• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rossignol_Line_RED.png

HERO_ELITE_ST SPX_12_Rockerflex_.png
Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti
Dimensions: 122-68-104
Radius: 14m@167cm
Sizes: 157, 162, 167, 172
Size tested: 172
Design: New Construction

19 HERO_ELITE_LT_TI_Konect.png
Rossignol Hero Elite LT Ti
Dimensions: 119-71-101
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 167, 172, 177, 182
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

Philpug: Well yes, Rossignol made it pretty simple to understand: ST = short turn, LT = long turn. These two skis with their all-new construction featuring Line Control Technology (LCT), a vertical center power rail sandwiched by absorbers in order to reduce torsional flex, grip the snow with a subtle silence that was a refreshing change to having to hold the ski on the snow.
  • Who is it for? You know.
  • Who is it not for? You know that, too.
  • Insider tip: These are a great combo as a Nastar set or just as the hard-snow part of your quiver.

19 Hero Multi TC.png
Rossignol Hero Elite MT Ti
Dimensions: 123-74-109
Radius: 14m@167cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175, 183
Size tested: 167
Design: All New

Philpug: With the new Multi, Rossi is attacking the wide carver market. After a few turns I had to look down to make sure I was on the right ski because the Multi was much quicker than I would have expected from a 78mm ski; even in the 167, there was no loss in stability.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want a wide technical ski for all conditions.
  • Who is it not for: Skiers who want quickness; you do give up a bit with the width.
  • Insider tip: Try to find the limit, double dog dare ya.

Doug Briggs: The Hero Elite MT Ti reminds me a lot of my Rossi Experience 83. It is easy to ski, but if you want to kick in the afterburner, it will fly right along with stability and easy-to-control turn shape.
  • Who is it for? Like the Supershape iTitan, it suits anyone who likes to make race-like turns as well as kick back and take it easy.
  • Who is it not for? Lightweights; this ski expects some input.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid; it is as docile as my Experience 83.

19 Hero Elite Plus TC.png
Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti
Dimensions: 130-78-110
Radius: 13m@167cm
Sizes: 160, 167, 174, 181
Size tested: 167

FairToMiddlin:
Congratulations to Rossignol for the willingness to make a ski nobody else is trying to make. Sure, this spirit doesn’t always pan out, but it is also the beginning of every Next Best Thing. And it really is aiming in a different direction: yes, you can scour other ski makers' catalogs and find some skis that are 167 cm, 78mm underfoot, with a 13m sidecut. But the others, all of them (near as I can tell, anyway), happen by accident, a byproduct of sizing down from the reference length. The 167 is Rossignol’s reference length, whatever comes after will be tweaks to the original, not the other way around. The rep I spoke to said it’s a ski for aging racers and instructors, who want the shape of a high-performing SL without the bite of one, just a fraction of a Mississippi more leisurely from edge to edge.

It’s an apt description: rather than the usual frenetic wired-straight-to-your-brain-stem response of an SL, there’s half a heartbeat between the synapses, and then that familiar turn in shows up, followed by whoomp! as the ski loads up in the belly of the turn. The construction feels strong, and with good materials inside; motor through chopped-up groomers bases flat or on edge, and the Elite feels composed, not too short or too squirrely (compared to my SL skis, straightlining is much less disconcerting). Rossi retailers may have to explain this one a bit, and skiers might need an open-er mind to give them a try, but it’s well executed, and worth considering.
  • Who is it for? Short-radius lovers who don’t need a feverish SL response time.
  • Who is it not for? You still got to want to make turns, though.

19 EXPERIENCE_84AI.png
Rossignol Experience 84 AI
Dimensions: 126-84-116
Radius: 15m@176cm
Sizes: 152, 160, 168, 176, 184
Size tested: 176

Ron: Rossignol went back to the drawing board for its classic Experience line for 2019. These new Experiences are a whole lot different ... in a good way. The prior Experience was decidedly oriented to firm snow, and the shape and flex just didn't work for me in soft snow or off piste. Rossi says this new line is for all-mountain use; you just need one look to see how much this ski has changed. The Experience has a new construction, progressive sidecut, Air Tip, and a new tapered tail. Most noticeable is the tapered tip and increased rocker profile Yep, it's a totally new ski.

