• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rossignol Experience 88 Ti
Dimensions: 127-88-117
Radius: 16m@180cm
Sizes: 159, 166, 173, 180, 187
Size tested: 180cm
Design: All New

Rossignol is offering the biggest change to the Experience collection since its introduction almost a decade ago. The Experience 88 has been the focal model of the collection, always bookended by a wider version and a few narrower models. Through the generations, we have seen a couple of small (but important) evolutions, most notably the addition of Air Tip to the construction and the softening and rounding of the tip profile. Even in this progression, the Experience 88 has been one of the most frontside-biased skis in the 88-90mm category. All of this will change for 2019, not only for the men’s skis but the women’s, too (formerly the Temptation and now called the Experience W).

Like the outgoing model, the new Experience 88 Ti stands out visually on the ski wall. First of all, the tip profile is much more gradual and elongated and dramatically different. The Air Tip, which was introduced in the outgoing model, carries over but with a much different integration. The tail still has some flare but is also more tapered at the extremity. The dimensions of the two skis are quite different, from 135-88-124 to a more modern 127-88-117, but the turn radius gets slightly smaller, going from 17m to 16m in the 180cm length -- Reason 237 that you shouldn’t get hung up on the numbers because of different contact points on the new ski.

Construction of the new Experiences is (mostly) all new, as well. The Air Tip carries over, but the Carbon Matrix has been eliminated. Rossignol is now offering Line Control Technology (LCT), which was taken from its race skis. What does that really mean and, more importantly, why should you care? Well, LCT is a vertical Titanal power rail that extends from tip to tail and is sandwiched with absorbers in order to eliminate counter-flexing, thus creating a solid feel on the snow. In working some mixed turn shapes and drifting or smearing turns, the new 88 Ti definitely created less vibration than the older model.

Initial impressions of the ski really translated accurately to what I expected when on the snow. The new 88 is lot more relaxed than the out going model; it is significantly more versatile without losing the tenacious grip of the old Experience. Previous models had one turn shape that they wanted to make all day; the new one can make that same middle-radius turn but many others, as well. The new 88 skis rings around the outgoing skis in cut-up snow and mixed conditions. Where the old model would steer away from moguls, the new one has you scouting them out. Now, I am not saying that a week on this ski will get you ready for the Freestyle World Cup, but anyone who can ski confidently down a mogul trail will really appreciate time on these skis.

I also like that these new Experiences are available with or without the SPX Konect Dual system binding, which accommodates alpine, GripWalk, and WTR.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for all-mountain performance. This is an 88 that is not limited to the groomers; it wants to explore.
  • Who is it not for? Lazy skiers. The new Experience wants some input from you; it is not a park-and-ride ski.
  • Insider tip: Unless you are looking to play with mount position or sharing skis and need flexibility in BSL adjustment, bypass the SPX Konect Dual binding and put on the all-new Look Pivot 14 AW Forza; the orange will pop and you will reduce some swing and static weight.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
This one is on my radar for next season, I'm kind of a Rossi fan i guess.

With my 2014 E88's getting a bit long in the tooth and perhaps a bit too compliant, I'm in the mood for something that will do well in chopped up conditions, be loose enough to finesse the moguls and still get on edge down the groomers. @Philpug how does this ski compare with the Brahma, Brahma CA?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This one is on my radar for next season, I'm kind of a Rossi fan i guess.

