• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Salomon X Pro 130

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
78C89249-11EB-4A0D-82AB-240092E4A7FF.jpeg
DD11E728-51D0-4E5A-BABA-2F22F7E0C553.jpeg
3B944690-874F-4AE4-83E6-0F18BBA51219.jpeg
F9565118-C96C-4C63-91AD-E03D7174F5F6.jpeg

New boot for me driving directional skis sub ~100mm & racers: Salomon X Pro 130

Now this is a 100mm boot with a stout 130 flex.

Some cool features include a flex booster adjustment, custom fit liner & replacement sole blocks. Interesting/ key is that where other boots replace the lifters, Salomon chooses to replace the entire toe/heel compartment. This may be important to you if you swap skis/bindings on a regular basis or walk a bunch. I went ahead & got a spare set of toes & heels as I frequently trash mine hiking, demoing & generally chasing the kids.

I’m told, @Guy in Shorts has been in this boot for years- I take that as a solid recommendation.

One of the limitations of this model is that it does not currently have a GripWalk option & I have been unsuccessful locating touring pads from a couple years ago when they were based on WTR technology. They exist but I can’t seem to find them in the States.

*this product was supplied to the ExoticSkis test crew by Salomon. Most of the testers are in the 98mm X Max, like @Eric Edelstein, yet I’ve got wider feet & was able to go down to a 24 shell in these.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you heat mold the shell?

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
My question also.... are they custom shell or a new variation of that technology?

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
My question also.... are they custom shell or a new variation of that technology?

They are custom shell. My understanding is that this model has been around for a while, yet is now utilizing Salomon’s proprietary version of 360 Custom Shell (bi-material polyurethane) material. Perhaps @Philpug can confirm/comment. I’m quite excited as I favor the PU boots over Grilamid.

Did you heat mold the shell?

No, based on the offerings of a variety of lasts, I was able to get pretty close to my foot shape & being that I was able to get into a 24, there is pretty uniform distances around the entirety of the foot. A boot fitter pal had that crazy eye look & said “let’s go for the X Max.....”. I resisted as want a performance ride, but one that lasts all day.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
9F222A04-AA62-4AC0-AF8A-86D993CE5197.jpeg

Here’s the older AT sole blocks I’ve been looking for. They’re WTR, so likely @Philpug would say the small gain in walkability is lower & the incompatibility is higher. My hopes are that Salomon produces GripWalk variants soon, however I have some DIN only raceservice bindings on super fun boards.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
95EB810A-369F-417D-8810-6D0B1712B331.jpeg

Ready to ski with an Expert Booster strap in place.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Brian, I bought the wider version 130 as my foot last is 106mm. I did heat mold mine and it was pretty easy. My concern is that I am replacing Atomic Live Fit 130 boots and the forward flex on these new ones seems to be much less. I weigh #250. I have not skied them yet. Our areas do not have enough snow to be open yet.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
View attachment 60009
Anyway, @Brian Finch is on the X-Pro 130 this year and he's a guy at home in 140/150 flex Plug Boots, check out his thread - https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-salomon-x-pro-130.12540/

Thanks for the “plug”.........

I had a rather surprising 2 days in the X-Pro 130

Day 1: Wifey says “let’s train Slalom...” OKAY this is the reason I got this boot. My wife races- a lot & there are always race (DIN) skis to be skied & then there’s my kids to help coach & chaperone. I wanted a DIN boot I could ski in all day & drive race skis. I skied em “out of the box” & they were only sore on one spot on the right heel.

They were capable, but not a plug. This proved wicked fun as I was able to carve & slarve a typically hooky 165 SL ski. Laps on the WC Superstar Trail were fun like Tokyo Drift style skiing.

Liners needed to be baked!

Day 2: Gnar / rain / snow & let’s see if we can handle a 200cm Praxis: no problem! Ripping slarves or pivot turns was no issue. Blasting thru crud, yep fine. I placed a very used Intuition Pro Wrap in the boot & it was PERFECT!

Impressions:

Baked would be good.

The upper cuff is really springy & each time I felt it was snug, the next run it felt more broke in.

It’s able to be stood on or slid.

It’s NOT HOOKY, this is a real first in a boot for me. A combo of drive / forgiveness.

It’s not a 130 flex, but that’s alright.

Soles are grippy.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Brian, I bought the wider version 130 as my foot last is 106mm. I did heat mold mine and it was pretty easy. My concern is that I am replacing Atomic Live Fit 130 boots and the forward flex on these new ones seems to be much less. I weigh #250. I have not skied them yet. Our areas do not have enough snow to be open yet.

