• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I`m sure Mike would steer you right if you were making questionable choices.

I discussed it with him and he knew the factory tune was a 1.0 /1.0, which Lindsey said was what they used before the new(ish) 1.3 / 2. Mike agreed I will like the ski tuned to 0.5/3.0 better. In fairness to Stockli, .5/3.0 is more of an expert / racer level tune. It may be a little "precise" for skiers of all abilities. But since its my nickel, I can get what I like.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Thanks Lindsey! I will get the AR then. For a lightweight Powder Ski, is the SR88 the lighest? Or are you suggesting that I look into a different brand like a Head Kore 93 or Liberty V92.

Thanks!!!
While I would love to say the SR 88, It definitely would not be the right ski. Since it appears you are in Tahoe I would look for something that can handle Sierra cement while still being an easy ski. In this case I would go wider. I looked back at your first post and checked you height and weight and skill level.

After reading into where you are in your progression. I would get AR in 168 and maybe at most the 175. To complement this on piste ski that will help you advance in your carving and manage weird snow, I would suggest a true off piste powder ski so that you can excel in your backside prowess. The Edge 100 in the most accessible powder ski we sell, but it may still have more edge that would suit you. I think you could benefit from a very light powder ski that is super easy to pivot and has the ability to smooth out the weird variations that tracked out "Sierra cement" can leave in your path. If you can drop the coin there is only one ski that fits this prescription and that would be the Renoun Citadel 106 in the 178cm size for you. Of all the brands I have skied in the past few years it was the only ski I felt is bringing something special to the table other than Stockli. I think this would be a really good option for advancing your abilities on more aggressive terrain off piste. It will be very easy and light but you will be able to grow with it and have a good balance of not getting bossed around by funky snow and not getting pushed around by the ski either. After you perfect your carving with the AR and start to carry that prowess off piste in the years to come, then would the time come that I suggest a SR 105 for off piste powder, but until then the Citadel will be the best option for your advancement as you hone your skiing off piste.

A two ski quiver at very different widths should serve you well.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you can drop the coin there is only one ski that fits this prescription and that would be the Renoun Citadel 106 in the 178cm size for you. Of all the brands I have skied in the past few years it was the only ski I felt is bringing something special to the table other than Stockli.

Quoting this..juuust incase someone read past it. @LindseyB is a class act and @Cyrus Schenck is building a damn fine ski.

erickucla

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
While I would love to say the SR 88, It definitely would not be the right ski. Since it appears you are in Tahoe I would look for something that can handle Sierra cement while still being an easy ski. In this case I would go wider. I looked back at your first post and checked you height and weight and skill level.

After reading into where you are in your progression. I would get AR in 168 and maybe at most the 175. To complement this on piste ski that will help you advance in your carving and manage weird snow, I would suggest a true off piste powder ski so that you can excel in your backside prowess. The Edge 100 in the most accessible powder ski we sell, but it may still have more edge that would suit you. I think you could benefit from a very light powder ski that is super easy to pivot and has the ability to smooth out the weird variations that tracked out "Sierra cement" can leave in your path. If you can drop the coin there is only one ski that fits this prescription and that would be the Renoun Citadel 106 in the 178cm size for you. Of all the brands I have skied in the past few years it was the only ski I felt is bringing something special to the table other than Stockli. I think this would be a really good option for advancing your abilities on more aggressive terrain off piste. It will be very easy and light but you will be able to grow with it and have a good balance of not getting bossed around by funky snow and not getting pushed around by the ski either. After you perfect your carving with the AR and start to carry that prowess off piste in the years to come, then would the time come that I suggest a SR 105 for off piste powder, but until then the Citadel will be the best option for your advancement as you hone your skiing off piste.

A two ski quiver at very different widths should serve you well.
Wow thanks!!! I was not aware of Renoun until you mentioned it. I love the design and it is indeed very intriguing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow thanks!!! I was not aware of Renoun until you mentioned it. I love the design and it is indeed very intriguing.
You must be new to these parts...we have been talking about Renoun here for years.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Specific skis to the side for the moment, definitely something in the 80-88 range. Dropping down into the 70s from a 98 might end up being too big of a jump straight away.

erickucla

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You must be new to these parts...we have been talking about Renoun here for years.
Yes I’m catching up. I grew up skiing Tahoe(skied a Ross dv9??) then took a 25 year break as I lived elsewhere .....until I moved back into the area last year. So far my knowledge is limited to what’s in sports basement, which is a big box store

