• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Andrew -- if you are reading, how about
"Grump the Younger"
"Another Grump"
or just "A Grump" ?

He's got it narrowed down to two,

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The reason why I would love to have the gathering in the east is to watch people try to ski stuff like national bumps on monday.

With that said they were really hurting my bruised leg, but they were masochistically fun.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The reason why I would love to have the gathering in the east is to watch people try to ski stuff like national bumps on monday.

Well I think you'd only get a handful of people skiing them - likely mostly the same folks who skied them on Monday. :)

I wonder how many folks at a 60 or 70 person Gathering would have come out Sunday morning... I'm guessing quite a few.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Sunday was great snow. Most user friendly snow we had.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

With that said they were really hurting my bruised leg, but they were masochistically fun.
Since the opportunity has unfortunately passed for this year, can we use Slalom Slope at A-basin as a proxy in a few weeks? ogsmile

As @James mentioned it, I think maybe a 19-degree morning after a sunny 50-degree day can produce fairly miserable conditions there. Probably not as bad as National was Monday, but certainly worth shooting some video of Pugs skiing.

Speaking of which, where's the video of all you masochists skiing those "good for you" conditions? :D

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Sorry no reason to if the discussion is getting back to Zipperline bumps skiing.

like I have always said, there is nothing like bad eastern conditions. Skiing out west even in supposed firm snow at A basin is WAY easier. Just read Rachel's post.

Noone took video because it would just look like bad skiing, even my skiing would look like bad skiing(I think) with out context of other skiers no one would understand what that condition was like.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I regret not taking pictures of our tracks from the lift. It would have been a great image, both for illustration and because the deep isolated tracks looked cool.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of which, where's the video of all you masochists skiing those "good for you" conditions? :D

I should have taken some video on Sunday morning in the rain... :doh: The only problem was I could hardly see where I was going, much less aim a camera properly. :eek::D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Y'all have waterproof phones I hope! That rain would be a pretty quick death to a phone that isn't certified waterproof. I killed several phones just from the moisture in my jacket pocket here in dry Colorado prior to buying waterproof phones that have survived for years.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Y'all have waterproof phones I hope! That rain would be a pretty quick death to a phone that isn't certified waterproof. I killed several phones just from the moisture in my jacket pocket here in dry Colorado prior to buying waterproof phones that have survived for years.

I had my phone in an inside pocket of my midlayer, and it stayed dry (at least as dry as it ever does). My camera I put in an outside pocket, but it's waterproof.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sunday was great snow. Most user friendly snow we had.
Wait, what about the pow?
With the Titanic icebergs underneath.

@mdf, @Tony S and I skied Liftline at the end of the day. We'd seen two patrollers make at least two laps down it. I figured they were getting in their crappy conditions skiing practice with all the glare ice we saw. Tony claimed we hadn't skied it, technically this was true since we only did the top. The traverse in was likely now all blown off and icy. There was ice all over the place, end of day, it's steep... Ok, this goes to the Ministry of Bad Ideas. Yep, approved. We're skiing Liftline. At least I had that Gatorade protein bar to gnaw on.
Well the traverse in past the enormous ice patch was actually...soft. If you turned on the right spots it could be quiet skiing. We entered way left on Liftline as right was very shiny. Several turns in it was apparent those patrollers weren't skiing crap but cutup powder. Sly devils.

Tony left after that run. It's like 20 to four. Mdf and I head up for another. We're tired. Shouldn't we do a relaxing high speed groomer? No, there's like ice junks in the powder, plus annoying random banana bumps. "We're going to do Liftline again aren't we?"
- "Yeah, probably"
I attempted to make turns from powder pile to powder pile, across the ice, with as little energy as possible. It was pretty nice. It's not exactly low energy terrain though. Halfway down I'm at the enormous ice patch where someone got stuck, their legs crossed but the downhill one was keeping them from sliding down. I got into this position at Mad River but it was in mank so you just stick like a velcro suit. The only way out was to uncross, slide, self arrest. We never saw how it came out.

So, tired of this la di da puff pile skiing, I go for the ice patch. It's textured, it should have grip, it'll wake me up. Turns out, it's not bad. I make like four turns then see powder on the side and think this is crazy, I need to ski powder. Yeah, there's a reason no one skied it all day. Random chunks, ice alligators, all sorts of junk in there. Then at the end a huge hole if your not careful. Ugghh, should've stuck with the ice, at least it's consistent and you can see it.
The rest was a section of quick low bumps and try not to crash coming out to the crossing trail like last time.
Then glide out. We just miss last chair. So we ski down Mt Everest to the lodge.

Sponsor