The 84 should be a big hit for Rossi. My notes say, "Fun ski!" The popular mid-80s width has lot of competition, but I think the Rossi 84 can stand on its own. This is another easy ski; with nice smooth engagement and a light feel underfoot, it is capable of any turn shape and drifts very well but also has good edge hold. Lots of pop and energy too! Rossi clearly brought some of technology has over from the Sky and Soul 7 skis. I felt the ski was more soft snow oriented than the Head 83 but still held an edge very well. Overall, I really liked this ski. If I were looking for a mid-80s ski with an emphasis on soft snow performance, I might put this one ahead of the Head 83.
  • Who is it for? Intermediate to advanced skiers looking for a versatile ski biased to soft snow.
  • Who is it not for? Might not be the ticket for hard chargers.
  • Insider tip: Demo this back to back with the Head 83.

Doug Briggs: I have an older pair of Experience 83s, and these are quite similar. They are stable, easy to turn, and grip well. You can easily get them to bend into a tighter turn shape, but they are most comfortable making GS-style turns.
  • Who is it for? Laid-back skiers will love these.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers looking for an aggressive ski with lots of pop.
  • Insider tip: Short and long turns are in its bag of tricks.

FairToMiddlin:
I had no intention of testing this. For the last half decade or so, I have been underwhelmed by the Experience skis from Rossi; they didn’t have the excitement found in Head’s Revs and Monsters, or the balance and snow feel of Stöckli and (older) Kästles. @Drahtguy Kevin grabbed these while I was picking up the Hero Elites (I blame him for what happens next), leaving me with no choice but to try them at some point. He couldn’t even get them in a (longer) length that either of us wanted: it seemed as if it was going to be another ho-hum all-mountain-Rossi … experience.

I was wrong.

This time around, Rossi is making a "thoughtfully accessible" line of Experiences with legitimate skills. Shape: check. Tipping into the new turn is intuitive and immediate, and the sidecut brings you around toot sweet, but all of that is easy to modulate, nothing is scary or bite-y. Flex: check. This thing has good snow feel and doesn’t get ruffled in end-of-day chop; it wants to cling to the snow despite surface irregularities. The communication is there, not numb (or absent) like the Sollie Blast and QST, or the new Vantages from Atomic. The 84 is a good stick, and as a price-point model, it’s going to be a good value and tough competition for the equally good Nordica Navigator 85.
  • Who is it for? Intermediate/advanced folks who want to progress with their skills, and want a fun ski to do it with.
  • Who is it not for? If you want to rage on and off the trail, the 88 Ti might be more your speed.

19 EXP 88 TC.png
Rossignol Experience 88 Ti
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 16m@180cm
Sizes: 159, 166, 173, 180, 187
Size tested: 180

Philpug: See Long-Term Review.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for all-mountain performance. This is an 88 that is not limited to the groomers; it wants to explore.
  • Who is it not for? Lazy skiers. The new Experience wants some input from you; it is not a park-and-ride ski.
  • Insider tip: Unless you are looking to play with mount position or sharing skis and need flexibility in BSL adjustment, bypass the SPX Konect Dual binding and put on the all-new Look Pivot 14 AW Forza; the orange will pop and you will reduce some static and swing weight.

UGASkiDawg: I rode this ski back to back with the Fischer Pro MTN 86, and the Rossi a has more stable cruiser feel. It is not nearly as playful and lively but it is a bit more solid at high speeds. You might say it has a more serious personality than the Fischer.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for midfat biased toward a more traditional frontside feel but with the versatility to go everywhere.
  • Who is it not for? People looking for a lively and playful feel.
  • Insider tip: These skis have surprising edge hold and stability for a ski that feels on the lighter side.

19 EXP 94 TC.png

Rossignol Experience 94 Ti
Dimensions: 132-94-112
Radius: 19m@187cm
Sizes: 173, 180, 187
Size tested: 187

Drahtguy Kevin: Rossignol is serious with this new ski for 2019. A stiff tip powers easily through crud and chop with a solid feel. Surprisingly, the flex of the 94 makes it a delight in bumps; I wasn’t expecting that. The heft helps with the smooth groomer feel. Edge hold is superior as well. I’ve been waiting years for Rossi to build a ski like this.
  • Who is it for? Strong skiers will get the most out of the Experience 94 Ti.
  • Who is it not for? Lightweights. This is a heavy ski that needs some force.
  • Insider tip: Point ‘em and trust your line; these won't let you down.