With my 2014 E88's getting a bit long in the tooth and perhaps a bit too compliant, I'm in the mood for something that will do well in chopped up conditions, be loose enough to finesse the moguls and still get on edge down the groomers. @Philpug how does this ski compare with the Brahma, Brahma CA?
More on par with the Brahma than the Bushwacker (formally the CA). I like the back half of the Rossi a little better, it is more connected to the snow but not as locked in as the out going ski. I did really like it in the bumps too. I find that the Experience is damper than the Brahma and it jsut slayed crud where the Brahma was a little noiser with more feedback.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@utskier still misses his old E88s, but less and less. He was commenting at Alta yesterday that while the rocker makes him want a longer ski, they really lock into and hold a turn nicely. And as usual, he rips all over the mountain in any conditions on them.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will this new E88 in 187 cm accommodate a larger skier or should I look elsewhere (6'6", 225 lb)? I do want something a little more compliant in the bumps. I currently ski an Elan 88 XTi in 186 cm as my daily driver.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will this new E88 in 187 cm accommodate a larger skier or should I look elsewhere (6'6", 225 lb)? I do want something a little more compliant in the bumps. I currently ski an Elan 88 XTi in 186 cm as my daily driver.
You will be A-OK.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The E88 was one of the best. examples of steady refinement yielding a pretty great ski by its final iterations. It was the best answer for: if you only can have one ski, 70/30 mix on and off piste/ what do you you buy?

I have heard a lot of mixed reports on this ski. The professional reviews like pugski and skiessentials are quite positive.. every other shop employee I've spoken to who got on it during the demo days are far less enthusiastic about the new ski. I haven't tried or seen one, but the outgoing E88 sure ticked a lot of boxes for a wide swath of skiers.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
Phil, did you mention the core construction of the new E88? I heard Rossi moved away from Poplar/Pauwlonia wood to a synthetic core in the new version.

Honestly, the previous Exp line and the upcoming Exp line of skis seem so completely different, with completely different construction, that it almost seems unfair to compare the two side by side.

I like the old E-line for being so lightweight and easy to maneuver. No metal, air tip, carbon alloy matrix, light wood core, makes for very easy skiing and not quickly tired legs like when I ski on heavier "two sheets of metal" type skis.

And Suberbman, to your point about Professional Ski Shop reviews vs. other reviews, obviously there is some skin in the game for ski retailers to give the most positive review they can when they will be carrying and trying to sell the ski. Obviously this doesn't really apply to Phil/Pug, but a lot of review videos and write-ups out there that are associated with a retailer who carries the product are going to give the most positive angle they can. I don't think I've ever watched/read a negative or even lukewarm review from anyone trying to sell the ski. So the truth probably lies somewhere in the word of mouth reviews of shop employees, instructors, patrol men, etc.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Why settle for a 70/30 ski? This new Experience 88Ti is a 70/70 ski :)

rossi EX88ti.JPG

I can't compare these to last years version, my current "quiver" consists of a pair of Heads, Rally 163 on the narrow end and Monster 98 x169 on the wide side, yes I love Head.

I got a chance to demo the EXP88ti at A Basin during the Mothers' Day Gathering. I found them to be light, easy to ski in bumps and not really fazed by spring conditions whether it was early refrozen, hard groomed surface right through the afternoon slush. I traded my Monsters with @Philpug on the Hill to get on these so there wasn't time for questions but after skiing a few turns I'm thinking I found something special here. @Gary Stolt asked me how long they were. I told him I really didn't want to know they felt that good. I checked at end of day and they were 180's about 10 more than my suggested length.

My first impression is this ski makes just about any turn shape. Short turns down the fall line to GS turns in slushy, grabby spring snow, no problem. Looking for slippy, slidey off piste turns sure thing. Did I mention they ski bumps way better than I do? Let these skis know what you want them to do and they respond. I can't wait to try the Experience in 172, I think there may be a pair of these in my future.

I'd like to thank Phil and Tricia for all the work they do to bring 20 some pairs of demo skis and bins of bindings to the Gathering. I hope that the various manufacturers appreciate the amount of work they put into this. I've got no conflict of interest or bias and that is what makes reviews here of value, at least to me.

coachmdd

Booting up
Skier
If you had a pair of 3 year old E88’s and bought a new pair, how would you use the 2 differently this coming season?

Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you had a pair of 3 year old E88’s and bought a new pair, how would you use the 2 differently this coming season?

