• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Formula 1

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I agree. I think technically he didn't leave room but it was just a case of hard racing and I'm glad they didn't penalize him. Shouldn't have penalized Vettel in Canada either ogwink

I think those two incidents are so dissimilar you can't even really compare. I mean for one, Verstappen deliberately pushed Leclerc off the track where Vettel was not in control. In Austria there was copious runoff in all directions, while in Canada it was concrete walls. Also, Verstappen never left the track. I'm glad there was no penalty, but I'd probably be pissed if I was Binotto.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hamilton with fastest lap on hard compound with a pile of laps on it.....seems like Merc has some serious pace in reserve we haven’t seen yet.

Love seeing the Verstappen Leclerc rivalry developing further....

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I hope you guys haven't all given up on F1 because Wow, what a race! Sorry to hear that both Alfas got DQ'ed though.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I couldn't watch it live but saw the results and watched the recording. Unfortunately the DVR cut the recording short with 4 laps to go! :doh: I was looking forward to watching Vettel get up into P2, dammit!

Fun race. I really enjoyed the Mercs having issues. Rain does level the playing field and give Max an advantage. I remember watching him in the rain for the first time a few years ago in Brazil. Everyone else was struggling while he made his way through the field like it was dry.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes it was but great team strategy as well.

I can't wait for the new Formula in 2021.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to see him finally win his first. Vettel holding up Hamilton for a handful of laps probably secured the win. If the race was a few laps longer I think Hamilton would have caught Leclerc.

I don't know what's going on in Seb's head but he's not the same driver anymore. Sad to see.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't know what's going on in Seb's head but he's not the same driver anymore. Sad to see.
Not sure he ever was such driver anyway. He was winning when Red Bull was far more superior car then any other, and when their second driver was on level of beginner (or grandpa). The same second when he got competition inside of team, he left, and never managed to do anything spectacular. Sure Ferrari was anything but great car when he came to Ferrari, but it wasn't when Schumacher came to Ferrari either, yet the difference was, that year or two, after Schumacher came there, Ferrari, or probably better said, Schumacher, started to win. 4 years after Vettel came to Ferrari, car is still suppose to suck, and is suppose not to be able to win.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure he ever was such driver anyway. He was winning when Red Bull was far more superior car then any other, and when their second driver was on level of beginner (or grandpa). The same second when he got competition inside of team, he left, and never managed to do anything spectacular. Sure Ferrari was anything but great car when he came to Ferrari, but it wasn't when Schumacher came to Ferrari either, yet the difference was, that year or two, after Schumacher came there, Ferrari, or probably better said, Schumacher, started to win. 4 years after Vettel came to Ferrari, car is still suppose to suck, and is suppose not to be able to win.

Vettel certainly owes his championships in part to being in a great car but I think the same could be said for Hamilton. Hamilton is a great driver who got into the right car at the right time and has 4 more championships to show for it. Vettel, IMO, fits that same description. I think both are great drivers but where Hamilton stands out, and Vettel fails, is in the mental game. He drove well for Ferrari at the beginning of his time there but as the pressure has mounted over the years he has not fared well. The fact that the car has improved while he has declined only makes it worse.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Today Vettel showed what an unsafe rejoin really looks like. Penalty well deserved. Great race by Leclerc. Pretty much great race all around from lights to checkers.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, Seb. First the unforced driving error and then the idiotic rejoin on the track. He's lucky he didn't get t-boned by someone.

Great drive from Leclerc today and a well deserved win.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seb, you dipshit...

Good race otherwise. Glad to see the Honda powered cars showing signs of life.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, wow, that was something. Kind of amazing how much damage you could have with such a light touch. People get away with way more all the time. Psyched for Sainz to be gifted third today.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Hamilton was too generous. That was racing.
His taking responsibility did Albon no good.