, notice how they are angled to the side edge so that they only grind upwards. This prevents the formation of a hanging burr.

The striations on the side edge improve edge grip and durability. Edges ground in this manner stay sharp for longer, racers can ski more gates than with filed edges. It doesn’t make sense to remove them.

A serrated ski edge is somewhat different.

Serrated-Ski-Edge.jpg

It was patented by a French guy in the late 1990s https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Vincent+E.+Alvarez but doesn’t seem to have caught on.

Sponsor