Thanks
The older pair would be regulated to being a hard snow ski and I would put an aggressive 1*/3* bevel on them. The new one I would use as a mixed snow ski up to boot top powder.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The Rossi lineup parallels the Head line up in that in both lines, the Rossi 84 and Head 83 are skis that should not be overlooked as well when demoing their respective 88's. I was quite impressed with both of these lineups. :thumb:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had @smoothrides put a fresh tune on the Experience 88 Ti and they are skiing great. I took them out yesterday for some early season turns at Northstar and while I was tempted to take a narrower ski because it would be a groomer day, I chose these and they were the weapon of choice for the cut up snow and uhh..variable grooming.

Since I got on the all new Rossi, I have been constantly impressed how they made the ski so much more versatile than the outgoing model.
i11Ly+5GSJKyTV9kGxznuQ.jpg
mbE8ALneTO+aA9LfIuqfLQ.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5637.JPG

Why do they have blue stripes?
@utskier still misses his old E88s, but less and less. He was commenting at Alta yesterday that while the rocker makes him want a longer ski, they really lock into and hold a turn nicely. And as usual, he rips all over the mountain in any conditions on them.
How does he feel now? I suspect he doesn't miss the old anymore.

I have heard a lot of mixed reports on this ski. The professional reviews like pugski and skiessentials are quite positive.. every other shop employee I've spoken to who got on it during the demo days are far less enthusiastic about the new ski. I haven't tried or seen one, but the outgoing E88 sure ticked a lot of boxes for a wide swath of skiers.
The new one ticks a wider swath. Much more versatile in general and for more skiers. Really it's a no brainer ski. Looking for a ski for christmas around the 88th width? Just get the new E88.

I haven't skied the recent Stockli SR88, but did the previous generation. I would say the E88 is way more fun and versatile, plus lighter if that matters. I definitely enjoyed the smooth feeling of the Stockli at times, but as an overall experience I'd give that up for this ski. (Maybe put a Deflex plate on the E88...lol. Kidding)
Seriously, this ski is a home run from Rossi. I went out of my way to ski the crappiest snow I could find, refrosen tracker damp powder. Handles it just fine. It's not a tank that plows through and wows with it's stability, it's just not fazed and somehow it's still fun.

Now if you really want that damp, smooth feel, and prefer the metallic topsheet, get the Stockli at 50% more.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 59075
Why do they have blue stripes?
The blue ones are the Experience 88W, the Temptation name is no longer.

After skiing these again it is easy to forget how good the ski is. It did everything the old ski could do with a slight tighter turn radius but is sooo much better in mixed conditions. Everything @James said is accurate, throw what you want at the EXP88Ti, it will just chuckle and reply, "is that all you got?". The ski is really deceptively easy to ski yet has a level power that you wouldn't expect. This also rings true for the 84 and the 94.

James

Out There
Instructor
The blue ones are the Experience 88W, the Temptation name is no longer.

After skiing these again it is easy to forget how good the ski is. It did everything the old ski could do with a slight tighter turn radius but is sooo much better in mixed conditions. Everything @James said is accurate, throw what you want at the EXP88Ti, it will just chuckle and reply, "is that all you got?". The ski is really deceptively easy to ski yet has a level power that you wouldn't expect. This also rings true for the 84 and the 94.
Ahh, the blue is the women's version, I see. @bbinder doesn't want the blue version.

If you go somewhere and are wondering what skis to rent, these Experience 88's are the thing. Sounds like the same for the others. Really a winner.
If Stockli made this thing with their baby seal skin, I'd probably sell things to get a pair.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, after skiing them in variable, SWEET conditions yesterday, @utskier prefers the previous version of this ski, and is going to be selling his new Experience 88s, which have 3 days on them AND have been tuned by him at the shop where he works, so they have a GREAT tune. He just does not like how light they are and much prefers the previous version. Just putting that out there...they are mounted with Look NX12's (I believe.) Not sure what price yet.

On that note, if anyone has a line on a pair of 2018 or even 2017 E88s that are VERY gently used, or a brand new pair, shoot me a PM.

Sponsor