• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Kastle MX99 184cm

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
This is a ski that I really wanted to get on. A bit of history: I am a huge fan of Kastle MX line and the only reason why I never owned the MX88/89 was that I fall solidly between sizes. MX98 was always on my mind, but the thought of a stout ski with two layers of metal and 28m (!) sidecut was troubling enough to not pull the trigger. This year Kastle brought the MX98 back from the dead, added a full layer of vibration-dampening carbon to the ski and some minuscule “marketing” early rise, dropped the sidecut to a more humane 22m and rechristened it the MX99. Hmmm… . So, earlier this year, I happened to be in Aspen and found a 184 cm demo pair at Miller Sports, which is a big Kastle dealer in Aspen. I actually happened to rent the ski from no other but Ted Davenport (Chris Davenport’s brother) who showed me his personal 184 MX99 and told me that while he loves his brother’s pro model (the FX95HP), he now skis only that MX99. Given that I seem to have at least 20 lb on Ted I felt fairly reassured. (Spoiler alert- Ted Davenport is a former world class professional freerider, so to say I got a false sense of security is a huge understatement).

Quick description of the ski geometry- it is a Kastle MX, so a straightforward sandwich sidewall construction, a fairly traditional tip with a large Hollowtech cutout, smidge of early rise, and not a lot of taper. Unlike the other Kastle the hollow tech hole is not transparent, but is covered with the carbon fiber sheet. The other hallmark of the MX series if the full meaty tail, it is there. The flex is medium-stiff, with the tail being a bit stiffer than the shovel. Like all Kastle the flex is very even and smooth.

Skiing groomers: this ski rips, plain and simple. If you have ever been on a race ski, this is exactly how these boards feel, the tail has tons of energy, the tip is happy to dive into a turn (if you make it do it, more to that in a second), the edge hold is phenomenal. It’s a Kastle MX. The caveat is that like a race ski you need to stay on the tip and make it turn. The sweet spot is, ahem, not very large.

Off-piste. My first experience was a total disaster, I got dragged into some side country gates terrain with deep gloppy snow in the trees. So, no problem, get some speed, stay centered on a ski, try to turn… NOPE!!! That freight train was definitely leaving me behind. So after some cursing and momentary soul searching, I remembered about how shin pressure helps to turn race skis. After that things went way smoother. 100 mm width and a humanly flexible shovel does turn those skis, you just need to stay on those tips no matter where and how you ski. What is remarkable is how if you do it, the terrain seems to disappear under you, the stability is off the chart, so if you are able to pilot those skis around, the ride is very smooth. To my surprise I noticed that I was able to carve fairly nasty Aspen bumps and not get bucked around (the caveat was that I needed about twice the typical hipline-type space). The damp rise does help in bumps, although you definitely notice the tail getting hung up on the moguls, something that I rarely see with todays skis that have tail rocker, rounded tails, etc.

It is not a monster ski, however, I was fairly nervous on high speed traverse cataract in the trees, but I was able to scrub speed, switch directions, and stop whenever I wanted (just remember to stay forward:)

So, who is this ski for? It’s a groomer crusher that can and will eagerly roam all over the mountain and would compleltely dominate the mountain on the feel of a very skilled skier. It is really a “ski me if you can” type of ski. If you can drive it, the ride is priceless. If you cannot, that ski will take you for a ride.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Assuming skis were mounted on boot center mark? Sounds intriguing, especially with a 1-2 cm forward mount.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Mounted at the center. I would not be screwing around too much with the mount point, if you mount forward, it will be much quicker to turn on a groomer, but it will turn into a submarine in 3D snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skied the MX 89 (180cm) and the MX 99 (184cm) on the same day and preferred the 89, it was just that more versatile. On the same day I also got on a new pair of Bonafide 187's and preferred the Bonafides, they could haul ass and have the edge grip and stability of the MX99's but again, were a bit more versatile and felt great in a wide range of speeds. The MX99's were a hair smoother but its a very small difference. Maybe I have to demo the 99's again.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Love the MX89 but I find the ski a lot of work in pow and bumps. A lot of time for me, just not worth the extra effort, but on groomers, wow! Maybe I'm just not good enough as I just find the MX89 is more effort than it's worth off piste versus a lot of skis I like, but still on my quiver as it's just that good on firm.

Not sure if true, but I heard they might discontinue the MX89 next season.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
So some updates after skiing my own pair on Tahoe for a couple of days. First, my original review was colored from skiing while coming down with a flu, that was why I felt that the ski demanded more power than I had. With a healthier driver, it does shine. I still don't understand how Kastle can make a ski that turns so easy while having do much power under the hood. And there is absolutely no issue with varying turn shapes. Moreover, it's not hard to ski, just ski it properly. It still kicked me for every single technical mistake, you forget to transfer the weight, the outer ski shoots in the air and you are doing your best imitation of Bode Miller balancing on one ski...

I skied groomers on Diamond Peak all morning and it was as much fun as a proper GS ski, just more knee torque due to 100 width. Afternoon soft snow at Squaw was also fun, superbly smooth, going through snow chunks very predictably, registering them but not engaging with them. This ski reminds me a BMW diesel cars: truck like power, sports sedan-like agility. I think I have my new favorite everyday ski.

Fx95HP is still more reliable in junk snow, that shovel is unbeatable in crud. Everywhere else mx99 takes the crown (and they both suck in real powder). Phil maybe right that BMX105HP makes the most sense in their freeride lineup, especially with the MX99 pearly outclassing the fx95HP on hard snow.

