• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Kastle MX99 184cm

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Curious if you've skied the mantras(m5 or 102) before and how the mx99 compares in regards to stability/dampening/speed/edge to edge? Both are the ‘charger’ type ski.

Chris

I've never skied the MX99 but I did very seriously consider it instead of a Mantra 102 before purchasing the Mantra 102. Blister's feedback was the biggest difference is that the MX99 is much more optimized for 2-D snow and carving vs. the wider envelope of the Mantra 102 across use cases. One of the really impressive things about the Mantra 102, after a year of owning it, is that it's very "loose" and easy to pivot when you want it to be while also being able to rail hard pack remarkably well. That said, I suspect the MX is better on edge.

I also think @James and @Alexzn are almost surely correct that the feel of the Volkl is not going to be as smooth as the Kastle. The tradeoff for me (and why I have mostly stopped buying Kastles) is that the shape is so optimized for carving that it has tended to increase degree of difficulty for other activities. This may matter if one is not the "best skier on the mountain" and/or borderline incompetent at park skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online