• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Agree with Noodler--for an nominal 80mm ski, look at the Stockli AX or AR, Liberty V82, the Fischer, Volkl Deacon, perhaps the new K2 Disruption, or one of the Head Super Shapes, etc...
Thank you, both. I have the Deacon 84 and the Hero Elite Plus. Love the Deacon, have only skied on the Elite Plus once so far, as it was an ex demo/rental that I snapped up at the very end of last season (such that I didn’t get even one run on them until this season). I thought the Spitfire 80 would compete with both with a racier feel, but sounds like not the case.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I does seem as if the RB series is somehow misplaced, trying to force it into a hard snow carver mold. Even the original 72 proved to be much more fun in soft spring snow last year than I ever would have predicted. Makes sense that the classic racing design/construction doesn't include carbon.

AlpedHuez

Skier
I does seem as if the RB series is somehow misplaced, trying to force it into a hard snow carver mold. Even the original 72 proved to be much more fun in soft spring snow last year than I ever would have predicted. Makes sense that the classic racing design/construction doesn't include carbon.
Well I was looking at it for its soft snow capability more than its on piste carving charger abilities anyway. As I already have a Deacon 84 and a Hero Elite Plus at 78mm. So something wider with a racier feel is my remit.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Sounds like you want a Stockli AR....
Yes indeed I have deduced from this forum that that is the way to go. Will see if I can pick up a pair online if not in one of the few UK retailers.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the AR ( 83 underfoot ) going to offer much of a different experience than his Deacon 84 to warrant both in his quiver ? The AR is still pretty traditional in shape, and the Deacon 84 isn't a wimpy ski.

I'd think @AlpedHuez would have much more ski variety with an 88 or 90-something with a bit of shape -> Brahma, Ripstick, Ranger, Enforcer, Kore, DPS, etc.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Is the AR ( 83 underfoot ) going to offer much of a different experience than his Deacon 84 to warrant both in his quiver ? The AR is still pretty traditional in shape, and the Deacon 84 isn't a wimpy ski.

I'd think @AlpedHuez would have much more ski variety with an 88 or 90-something with a bit of shape -> Brahma, Ripstick, Ranger, Enforcer, Kore, DPS, etc.

Good point, ARL67. High 80s underfoot is really more my missing width than low 80s. I am looking out for next year’s Bonafides, but perhaps I really should be going for the Brahma or Enforcer (I have the first season Kore 93 from 17-18, but that is too floppy for me at speed, so it’s all but put to rest in my collection).

AlpedHuez

Skier
What about the Navigator 90? I know it doesn’t get as much ink as the Enforcers, but if I was basically looking for a wider carving ski than the Spitfire, wouldn’t this fit the bill? Or not in the same league as, say, a Brahma 88? I don’t particularly need the rounded off tail of the Enforcer, so what would I be losing in off-piste / all mountain versatility anyway?

Reactions: eok

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know @Philpug has often posted that he is a big fan of the Navigator 90 -> an Enforcer'ish tip and a flatter tail for better front-side. Look into the threads of the reviews of the 80-90 skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid