• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.59.36 AM.png
The Liberty V-Series V76 takes on the Head Supershape iRally. Am I really going there? Am I really going to put the all-new, relatively unknown, mostly unproven Liberty up against the reference ski in the segment? Hell yeah. Because this very good Liberty has everything to gain and nothing to lose in what would seem to be a one-sided Cage Match, a battle reminiscent of the relatively unknown South Philly southpaw Rocky Balboa going up against world champion Apollo Creed on July 4, 1976 -- and we all know how that turned out.

Let's start with the iRally. What can I say about the iRally now that I haven’t said before? Not much other than for 2018, Head installed a new GripWalk-compatible PRD binding that is a huge improvement over its predecessor, not because it is GW-compatible but because the new AFD design changed the delta of the binding, allowing a much more natural stance. On-snow precision is something the iRally delivers in spades, which is why this Head has been a darling of technical skiers and instructors since its introduction.

Liberty?? Some will ask, Who the ^%&# is Liberty? Others might ask, Why does it deserve this Cage Match? A select few who have been lucky enough to get on this awesome new ski will say, This is gonna be good. Well, the all-new V-Series with its VMT (Vertical Metal Technology) is the real deal. The elongated tip profile will start any turn shape you ask of it, and the bamboo/poplar core is light yet damp and has the power you expect from a 76mm-waisted ski. Please, take our word for it: this is a Cage Match where there is no wrong answer; you can stand up tall and say, "Give me Liberty or give me ... the other great option!"
  • Why choose the iRally? You know exactly what you want in a hard-snow ski, you read our reviews, you read everyone else's ... we all agree, the iRally is the reference ski in the category.
  • Why choose the V76? You are ready for something different, you want a 76mm ski that doesn’t have to be worked hard to ski in 3D snow, you want a ski that is playful and has a sense of humor ... how many skis in this category can you say that about?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
sharktooth ice frozen NE bumps - pick the V76?

My guess is, per a hand flex test, that the V76 has a more forgiving tip that would absorb the rock hard bumps better, while edge hold would not be an issue.

The Rally was always a bit too stiff for me in bumps, but that’s just me.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The VMT’s are for real. I wish we could have videoed the team testing them. All were befuddled in a good way. No One really knew what to expect. I mean, Liberty only makes new school super floppy, rockered Skis, right? wrong! The ski is unique in that the tips are soft but they stiffen progressively and are quite stiff from mid sole back. The VMT reminds me of the Stockli ax in some ways (yes, I’m going there too) in that they both have a really nice damp glued to the snow feel and when on edge, this ski rips and is quite serious (stil not race ski stiff) but when skied flat, it’s quite versatile and @Wendy yes, that softer tip does make the ski usable off piste , again, much like the venerable AX. (Still my favorite ski EVER). The liberty does have a more fun, poppy energy though.

Off topic, but I just ordered a V92 for my personal quiver. I will have them mounted with demos so I am happy to get pugs on them.

Last edited:

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Okay, I need to demo a pair of V76's. My supershape speed's are getting a bit long in the tooth.

In other news, I love that making turns is back in fashion.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The VMT’s are for real. I wish we could have videoed the team testing them. All were befuddled in a good way. No One really knew what to expect. I mean, Liberty only makes new school super floppy, rockered Skis, right? wrong! The ski is unique in that the tips are soft but they stiffen progressively and are quite stiff from mid sole back. The VMT reminds me of the Stockli ax in some ways (yes, I’m going there too) in that they both have a really nice damp glued to the snow feel and when on edge, this ski rips and is quite serious (stil not race ski stiff) but when skied flat, it’s quite versatile and @Wendy yes, that softer tip does make the ski usable off piste , again, much like the venerable AX. (Still my favorite ski EVER). The liberty does have a more fun, poppy energy though.

Off topic, but I just ordered a V92 for my personal quiver. I will have them mounted with demos so I am happy to get pugs on them.

Definitely interested in testing them out! Im free after the 28th :D

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Enticed by the Pro-Deal, and based solely on reviews from this forum, I took the plunge for some V76's. Its opening day at the little bump tomorrow, and I am hoping to try them out . Hopefully I wont be disappointed. ;)

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So ... how was it?

:wag:

Unfortunately, disappointment. When I went to pick up my skis at the local shop on Thursday, they WEREN'T READY :doh::nono:. So, I will have to wait till next time.
The skiing was great , though. Day number 1 :yahoo: Lots of friends were there, snow was excellent.

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
V76 or V82 for all-around eastern ski?

Looking for good carving ability on firm snow, but not a one-trick pony. Needs to work off-piste. Not terribly fast skier, mid- to high 30 MPH max generally on uncrowded, smooth groomers according to phone app.

In recent years have mainly skied a heavier 80-ish ski with metal and light rocker (Salomon Enduro 800), which I have found to be very versatile, on- and off-piste, in crud, etc. Other skis I've demoed and liked over the years were Atomic Vantage 90 and Volkl Kendo.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
V76 or V82 for all-around eastern ski?

Looking for good carving ability on firm snow, but not a one-trick pony. Needs to work off-piste. Not terribly fast skier, mid- to high 30 MPH max generally on uncrowded, smooth groomers according to phone app.

In recent years have mainly skied a heavier 80-ish ski with metal and light rocker (Salomon Enduro 800), which I have found to be very versatile, on- and off-piste, in crud, etc. Other skis I've demoed and liked over the years were Atomic Vantage 90 and Volkl Kendo.
I think the 82 will give you a bit more versatility that the 76 especially if you want to venture a bit off piste.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Yep...the Liberty VMT series is the real deal....distinctive feel, intuitive turn initiation and auto-follow-through and as sporty as you want to drive them. Interesting construction with poured liquid sidewalls (yes, liquid plastic poured into the moulds (molds for U.S. English speakers) to fill create sidewall structures. Spring steel binding plates, full carbon-layer sheet and stringers.

We will be heading out onto our first real Eastern Boilerplate this week (rain-soaked Worldcup racecourse reground for days and then subjected to teens-and-twenties temperatures for two days after rainy meltdown conditions). This should put them to the test. We have the VMT 76 to test...stay tuned...

Yes, floppy freeride companies CAN make frontside groomer carvers. You gotta have faith and try some brands you might not think are up your alley! We were blown away by the VMT series last Spring at the dealer demos. I think the VMT has a more widespread usage comfort zone than the excellent SuperShape Rally, and a different feel. The VMT has a bit more relaxed attitude than the Rally, yet yields serious grippy arcs at high pressure with a great feel underfoot and lots of sports car performance. The VMT seems to feel a little lighter (or at least less business-like) underfoot than the SuperShape Rally. Anyway...Phil and I seem to have the same opinions about the way skis feel, and I'm 100% in agreement with his observations...

More to come....

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I think the 82 will give you a bit more versatility that the 76 especially if you want to venture a bit off piste.

Ditto...the 82 is a winner for all-mountain arcs on the frontside if you want to make some runs when fresh snow has fallen. That ski trucks.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you size the VMT series? As one would normally size a ski for height / weight and ability? Or, like a Fischer Curv series ski where the desired turn shape is the guiding factor?

Sponsor