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I’m catching up. I grew up skiing Tahoe(skied a Ross dv9??) then took a 25 year break as I lived elsewhere .....until I moved back into the area last year. So far my knowledge is limited to what’s in sports basement, which is a big box store

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new skis, whichever one you choose.

vilu

Booting up
Skier
https://www.pugski.com/members/4058/Hi Lindsay
I ordered the new Laser SL with SRT binding and standard plate. According Stöckli the Carbon plate is not only lighter but also a bit stiffer. I don’t care about the weight. But do you think the extra performance is worth the price difference?
Thanks Phil

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
https://www.pugski.com/members/4058/Hi Lindsay
I ordered the new Laser SL with SRT binding and standard plate. According Stöckli the Carbon plate is not only lighter but also a bit stiffer. I don’t care about the weight. But do you think the extra performance is worth the price difference?
Thanks Phil

What length did you get? FIS or non FIS? How heavy are you?

vilu

Booting up
Skier
What length did you get? FIS or non FIS? How heavy are you?
Hi Lindsay
non FIS in 165. I’m 6ft and 168lb. Until last season I had the previous model from 15/16 and could already test the new with rental bindings. The rep didn‘t expect huge difference between both plates. But at that time they haven’t been available and Stöckli mentions a difference in the new catalogue.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hi Lindsay
non FIS in 165. I’m 6ft and 168lb. Until last season I had the previous model from 15/16 and could already test the new with rental bindings. The rep didn‘t expect huge difference between both plates. But at that time they haven’t been available and Stöckli mentions a difference in the new catalogue.

OK, You could honestly go either way. You'll save 220 grams (roughly a half pound) for the pair with the carbon plate. If you were already FIS I would say, nah. Being non-FIS, I would step up if the following criteria were met: The extra greenbacks didn't hurt your budget, and you wanted a more aggressive SL than your previous set up. The stronger plate will bite just a bit more.
At your height, a little more power to combat the leverage you will have over the tip might be handy from time to time. Hope this helps without adding too much confusion.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@LindseyB - Not sure how much input you have on r&d - but would love to see a ski for women wider than an 85. Given I'm 5'1", about 117-ish, I can't really check out the men's line, and I absolutely love my AXs. They are perfect for the hard snow - and even some of the Sierra cement we get in Tahoe.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Been reading everyone’s great input on here and had to join.

I need some help – especially from LindseyB!

I am lucky in that I am moving to the Park City area for work so I am trying to figure out the ultimate 2 ski quiver for this area.

Set #1 to collect as many NASTAR pins as possible and rip around the front side at Mach 3. If I am lazy and do not want to swap skis will likely use this set to explore other areas of the mountain as well. Set #2 for back bowls and powder days. I am 190lbs 5’ 11”. Used to race GS when I was younger. Still fairly fit at 47 years young.

Here is the list I have been working on but having trouble narrowing it down:

SET #1:

Head WC Rebels i.Speed Pro 68

Dynastar Speed Master GS R22 70

Stockli GS 68 (incl Speed D20 plate)

Blizzard Firebird HRC 76 *(best for NASTAR?)

Stockli AX 78 * (+1.5-2.0mm)

Stockli AR 83

Fisher RC One 86 GT

SET #2

Volkl Mantra 102

Stockli Stormrider 105

Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition

Kastle FX 106 HP

Any feedback to help narrow down above would be greatly appreciated.

What would be best combo? Thanks.

vilu

Booting up
Skier
OK, You could honestly go either way. You'll save 220 grams (roughly a half pound) for the pair with the carbon plate. If you were already FIS I would say, nah. Being non-FIS, I would step up if the following criteria were met: The extra greenbacks didn't hurt your budget, and you wanted a more aggressive SL than your previous set up. The stronger plate will bite just a bit more.
At your height, a little more power to combat the leverage you will have over the tip might be handy from time to time. Hope this helps without adding too much confusion.
Hi Lindsay
Thanks for your advice. I‘m sure I could handle both options. And both will be an upgrade to my current setup. I‘m tending to the standard version as I expect it being a little bit more playful while Carbon provides more grip but might be more demanding.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@LindseyB - Not sure how much input you have on r&d - but would love to see a ski for women wider than an 85. Given I'm 5'1", about 117-ish, I can't really check out the men's line, and I absolutely love my AXs. They are perfect for the hard snow - and even some of the Sierra cement we get in Tahoe.

Stayed tuned....wink wink

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Narrowed it down some more:
SET #1:
Dynastar Speed Master GS R22
Stockli GS
Blizzard Firebird HRC
Stockli AX

SET #2
Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition