• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
PR-Header-NASTAR.jpg
[Olympic Valley, Calif.] May 31, 2018 – U.S. Ski & Snowboard announced today that the Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championships will return to Squaw Valley April 3-7, 2019. With U.S. Alpine Championships and NorAm Finals wrapping up in March, the early April dates will allow for maximum attendance from U.S. Ski Team members and ideal timing for good snow cover at Squaw Valley.

The passion and dedication of the NASTAR community was on full display at last year’s Nationals at Squaw Valley, complimented by steep, fast courses, celebrity pacesetter appearances from the likes of Daron Rahlves and Marco Sullivan and a wide range of entertainment options at the resort and beyond.

“Squaw Valley showed such dedication to putting on a great event for our racers last year,” said Director of NASTAR Bill Madsen. “We are excited to bring the Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championships back to Squaw Valley and once again provide the NASTAR nation with the opportunity to experience western spring skiing in all of its glory.”

Squaw Valley sees an average of six feet of snow in the month of March, making early April a prime time for a racing event. In addition to great skiing conditions, the Tahoe area has plenty of activities for the NASTAR individual and family alike. Squaw Valley offers activities like snow tubing, mini-snowmobiling and a free Olympic Museum accessed by the scenic Aerial Tram to High Camp at 8,200 feet. The stunning blue water of Lake Tahoe is just a 10 minute drive from the resort. The North Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas have a diverse range of dining options, museums, activities, events and nightlife.

“Everyone at Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows is looking forward to hosting our second year of NASTAR Nationals,” said James Clifford, Squaw Valley events services manager. “We saw a record-breaking year in participation in the NASTAR race course at the resort, which tells us that interest in our region is growing rapidly. The season-long course is a fun, easy way for skiers and riders of all ability levels to try out racing. The stoke level of the NASTAR athletes is something that brings amazing energy to both of our mountains and we can’t wait to entertain these passionate racers for yet another year.”

NASTAR participants qualify for the championships by winning a medal on two or more race days at any of the 100+ NASTAR resorts during the 2018-19 season within their age, gender and ability group. Racers can also qualify by earning a top ranking at a Regional Championship event. In addition to the Alpine Ski division, the NASTAR National Championships will also host snowboard, telemark and physically challenged disciplines. Just a 45-minute drive from the Reno-Tahoe International (RNO) airport via all-weather Interstate 80, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows can be easily reached on nonstop flights daily from 20 U.S. cities including Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York and more. For more information, visit www.nastar.com.

About NASTAR
NASTAR stands for NAtional STAndard Race and is the largest public grassroots ski racing program in the world. Founded in 1968, NASTAR gives recreational racers an opportunity to compete and compare their scores to friends and family regardless of when and where they race using the NASTAR handicap system. NASTAR was developed by SKI Magazine in 1968 and now boasts more than 100,000 races at over 100 resorts around the country. Racers are scored with a handicap system that provides participants with a tangible number, or handicap, that represents their ability against U.S. Ski Team athletes and pacesetters. Today, NASTAR is operated by U.S. Ski & Snowboard. Through this association with the U.S. Ski & Snowboard and U.S. Ski Team, NASTAR is bringing greater awareness to the sport and value to the industry while motivating participants of all ages to get involved in ski racing. For more information, visit nastar.com.

About Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows
Voted ‘Best Ski Resort’ in North America for the third year in a row by USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is an internationally renowned mountain resort in North Lake Tahoe, California. Spanning over 6,000 skiable acres across two mountains, skiers and riders of all ability levels are welcomed by over 65 percent beginner and intermediate terrain, 14 easy-to-navigate mountain zones and a custom app to make the most of every visit. The resort features slopeside lodging at The Village at Squaw Valley®, which bustles year round with nonstop events and over 50 bars, restaurants and boutiques. With an annual average of 450 inches of snowfall and 300 sunny California days, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is known as the Spring Skiing Capital™ as it provides one of the longest ski and snowboard seasons in Lake Tahoe. Visit squawalpine.com or call 1.800.403.0206 to learn more.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Original dates in March clashed with Masters Nationals at Mammoth. Unfortunately the new date also clashes with FW Masters Season Finals

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
These dates will work better for kids in school. This is Spring Break week here in Michigan

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Seems way too late in the year for good racing conditions unless you like deep ruts. Fun spring freesking though.
In 2017 NASTAR Championships ar Steamboat, we raced in 60 degree temps. The race crew treated the courses with urea and they held up great. I'd rather have that than rain...

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember there are restrictions on using salt and especially fertilzer ( urea) in the tahoe basin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't remember the weather details, but I think we had some snow storms during the week that NASTAR nationals were at Squaw this year.
My gut says that the timing in early April may provide good conditions.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Remember there are restrictions on using salt and especially fertilzer ( urea) in the tahoe basin

Sorry, I wasn't aware of these restrictions. In our area they really frown upon salt but will allow fertilizer.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I love NASTAR!
Was invited to the Nationals a while back but couldn’t make it to Colorado..The year I earned a rank from one of just two runs I made and first time down through gates in a decade!
Ok, my standings were gained from probably the smallest NASTAR venue and a Geezer Bronze at that -but hey, my time and Rank that year are forever in the books!
:)

Last edited:

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
This past March we experienced every conceivable type of weather from rain to cold to windy to spectacular bluebird days. No way to anticipate what you're going to experience other than fun.

I wouldn't miss it for anything.

413941649.jpg

BTW, my six year old grandson told me he needs to go with a longer board...

413826182.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January