• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Kastle MX99 184cm

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update: I've order an MX99 184 and cant wait for them to arrive! Decided to sell my near mint condition MX98 184 and FX95HP. May post in buy and sell if someone locally (Vancouver BC) doesnt grab them.
Got 10 days in on my FX106HP last season and pleased to see the thumbnail reviewers as stoked as I am with them. They are the most impressive FX/BMX ski Kastle has built

In terms of just the Kastles, I agree with this. I'd own the Kastle 106 HP and the MX 74, as a two ski quiver.

But I haven't skied the MX 99, and am told it is fantastic, a different ski I'd like. Not sure, but....

When I stopped by a Kastle dealer, I was told that their favorite Kastle is the MX 99, a wonderfully better ski, they said.

My question for @Alexzn is, can you feel an effect from the carbon other than it dampens? Does it effect the liveliness, rebound or the way the ski planes in powder/crud/rough snow?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
My question for @Alexzn is, can you feel an effect from the carbon other than it dampens? Does it effect the liveliness, rebound or the way the ski planes in powder/crud/rough snow?

I am not Alex but when I demoed the MX99 my sense is that the carbon made it feel slightly more lively and perhaps gave it a little extra spring out of a turn. My basis for the comparison is that I own a pair of MX88s and my main thought, after the demo, is that I would like to try a pair of MX89s or MX84s with carbon as part of the layup. It is possible that some of the perceived difference is due to the relative age of the skis .

I thought is was a terrific ski. It seems to be aimed at an odd and perhaps small segment of the skiing market however.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
My MX99' 184's just arrived! Getting them mounted up this weekend. Putting my favorite Salomon STH 13's on them in matching B & W. Flexing them they are stiffer underfoot and in the tails than the MX98's I sold. Haven't been this excited about a new ski in a while. Review to come after I get a few days on them in real conditons. Right now all we have in the PNW is a vaneer of man made snow

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@ski otter 2 : It is hard to tell, as I do not have much experience with the MX98. MX99 does feel quite different from the FX95HP, it is hard to describe.FX95HP is quite stable and quiet, MX99 is a whole another level above. I am sure the carbon contributes to this feeling somewhat.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Is mx99 discontinued? Hard to believe after only one year in the lineup...of course the market for it is bloody small (but dedicated).

No, it's not.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
It's just a lovely, powerful ski that unfortunately works for only a small small percentage of the ski market.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's just a lovely, powerful ski that unfortunately works for only a small small percentage of the ski market.
In a world of skis that do a lot of things well, we need more skis like the MX99, skis that have a pin point purpose and do few things excellently.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
In a world of skis that do a lot of things well, we need more skis like the MX99, skis that have a pin point purpose and do few things excellently.
Actually, do not find that they have a pinpoint purpose, but I may be jaded. Are they a trade-off? You bet, do I enjoy the overall result? You bet!

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Update - 1st full day on the MX99, Whistler Jan 5, 5 to 15cm new snow on top of soft base, windy, not able to get in high alpine or test boot+ float/behavior.

Short - considering it was my first full day of the season and this ski is considered low on the accessibility/versitility scale by most I was jaw dropped by how responsive, versitile and easy this ski is! I was charging cut up snow, bumps, steeps with as much or more confidence than I ever have which is not normal for me on a new ski and 1st full day of skiing. This ski is a missle in mixed snow conditions, rails groomers now initiating with just a slight ankle roll and was remarkably easy to pivot and dump speed on in tighter spaces and mogul fields. Conditions were pretty good so that helps any ski seem easier to ski but I played around enough in heavier chop and firmer snow to get a sense of the big picture. Usually on any day on a new ski something or some condition catches you /the ski out but that just didnt happen on the MX99 it was just so darn predictable :yahoo:

Compared to the MX98 takeaways - MX99's initiate with less effort and are quicker, the carbon adds another level of power and dampening without making them less forgiving, they are even better at speed and in rough snow, the new tip shape and outline improve overall agility and float.

BTW - Base finishing and edges on this ski and wifes new FX96W are best I have ever seen from Kastle. So some folks worried about new skis and Q/C might appreciate that. Looks like Kastle is spending extra time/$ on prep.

Update again when I have a few days on them ideally one ful day on hardpack and another in deeper pow.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
@ski otter 2 : It is hard to tell, as I do not have much experience with the MX98. MX99 does feel quite different from the FX95HP, it is hard to describe.FX95HP is quite stable and quiet, MX99 is a whole another level above. I am sure the carbon contributes to this feeling somewhat.
I spent 2 seasons on the FX95hp and owned an MX98 at the same time now own an MX99 with one epic day on it in good but variable conditions.
The FX95hp IMHO doesnt pocess the refinement of either the MX98 or MX99 and its flex and rebound that make me say that. It's a great ski but the MX98/99 pocess a degree of flex and rebound consisetncy that puts them at another level in snowfeel and sensations. It may be a fuction of the lack of rocker/contact length as well but the mid section of the FX is less dynamic. The shape of the FX95 is so predicatble in junk snow but in cut up crud and powder I can ski the MX99 much faster with more confidence. They may take more commitment/ a better driver but the 184 MX99 has about 30% more top end than the 181 Fx95. Skiing at Whistler I regularily hit the limit of what I was comfortable skiing on the 181 - the MX99 at the same speed is cool as a cucumber. The FX95 in 189 is likely almost even but I found it less accessible and a lot more work at lower speeds. The 184 MX99 is more adaptable. Alexn has more time on the 99 than I do so will have better insights.

