• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Movies and beyond - what have you watched/looking forward to?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Tarrantino and LOVED it.......................................... Didn't get to see Secret life of Pets 2 as work got in the way.

Looking forward to Coming to America 2 as well as the 2 upcoming Halloween movies Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends.

My SO just had me watch Blazing Saddles and well....... didn't do it for me. Fine movie I'm sure but just too dopey. If I want to watch Mel Brooks I'll watch History of the World Part 1.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I a looking forward to Once Upon a Time... we just haven't had a chance to get to see it. I do want to see Hobbs & Shaw, I am a F&F fanboy. I will see Jay & Silent Bob Reboot because as Kevin Smiths mother says "There is always money in dick and fart jokes". Rambo, if it gets above 7.5 on IMDB, if not I will wait for the rental.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My SO just had me watch Blazing Saddles and well....... didn't do it for me. Fine movie I'm sure but just too dopey. If I want to watch Mel Brooks I'll watch History of the World Part 1.
Sorry, no way in hell is History better than Blazing Saddles while it has some chuckle moments it does not have the belly laughs that Blazing Saddles has. Other than "It's good to be the king" and "Piss boy..." not near the quotability either. The best Mel Brooks is Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sorry, no way in hell is History better than Blazing Saddles while it has some chuckle moments it does not have the belly laughs that Blazing Saddles has. Other than "It's good to be the king" and "Piss boy..." not near the quotability either. The best Mel Brooks is Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.

Subjective..... Perhaps I was drinking the wrong cocktail...... I wasn't saying history of the world was funnier, just that I enjoyed it more. I found Blazing saddles dopey. My SO used to constantly rave about Blazing saddles and he didn't get into it this last time either. Right there with ya on Young Frankenstein.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rolling Stone Mag, BZ #1
IMDB BZ #3....HotW, Pt1 #19

I am not sure of there is a list anywhere that HotW is with in 5 or 10 places of Blazing Saddles place on all time funniest lists. There are many things that are subjective but BZ is a far superior movie in every aspect. ;)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not into lists or stats. Just because something makes the most money or is on every #1 list doesn't meant that everyone has to like it.

I was never comparing BS over HOTW pt 1, just saying I like 1 over the other.

I have several movies that I think are the best in the entire planet but that's my opinion. Some are rated high on list and RT thinks they are perfect but I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

I thought it would be fun to talk about what movies we wanted to see or had seen. I would never say someone's choice of one movie over the other is ludicrous and list articles and polls showing why one movie is better than the other because it appears on a list that someone put together. ;)

It is subjective because people are entitled to their opinions about whether or not they like a movie and just because it appears on a list doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. I have a handful of movies that are super high on lists and have won award after award but I'd rather go to the dentist than watch them. It doesn't mean they are bad movies but it just means they aren't my thing.

I liked Young Frankenstein.
:beercheer:

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
"The Art of Racing in the Rain", read the book and really enjoyed it. The trailers look like they might have done it justice.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
What do I want to see? Any and all Marvel Movies. As for all time favorites....Blazing saddles is the finest cowboy/comedy/social commentary ever made. Gut laughs galore and still making a point that racism is ridiculous. Personally I don't think Mel Brooks can make a bad movie. I also love old war movies IE: A Bridge to Far, Midway, etc. and believe it or not I'm a sucker for the cute little movies like the Princess Diaries. (and yes my wife makes fun of me).

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I chuckled a tiny bit during Blazing Saddles but part of my thing is I don't like westerns. I almost didn't watch the tv show firely because of the space meets western theme but I forged on and loved the show. Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein's are 2 of my SO's favorite Mel Brooks pieces. There was a funny line or two in there but it was dopey to me and it was way too musical like. I get how epic it was for it's time and how important the movie was and a great feather in the cap for Mr. Books. I remember watching it when I was 10 and didn't impression me at all. I watched it very recently with an adult beverage with open eyes and lots of curiosity but aside from a one liner here and there it never delivered for me. Part of it is also I'm generally not a fan of movies made before a certain time, the sound, the acting, the cheesiness. I watched it with a beer, perhaps I should go for straight vodka next time.

Perhaps an admin can change the title of this thread from 2019 movies and beyond to Movie discussions; new and old since it seems to be morphing into that.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We recently saw and really enjoyed Rocketman.

I find Tarantino movies become too much, for me, about Tarantino. Will likely wait until Once Upon a Time... comes to cable or maybe will see it on an airplane to some ski destination this winter.

Re. Mel Brooks - Young Frankenstein by a mile.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Rocketman... yes that's right......... Loved the guy who played Elton. What a fabulous job he did. Some of it was over the top like when he almost died from the drug overdose/suicide attempt and he broke out into a musical number as he was being carried into the ambulance. Stuff like that was silly but overall it was a great flick. It revitalized my love for Elton and his music. I also would leave my SO for the guy who played Elton's first boyfriend. Hated the scumbag manager he played but on shallow level............. Bohemian Rhapsody was all kinds of excellent too.

Once Upon a time was good, not sure I want to see it again cause it was a bit long but so well done. Not really over the top til the end.. I enjoyed the discussions we had about the ending. Definitely worth a watch. Kill Bill I and II are still my favorites of his.....

My SO made me watch Young Frankenstein when we first started dating, said it was a requirement if we were going to see each other. Probably time to see it again, it's been a while.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I liked Bohemian Rhapsody but felt like Rocketman was a much more creatively put together movie. I liked the over the top song sequences that moved the narrative along. I also liked that the music did not go in chronological order. Rhapsody was well done, but, it was a standard bio pic. Well acted, scripted and directed standard bio pic.

I am not a huge fan of either Queen nor Elton John though I totally respect their talent.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rocketman was excellent and I really liked Egerton in the role. I've been binging on Elton's early albums since I saw it. Yesterday was also excellent for any Beatles fan. Loved Bohemian Rhapsody.

I love Tarantino's movies but I'm not sure how I feel about Once Upon... I liked it, but I think my expectations were too high going in. I'll need to see it again.

As for upcoming movies, I'm with James with Ford v. Ferrari. IT 2 and Ad Astra are high on the list as well. Can't decide on Gemini Man but the most recent trailer looked pretty good. SW: The Rise of Skywalker will hopefully improve on the last movie but we'll see.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm really kinda nervous about the Ferrari vs Ford movie.. Could be good..could be terrible.. I hope they make the connection between the Lola Mk6 and the GT40. Fingers crossed....
And I can't see Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm really kinda nervous about the Ferrari vs Ford movie.. Could be good..could be terrible.. I hope they make the connection between the Lola Mk6 and the GT40. Fingers crossed....
And I can't see Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby..
I am really looking forward to it. It is just refreshing that we don't have to rescue Matt Damon again.;) Christian Bale rarely ties himself to anything that is not top notch.

Sponsor

Staff online