FairToMiddlin: A year ago, I would have given you my best comedic, evil-villain laugh if you would tell me that Rossi is about to introduce an Experience that I would exchange my beloved Stormrider 95 for. The widest Experience never lacked power (E100, and certainly the OG E98 before it), but it had a bit of a frown, it wasn’t all that Fun. That would be OK if it were the smoothest stick in the 98ish category, but it wasn’t really that, either. I admired Rossignol's willingness to make what amounted to a very wide carver, but I never wanted to own one.

This new biggest E doesn’t feel like a wide carver anymore. It feels like an extension of my brain off piste, and yet it retains its carving heritage. Without feeling nervous or noodly, this ski is willing to change direction anywhere on the mountain. It felt eager to initiate on the groomed and downright playful in bumps mixed with crud -- not normally what the fatty Experience gets accused of. The stability is still there, but now it has an all-mountain performance envelope. It feels like what Atomic could have done with the replacement for the current Vantage 90 CTi, if its goal was to make a better ski, instead of a different ski.

One thing I didn’t understand is the stated turn radius between the 187 and 180. The 187 claims 19 m; the 180, 18.5; it almost seems like a typo, such a small difference seems too insignificant to give skiers much of a choice. Hopefully, I will be able to get on the 180 and see for myself.
  • Who is it for? Lots of people, with lots of different skill levels. Wanna feel like a hero off piste? Here you go.
  • Who is it not for? Hmmm, I'll have to get back to you on this.

19 Sky-7-HD-W.png
Rossignol Sky 7 HD
Dimensions: 128-97-118
Radius: 18m@180cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172, 180, 188
Design: Carryover

Drahtguy Kevin: (from last year) The 7 Series is moving in the right direction. The new Sky is beefed up and more stable. This model arcs better than previous years, but tip flap is still evident. It is quick underfoot for a 98mm ski, likely because the rocker makes the ski feel much shorter that the stated length. It is a softer ski with a top end that isn’t difficult to reach.
  • Who is it for? Lighter-weight and finesse skiers wanting ~100mm do-it-all planks.
  • Who is it not for? Burly chargers.
  • Insider tip: Order up, this guy rides short.

Philpug: (from last year)I could never figure out the old Sin/Sky 7, it just felt as composed as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, just too nervous. Although the dimensions are similar, the elongated Air Tip 2.0 combined with a more balanced flex makes this newest incarnation a whole new ski.
  • Who is it for? Just who it is intended for, an aspiring advanced skier.
  • Who is it not for? Still not for the charger.
  • Insider tip: No need to size up, yay!

19 Soul7-HD.png
Rossignol Soul 7 HD
Dimensions: 136-106-126
Radius: 18m@180cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172, 180, 188

Philpug: (from last year) It is no secret that the older 7 series was never my favorite bunch of skis. Not that they weren't fun and playful; they were just too noisy and turny for my liking. The previous generations were stiff in the center and floppy at the extremities, but Rossignol fixed all that: these new ones have a much more balanced flex. For all of you who quickly found the limitations of the older ski, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the new one. I know I was … even in the 180cm length!
  • Who is it for? Still biased to soft snow, but handles the firmer snow better.
  • Who is it not for? Still not for bigger, stronger skiers.
  • Insider tip: Forget what you didn’t like about the outgoing Soul; you might not need to size up.

UGASkiDawg: (from last year) I thought the old Soul 7 was downright scary at speed on anything but the softest groomers and would fold like a cheap suit at any kind of speed in crud or other tough snow conditions. It was a playful blast in untracked and really soft snow, though. I may need to get these new ones out for a longer test ride in the conditions they were designed for, as I took them down one of my favorite groomers in fairly firm conditions and was impressed at the edge hold and tracking for One Oh Something ski. (I’m not a One Oh skier on anything other than a powder ski so didn’t have the test conditions to give these a true shakeout.) The first-gen Soul 7s scared the bejeebus out of me on firm snow, but on these I was flying on the blue groomer with a look of pleasant surprise on my face.
  • Who is it for? If you liked the old playful Soul 7 but found it lacking in tougher snow conditions, this new ski will be right up your alley.
  • Who is it not for? People who like a more traditionally shaped ski; very powerful skiers.
  • Insider tip: This ski is surprisingly stable even without sizing up.