I found that the boot was softer, but it was due to a very springy upper cuff that needed to be skied, rebuckled, skied, rebuckled until if “broke in?” & became more shaped over 2 days. It’s certainly a more “modern centered” boot, but this is a good thing. Good luck & report back!

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found that the boot was softer, but it was due to a very springy upper cuff that needed to be skied, rebuckled, skied, rebuckled until if “broke in?” & became more shaped over 2 days. It’s certainly a more “modern centered” boot, but this is a good thing. Good luck & report back!
Will do.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Brian,
I skied my Atomic Live Fit 130 three times and then skied the Salomon XPro 130. It is so nice to be able to get them on and off with ease. I did bake them as per instructions on google. They are very light compared to the Atomics. I really enjoyed them. I feel that they ski just as well maybe better than the Atomics but are much easier to get on and off. I did not have to mess with them after I put them on. I re-buckled after lunch and skied them in the afternoon. I was on hard pack and did mainly blue runs as my knees have not been too happy lately. I am very pleased that the reviews I read including yours and Philpugs were spot on for me and my skiing style. I am very glad that I bought them and suggest that any skier with wide and or high arch feet looking for a performance boot should look at these. I did not need a demo because the reviews were so good. A-plus boot for me.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hi All,

Is this the new 2020 Xpro or the original version in a new color? Actually upon closer look this is just the orginial Xpro 130 in a new color :) I have been skiing the Xpro130 for about 5 years. The key to this boot is customizing the fit, which I did over the course of multiple sessions with my boot fitter and beers. Baking the shell and liner are key. I also went for some Sidas custom insoles and changed the position of the buckles to get better heel retention. Once dialed in it is an amazing boot. My understanding is that the 2020 version is a complete refresh with the newer lighter plastics. If you are needing to ski and re-buckle the boot you may want to have it re-fit as the whole custom fitting process breaks in the boot and eliminates that. To be clear not a racing boot, but the most comfortable high performance boot I have owned. Would love to go with the Xmax but my Sasquatch feet prevent that every time ;-)

I am looking forward to trying out the new model as it comes in two volume sizes so you can customize for a snugger fit. I also hear the new version is going to ultra light which would be a plus. @Philpug any plans to demo/review the new xpro 130 in the near future? I know Salomon is actively taking this to buyer demo days across the country

dovski

Skier
View attachment 58786
Here’s the older AT sole blocks I’ve been looking for. They’re WTR, so likely @Philpug would say the small gain in walkability is lower & the incompatibility is higher. My hopes are that Salomon produces GripWalk variants soon, however I have some DIN only raceservice bindings on super fun boards.
FYI you can still buy these on ebay and from some European sites. You should also ping Salomon as they may be able to order them for you. I just changed out the heel and toe piece on my xpro 130s. It takes a couple minutes and is pretty easy to do.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
\ @Philpug any plans to demo/review the new xpro 130 in the near future? I know Salomon is actively taking this to buyer demo days across the country
Infortunately I have no plans of trying out the Pro (100mm version) since I am in the 98mm. I will say the new plastics are a dream to work on verses the older design bilt a better sole to cant.

dovski

Skier
Infortunately I have no plans of trying out the Pro (100mm version) since I am in the 98mm. I will say the new plastics are a dream to work on verses the older design bilt a better sole to cant.
You know I hear that lots of beer + wine plus sauna causes feet to swell at least 2-3 mm, so testing is not impossible, just impractical ;)

If you need a large footed man to test the new boot I am happy to volunteer

Muggydude

Booting up
Skier
Asked this in the X-Max thread too, but anyone know:

-Did the liner changed much over the 2015-2019 mode year on the X-Pro 130?

-Are any differences between the 2018 and 2019 X-Pro?

-Anyone have any beta on how the 2020 X-Pro compares to the 2015-2019 X-Pro?

dovski

Skier
Asked this in the X-Max thread too, but anyone know:

-Did the liner changed much over the 2015-2019 mode year on the X-Pro 130?

-Are any differences between the 2018 and 2019 X-Pro?

-Anyone have any beta on how the 2020 X-Pro compares to the 2015-2019 X-Pro?
I spoke to a friend of mine who went to the demo days at Mission Ridge last week. He said the 2020 Xpro is a brand new boot, so new shell, new liner and likely a new fit. Sounds like it will be ultra light too. He did not ski them as he does not have big feet. Very curious to learn more about this boot as I am about ready to replace my X-pro 130s

Sponsor

Staff online