Summary:

ogsmile Race ski level power and precision in 100 mm width

:nono: Race ski level forgiveness

Last edited:
TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
OK, it's official, it's the best ski I ever been on. Seems to transform terrain under your feet. Another revelation was how it skis small to medium size bumps, if you don't let the skis fall right into the troughs, it is happy snaking through following that "old school" line, smooth, and solid, almost carving through them. Crushes bad snow, that's of course no surprise. One time a stiff tail saved me when I got thrown backseat Ina very fast run-out, could have been ugly. The tip, despite having almost no rocker or taper does not feel hooky, but engages reliably if you load it and tip it. It does take more care to turn than the FX95, but the ride is significantly more fun. FX is all about relaiabily, MX is all about excitement.

I also thought that it would be a 9-to11 type of ski that's brilliant but tiring, but I can last all day on those and still have fun. And of course it rips groomers, but that's no surprise in an MX. The legend of the old MX98 still lives.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice follow-ups, thanks. I had a 2014 MX98 174 for a few months, and found it surprisingly easy to ski, considering its reputation. I had too many wide skis that I rarely skied so parted with it. Having had many MX's over the years, I never did get on the MX89 or 99, and happy to hear the 99 is your favourite !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the few skis I fall inbetween sizes on, the 176 is too short and the 184 is too long.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A quick update after skiing it in a somewhat fluffy snow this past Sunday. There was a surprising amount of slightly heavy powder in the morning (especially in Silverado) and the ski again surprised me. Not much effort in getting them to plane, really nice spring through the turn, and somehow still very quick to the point that I was not afraid to pint them into the trees at speed. It was crushing the afternoon snow, but that's no surprise. The comment from a person who I was skiing with that afternoon sums it up best: "There is a reason why they charge $1400 for it...". Best. ski. evah... I maybe selling the FX95HPs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Kastle MX's have always been a ski that bely their dimensions, on hard snow they ski narrower than their published widths and deap snow, they feel wider.

The comment from a person who I was skiing with that afternoon sums it up best: "There is a reason why they charge $1400 for it...".
Sounds like one smart cookie. ;)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@Alexzn, what is your height and weight?

I personally wondered who the MX99 was for. I have never tried it, but I always figured at that wide, I would want an easier soft snow oriented ski, and if it was firmer conditions then the MX84 or MX89 would be better. So I have never even been that excited to demo it, and perhaps mistakenly so.
The MX99 has always struck me as made for some tall and 200-plus pounds. Does that fit your description?

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
6 feet, 190 lb. So close but not as big as you imagine. I also ski Tahoe snow which favors wider and stiffer skis. But Kastle MXs always ski much easier than you would imagine based on hand flexing.

I have a friend who is probably 5'11" and heavier than I am, and he is loving his 180 MX89, so the MX series of skis has a pretty wide envelope.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
OK, it's official, it's the best ski I ever been on. Seems to transform terrain under your feet. Another revelation was how it skis small to medium size bumps, if you don't let the skis fall right into the troughs, it is happy snaking through following that "old school" line, smooth, and solid, almost carving through them. Crushes bad snow, that's of course no surprise. One time a stiff tail saved me when I got thrown backseat Ina very fast run-out, could have been ugly. The tip, despite having almost no rocker or taper does not feel hooky, but engages reliably if you load it and tip it. It does take more care to turn than the FX95, but the ride is significantly more fun. FX is all about relaiabily, MX is all about excitement.

I also thought that it would be a 9-to11 type of ski that's brilliant but tiring, but I can last all day on those and still have fun. And of course it rips groomers, but that's no surprise in an MX. The legend of the old MX98 still lives.

Great to see a review on the MX99 and especially since you have time on the Bonafide and FX95hp. I own an MX98, FX95HP and new FX106hp and if I could based on feedback like this sell my MX98 and FX95hp and get an MX99. I love the MX98 but more sidecut and some tip rocker would make it go to 11! The MX98 still has the nicest flex, rebound and construction of any ski I've owned its just that 27m sidecut that makes it less tenable to modern ski technique and civilian speeds. I will ping the rep but I believe their sold out and not in the lineup for 2020 :( That said I will have to find time to post a review but the new FX106HP is bloody fantastic, so much so I have only used by FX95 and MX98 to A to B test against it. Sounds like the SIA demos were railed or left the factory without a base bevel which is a shame. The short answer is FX106HP has 90% of the MX98's top end, is far easier to engage and is the best 100+ groomer / crud ski I've been on. Its almost as easy to ski as the FX95HP and actually prefer the new construction and reduced rocker. Its so versatile I cant really justify owning it and an MX98 and FX95HP. But a quiver without and MX series Kastle?? Probably time to demo and MX84 and try the MX89 again.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Is mx99 discontinued? Hard to believe after only one year in the lineup...of course the market for it is bloody small (but dedicated).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is mx99 discontinued? Hard to believe after only one year in the lineup...of course the market for it is bloody small (but dedicated).
I will double check the catalog but I don't think it is.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Update: I've order an MX99 184 and cant wait for them to arrive! Decided to sell my near mint condition MX98 184 and FX95HP. May post in buy and sell if someone locally (Vancouver BC) doesnt grab them.
Got 10 days in on my FX106HP last season and pleased to see the thumbnail reviewers as stoked as I am with them. They are the most impressive FX/BMX ski Kastle has built

Sponsor

Staff online