Women

19 Famous 10 TC.png
Rossignol Famous 10
Dimensions: 127-73-109
Radius: 12m@156cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163
Size tested: 163

Tricia: The Famous is not new to the Rossignol lineup, but this is the first time I have skied it. The turn shape and strength of this ski made me wonder if it's the lovechild of the Temptation series and a WC SL ski. This high-performance recreational carver sports a gorgeous top sheet that will make your friends wonder if you broke the bank to buy it. Then they'll wonder if you spent some extra money on lessons -- because you'll own every turn.
  • Who is it for? This is a great recreational frontside carving ski
  • Who is it not for? Someone seeking an off-piste sweetheart.
  • Insider tip: If you want more of an SL feel, go shorter.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 9.57.11 AM.png
Rossignol Experience 84 Ti W
Dimensions: 126-84-116
Radius: 12m@160cm
Sizes: 144, 152, 160, 168
Size tested: 152

SkiNurse: Rossignol takes it up a notch from the Sky 7 with the Experience 84, which is stiffer and likes to be driven. It is quick onto edge and loves to carve and did very well in the firmer groomed conditions, but it might not like softer, deeper snow due to the stiffness. This is a ski that I would like to get to know a little better.
  • Who is it for? The athletic female who likes to drive a ski.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who doesn’t like to get a ski up on edge.

Tricia: The Rossignol Experience 84 W has replaced the long-time favorite Temptation 84 with a new shape and construction intended for the same intermediate women looking for a frontside ski to take them to the next level. A bigger sweet spot results in an overall better Experience.
  • Who is it for? The intermediate skier looking to advance.
  • Who is it not for? The expert skier looking for a hard charger.
  • Insider tip: This ski comes flat as well as with a system binding.

19 EXP 88 W TC.png
Rossignol Experience 88 W
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166

Tricia: After several years of Temptation, the ladies are getting a whole new Experience from Rossignol. That's right, the Temptation name is a thing of the past along with the old shape and construction. The 2019 Rossignol Experience W is being introduced with a big change in sidecut, offering a bigger sweet spot and more versatility as a daily driver. I have had the pleasure of skiing on the Experience 88 W and Experience 84 W extensively in a variety of snow conditions. Where the old Temptation locked into a turn with crazy good edge hold, the new Experience W holds an edge without demanding a specific turn shape, and offers a playful experience in moguls and shopped up spring conditions. I must say, nearly everything I Experienced put a smile on my face.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a serious carver.
  • Insider tip: These skis come either flat or with system-mounted bindings.

19 Sky-7-HD-W.png
Rossignol Sky 7 HD W
Dimensions: 128-96-118
Radius: 16m@164cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172
Size tested: 156

SkiNurse: The Sky 7 is very light and easy to turn. It held an edge on the groomers and would be fun in intermediate steeps and trees; it probably even has enough float for a few inches of freshies.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an easy, light ski that is venturing toward more of an all-mountain experience.
  • Who is it not for? An aggressive skier. This ski does not like to be driven.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Two questions:

1. How do the new Hero Elites compare to the previous ones? Any major diferences in behaviour or feel? (Obviously, the MT and the ST TI Plus are new geomitries.)

2. What does 'AI' stand for in the Experience 84 AI?

PNTskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Phil pug: I read your reviews on the Sky 7 and Soul 7 models and you clearly don't recommend these for bigger guys... I demo'ed the Sky 7's last year at Whistler and had a lot of fun in the deeper/off piste stuff... Since I'm skiing out west mainly now, I'm in the market this year for a pair of all mountain skis that I can take into the deeper snow and maintain lift/float. I've done some research on Blizzard Rustler 10 and Vokyl Mantra as well but I'd like your opinion on what you believe would be a ski for me...
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 235
Ski level: Advanced/Expert in some areas
I've grew up skiing on the east coast and am sort of a speed demon on the groomers but my heart wants to improve in the glades and deeper off piste areas.

