• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2019 K2 Super Charger
Dimensions: 126-76-105; tuned at 1°/2°
Radius: 17m@175cm
Size tested: 175 cm
Construction: Carryover/NGT

At the Pugski Mini-Gathering/Private Demo at Mt Rose last week, I was just pulling my Rossi 190/35 FIS Rossi GS skis out of the truck when Tricia comes over and says “Phil would like you to test these K2 Super Chargers.” Really?! I’m just going to make a few fast runs with my Masters athletes who are all on FIS GS skis, and you want me to ski a 175/17m ski?? And even worse you want me to ski a K2!? You know I don’t like K2! (long story but it involves collapsing edges on a K2 Comp in 1976… :()

Oh well, after partaking of the Pugski hospitality and breakfast Mimosas it would be really bad form to refuse. Hmm, they don’t look too bad I guess, seem to have lots of metal, well built, proper sandwich construction, flat tail, not stupid wide @ 76mm. Nice understated graphics so people wont realize I am on a K2. (The 2019 black/white graphics are much more tasteful than the previous green.) Well, I suppose I can make a couple of runs to be polite then I can dump them and get back on a real ski.

So, here goes, hope I can still keep up with my athletes. They feel very slightly slower edge-to-edge than I am used to (in all fairness since I spend most of my time on 65-66 waist FIS skis that is only to be expected!) but not something that >99% of skiers would ever notice – in fact for most skiers this would feel super responsive. They hook up nicely, just roll them up on edge and they go straight into the turn. Hmm, much better than I expected. (Note also the test ski had a conservative 1/2 tune whereas I am more used to a more aggressive .5/3 or .7/3)

Oh well, time to take my life in my hands :eek: and see what happens when I start to really mach it in big GS turns, let's see how soon they wash out. Geez! I am pushing this pretty hard, laying them over and letting it rip …..and the ski is holding on without any problem! No tip chatter, no unnecessary drama and looks like no speed limit…….and my athletes are still struggling to keep up even though I am cranking in a few more turns than usual. This is not at all what I expected!!!! Ok, time to get serious now that I know it is not just a noodle. A few more high-speed runs confirmed that indeed it is very comfortable being driven hard and will take all you give it. For a 17m ski it hangs in there really well even in big 30-35m radius turns and will happily accelerate out of them.

Ok, it passes with flying colors so far, let’s see if that GS performance with 2 layers of metal in the construction makes it more lethargic when I try to crank in some short radius slalom turns. Nope, still works well here, happily goes edge to edge down the fall line in a very tight line. Ok, you have to be kidding me. Are you sure this is a K2???? Doesn’t feel like it……. so much for the two runs and done! That is about 10 runs so far and I am still enjoying them…. how about a couple more runs in more mixed/chopped up snow down Slide side where it is getting softer.? That should catch them out. Well, surprise again, they cut through this stuff pretty well. You know it is a stiffer ski but the tip hangs in and you don’t get bounced about, just drives through it without drama.

Well, who would have guessed it?? Certainly not me! I really do need to put on my shocked face! :eek:This is actually a very good ski.! And it really is a K2! Looks like they have some designers that know how to build a high-performance ski again. I have to say I could happily ski this as a daily driver. It would make a great coaching ski for me as well, plenty of performance, edge grip and also stability when carrying a bundle of gates.

Hmmm, now how about the 182, with a Marker piston plate and comp 20s….:rolleyes:

Skier Stats: ScotsSkier, USSA L200 coach, competitive masters racer, 5’8” ,165 lb
  • Who is it for? Those looking for a good all-around ski that can perform well when you want to drive it hard and fast but that also will not bite back too much if you want to relax. It responds very well to driving the front of the ski but has a wide enough performance envelope that will allow mid-level skiers to start to develop strong carving skills.
  • Who is it not for? While it has decent performance for a ski of this type in softer conditions, if you want to spend all your time off groomers, in the trees, and bumps, this would not be your first choice. Also not a good pick if you are a backseat driver; this ski responds best being driven from the front.
  • Insider tip: Tip it and rip it! This ski responds well to being driven hard and comes back looking for more! (and your buddies will not believe you are on a K2 when you smoke them!)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Boy, I would like to get you on the 125/72/99 18m Speedcharger in the 182cm.:popcorn:

Remember too, the Supercharger you just skied, had a factory tune of 1* and 2*...put a .5* or 1* and 3* on it...even better. :drool::drool:

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Boy, I would like to get you on the 125/72/99 18m Speedcharger in the 182cm.:popcorn:

Remember too, the Supercharger you just skied, had a factory tune of 1* and 2*...put a .5* or 1* and 3* on it...even better. :drool::drool:

Great points Phil. i forgot to add that the test ski was tuned 1/2 (with a very good wax job by @Andy Mink!) whereas i am normally on a .5/3 or .7/3 which would further improve the responsiveness from my perspective!

The Speedcharger specs sound close to a masters or cheater gs ski!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I should apologize for being an evil temptress, but I’m not sorry

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great review @ScotsSkier. I'll have to find a pair to try. I have a soft spot for K2 and would love to see them return to the level of ski they once were. Anyone who skied the Q-series race skis knows what K2 was capable of. Unfortunately, when all production moved from Vashon Island to China, those skis and the knowledge of how to build them disappeared.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The review shows causal readers a few important things about ski reviews:

1. If @ScotsSkier is surprised in a skis performance take note a thoroughly read the review.
  2. Ski reviews don’t get much better or un-biased than this (despite an initial stated prejudices against the brand), sign of a true professional.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great review! I think I just found my second ski. I am curious about the K2 Speed Charger as noted previously. I'll look for reviews. Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great review! I think I just found my second ski. I am curious about the K2 Speed Charger as noted previously. I'll look for reviews. Cheers
The whole collection is good including the Turbo Charger and the mid level Charger.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I should apologize for being an evil temptress, but I’m not sorry

I remembered you mentioned that I should try that ski as well! Next time for sure! From the reviews it sounds like a ski I would like.

Sponsor