BTW I think an MX74 - FX106 combo would be my choice for a 2 ski Kastle quiver, maybe swapping out FX106 for the MX99 if you live somewhere with less snow or just thrive on more power and traditional feel. I also think a few reviewers are under selling the FX106 hp groomer/carving chops, the things rail and are very quick. Waiting for the Alpine to open has never been so much fun on a 100+ ski...

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
To chime in, I just spent a good number of days at Squaw, mostly on the MX99. I tried to take out my 189 FX95HP a couple of times and the next day I was back on the MX99. They are just more fun (especially on groomers) and more rewarding everywhere else. I have the same experience as ChrisJ- this things make you ski 30 faster than you are used to with no discernible loss of stability (and hopefully control). They bulldoze crud, quiet the chop and rail groomers. And at 100 mm underfoot they even float a bit. The smaller length makes them almost as maneuverable as the 189 FX95HPs, even in decent bumps. The only exception was big, hard, icy bumps with steep drop-offs where you just cannot do a round carved line and the MX99 is too heavy (for my legs and skills at least to do a fast zipper line). I would be a lot more comfortable in that terrain on a soft double rockered ski that cushions the tip and tail impacts, but that ski would really suck everywhere else. FX95HP sucks in those bumps as well (any wide-ish 189 cm ski does). And groomers, oh my god, it is GS race ski stability with barely 40% of the effort. Needless to say I continue to love the MX99 and will likely end up selling the FX95HP.

1000-Oaks

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone mount the FX95HP back a bit? On hard snow you have to drive from the heel to maintain a solid carve; if you get on the front of the ski it releases at the tail and the tips plow due to all the tip rocker. Thinking a mount at -1 or -1.5cm would allow you to drive the ski from the ball of foot without getting forward of the sweet spot on hard snow.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Anyone mount the FX95HP back a bit? On hard snow you have to drive from the heel to maintain a solid carve; if you get on the front of the ski it releases at the tail and the tips plow due to all the tip rocker. Thinking a mount at -1 or -1.5cm would allow you to drive the ski from the ball of foot without getting forward of the sweet spot on hard snow.
It's a 5 point design and is what it is. The tip is never going to actively engage on hard snow like the MX series.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Skied my MX99 in mostly good snow for the past few days. Still a great ride. When you can ski a steep un-groomed chalky packed snow run (Funnel at Squaw) and feel like you are on a groomer, you know you are riding something special.

MX99 is an oddball in the MX series as it is noticeably softer-flexing than the MX89. That flex and a smidge of tip rocker makes it a lot more versatile, but for some reason it carves almost as well. You can race gates on MX89, I would not do that on the MX99. but it does shine everywhere else. The only downside is that it is heavy and your legs feel that after 2 pm.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Skied my MX99 in mostly good snow for the past few days. Still a great ride. When you can ski a steep un-groomed chalky packed snow run (Funnel at Squaw) and feel like you are on a groomer, you know you are riding something special.

MX99 is an oddball in the MX series as it is noticeably softer-flexing than the MX89. That flex and a smidge of tip rocker makes it a lot more versatile, but for some reason it carves almost as well. You can race gates on MX89, I would not do that on the MX99. but it does shine everywhere else. The only downside is that it is heavy and your legs feel that after 2 pm.

Curious if you've skied the mantras(m5 or 102) before and how the mx99 compares in regards to stability/dampening/speed/edge to edge? Both are the ‘charger’ type ski.

Chris

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve skied the M5, but not the Mx99. Skied the 88, 83, 84, 74? I think when it first came out.
Totally different feels.
i can’t remember any great feel feedback from the M5. Just a ski. Kind of like the Bonafide in the nothing special dept feel wise. Just adequate.
Not everyone likes the MX skis. I tend to think that if you enjoy the feel of race skis you’ll like an MX.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I have not skied the M5, but I highly doubt it will be anything close to the MX99. The construction is different, there are no miracles. The snow feel and damping of the M5 will be just like my Bonafides (allowed for some differences in shape and flex), and there isa. world of difference going from a Bonafide to a (old) Kastle. As it should be going from an $800 MSRP ski to an $1,399 MSRP ski. The only skis with comparable level of damping are Stocklis. Which incidentally also have rubber dampers inside :) . Its an expensive construction.

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
I'm considering adding the MX99 to my quiver to replace an aging 2019 Bonafide in a 180 length. I currently have the MX89 in a 180 length which I feel is the right length and boy, I love this ski! Regarding length on the MX99, I feel the 176 is too short but 184 seems a little to long. I'm 5'8" but weigh 210 pounds, an advanced skier, and live in Utah. Any recommendations on the 184 length for my profile? Also, do you feel the MX99 is different enough from the MX89 to justify both? I certainly feel the difference between Bonafides and the MX89 are justified, but not so sure if the MX99 would be?

Sponsor

Staff online