Would appreciate your assessment and thoughts!

Thank you,
PNTskier

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great reviews, thanks! I love Rossi skis, and can always find one that is just what I am looking for or "need". I had E98's and now have E100's for my powder and crud ski and am looking forward to testing the new E94.

I have a suggestion that would apply to all the new ski reviews. When reviewing a new ski that replaces or is an update of a previous model, it would help if it was explained how it is different than the outgoing model, and is it better or worse then the outgoing model, in the testers opinion. You know, a reason to buy the new one!

Also, no reviews of the Pursuit line? I have been on the Pursuit 700 for 2 years and it is the most versatile (and fun) ski I have ever been on. Seems most of the reviews skip that line and just talk about the Hero line. Is it thought that the people who read reviews are only expert or ex racers and they would only be interested in a WC or beer league race ski?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Two questions:

1. How do the new Hero Elites compare to the previous ones? Any major diferences in behaviour or feel? (Obviously, the MT and the ST TI Plus are new geomitries.)

2. What does 'AI' stand for in the Experience 84 AI?

Any answers to these questions? @Philpug or others?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any answers to these questions? @Philpug or others?
I have an e-mail into Rossi on the Ai. As far as the new Elites...I would say evolutionary, the vertical metal in the core creates a bit more power from being torsionally more rigid.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What does 'AI' stand for in the Experience 84 AI?
Per Rossignol...
"The Ai stand for ABS – so instead of the Titanal (Ti) LCT “power rail” of the 94 + 88 Ti, the 84 Ai uses ABS."

I hope that helps.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Thanks. ABS is pretty stiff and dampening too, so let's see how that works out on snow. And the 84 has no TI laminates, but a carbon mash I think it was.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great reviews, thanks! I love Rossi skis, and can always find one that is just what I am looking for or "need". I had E98's and now have E100's for my powder and crud ski and am looking forward to testing the new E94.

I have a suggestion that would apply to all the new ski reviews. When reviewing a new ski that replaces or is an update of a previous model, it would help if it was explained how it is different than the outgoing model, and is it better or worse then the outgoing model, in the testers opinion. You know, a reason to buy the new one!

Also, no reviews of the Pursuit line? I have been on the Pursuit 700 for 2 years and it is the most versatile (and fun) ski I have ever been on. Seems most of the reviews skip that line and just talk about the Hero line. Is it thought that the people who read reviews are only expert or ex racers and they would only be interested in a WC or beer league race ski?

Well, I purchased the E94 in Oct. and have 14 days in Steamboat and 8 at my local hill on them so far. I have to say I am EXTREMLEY happy with them!!! Rossi hit it out of the park with these. They are very easy to turn, any turn - any turn any place. Ski them whatever style you wish, they are right there with you. They rule on hard snow, soft snow, deep snow, cutup snow. Carve trenches, no problem. I can feel them crush and flatten hard snow, but the ski doesn't waver. They are so stable at very high speeds it's scary. A ski with this much performance shouldn't be so easy to ski, but it is. A friend of mine, a former HS race coach, who only has carving skis and has never been on a ski this wide demoed them in Steamboat. After the second run he said he was buying a pair, and he did.
If you have a chance to get on a pair, do it. I know they are "only" Rossignol's, and not one of the "premium" ski brands that most on this site talk about, but I have to believe they would give any ski a run for its money.

Pistol60

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm currently on the 2009 Rossi CX80 (124/80/113 and 180cm) and love to carve fast sweepers on the frontside. Which Hero Elite is going to ride most similarly to these?

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tricia and @SkiNurse I bought some used Sky HD W for my wife last year for East coast powder skis. She is 5'6", 120 lb, physically fit, advanced intermediate, finesse skier with 40+ years experience with a gap in the middle for early marriage (I didn't ski then) and kids. Being from the long skinny ski era, her daily drivers are Temptation 78's in the the high 160's. She loves them and does not like heavy or skis that are slow edge-to-edge. However, we see more fresh snow at Killington, so she agreed we needed powder skis. I thought the Sky's would be ideal, but suspect I purchased them too long for her at 164 as she is not happy with them. I could look for a lighter/narrower ski or just get her these in a shorter length. Thoughts?

Sponsor

Staff online