• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fischer_Logo.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 8.53.23 AM.png
Fischer RC4 The Curv DTX
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 16m@171cm
Size tested: 178
Sizes: 157, 164, 171, 178
Design: Carryover

Philpug: The Curv GT is getting the lion’s share of the attention in the Curv collection, but the DTX is the sleeper. At 72 mm underfoot, Fischer’s magnificent construction makes the DTX a real under-the-radar contender. This is a ski that you buy depending on the turn shape you want: if you want shorter turns, go with a size down; if you want it to ski like a GS ski, size up. There are no wrong answers, just more smiles.
  • Who is it for? You want a quick turn but not a full-bore SL ski.
  • Who is it not for? Crudbusters; go with the 80mm Curv GT.
  • Insider tip: Buy according to your desired turn shape.

Carv GT TC.png
Fischer RC4 The Curv GT
Dimensions: 129-80-112
Radius: 16m@175cm
Sizes: 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover/NGT

Philpug: The Curv GT is a carryover from last year; unfortunately, I didn't get to ski it then ... which was my loss. Sure there are other technical skis in the upper 70-80mm range, but what Fischer does with the shape of the Curv sets it apart. The gradual tip shape make the Fischer one of the most versatile in the class. Relax, no problem. Charge, no problem. Float, again, no problem. (Yes, "float" is relative for an 80mm ski).
  • Who is it for? You prefer an explosive ski.
  • Who is it not for? You want to do all the work yourself; the GT is a ski that can do some of the work when asked.
  • Insider tip: You want it all? Get the RC4 The Curv Booster. Even at 74 mm underfoot, it has a higher-quality World Cup base and a race plate that accepts a Freeflex binding.

Drahtguy Kevin: Performance reigns supreme in this groomer-oriented ripper. A responsive tip; outstanding flex, strength, and grip; and a top-notch tail make this ski a pure joy to command. The Curv GT will change turn sizes on a whim whether at speed or not. Kudos, Fischer.
  • Who is it for? Those seeking a ski to up their game that isn’t overly demanding.
  • Who is it not for? Low intermediates won’t get the most out of this ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overlook this versatile ski.

Pro Mtn 86 TC.png
Fischer Pro MTN 86TI
Dimensions: 128-86-116
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175

Ron: I tested the Pro MTN in 175 last SIA and loved it for a fantastic blend of on- and off-piste ability and thought it was one of the most underrated skis. The 86 exudes quality and performance not found at this price point. This year I tested the 182 and found that I liked the longest length even more. The extra few centimeters afforded even more stability and snow contact. Where I felt the tip rocker had too much rise in the 175, I didn't notice it on the 182. I would still encourage Fischer to lower the splay, but if you are on the fence on lengths or typically ski a 178 or longer frontside ski, grab the 182. It just felt even more balanced and capable.
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up looking for a versatile higher level of performance than many of the other mid-80 skis.
  • Who is it not for? Those lacking a solid foundation of skills or those not interested in a more precise ski
  • Insider tip: Fischer approaches Stöckli and especially Kästle quality at a fraction of the price.

UGASkiDawg: What a blast! The Pro MTN 86 has power that is easy to tap; it rips off turns like a pro but does not demand too much of the rider. This ski is an amazing combo of serious and fun: it has serious grip yet still will have fun slashing and dancing if you prefer. If I were looking for a one-ski quiver, it would be right at the top of my demo list.
  • Who is it for? People who like to ski anything, anywhere, anytime.
  • Who is it not for? Snowboarders.
  • Insider tip: Bring these along and fun will happen, no matter what conditions you run into.

19 Fischer PM95.png
Fischer Pro MTN 95TI
Dimensions: 137-95-122
Radius: 18m@178cm
Sizes: 170, 178, 186
Size tested: 178

Philpug: The Pro MTN collection is one of those that, when it comes up in discussion, is usually followed by an, “Oh yeah, I forgot about them, they’re FUN.” Sad but true, we forget about these -- which is a shame, because you are getting a premium level of quality in these skis that you are not getting too many other places. Just look at the finish of the skis, they are bordering on jewel-like. Look at the topsheets and the beveling and the laser cutouts of the aluminum under the binding area. Look at the base finish. Fischer just goes the extra distance.

Past how they look, Fischers have a unique feel on the snow. With their progressive tip rise and sidecut that runs past the running surface, you are getting a nontraditional on-snow feel that you rarely find in this category. These skis are super easy into the turn yet hold throughout the entire turn.
  • Who is it for? Those who don’t want to have to earn every turn but still want power on demand.
  • Who is it not for? Tip drivers. Relax, dude.
  • Insider tip: You will be tempted to size up because of the tip design, but there is no need; these ski true to length.

19 Fischer Ranger 102.png
Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Dimensions: 136-102-126
Radius: 18m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 184
Design: All New

Drahtguy Kevin: This new ski for 2019 offers intermediate and above skiers a versatile off-piste ride that is surfy, slarvy, and stable. The Ranger 102 feels somewhat vague and slow to initiate turns on groomers until some speed is gained.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting a ride around 100mm who spend most of the day off the groomed.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer zoomers and lollygaggers.
  • Insider tip: A demo binding may be the ticket to find the right setting to get the most out of this ski.

Women

My Carv TC.png
Fischer My Curv RC4
Dimensions: 121-68-102
Radius: 13m@164cm
Sizes: 150, 157, 164, 171
Size tested: 164

Tricia: This is a ski that I was eager to try again. Fischer has delivered on its promise to build a performance carving ski for women. Tip initiation is on par with a race ski, and edge hold is unbelievably good. When I asked what kind of tune they put on these for this demo, they said .75°/2° ... no doubt this ski has a tune desired by carving junkies, a shape that wants to turn, and construction that follows suit.
  • Who is it for? A female skier looking for a high-performance carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes to relax.
  • Insider tip: Dialing back the tune to 1°/2° may make it a little more compliant for a recreational skier.

My Mtn 86 TC.png
Fischer My Pro MTN 86
Dimensions: 127-86-114
Radius: 15m@161cm
Sizes: 147, 154, 161, 168
Size tested: 168
Design: All New

Tricia: Much like its predecessor the Koa, Fisher’s My ProMTN 86 is nimble, stable, and just plain fun, making a great transition from groomers to moguls. The area that it surprised me most was when I encountered some spring-like crud and the Fischer blew right through it. While it's not a carving ski, edge hold was good when I took it into some scraped-off areas.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a good all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? A woman who doesn’t like to have fun.
  • Insider tip: For a little more off-piste orientation, look at the Fischer Ranger.

Last edited by a moderator:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got a pair of 184 Ranger 102 FR's, just debating where exactly I want to mount the bindings. On recommended or follow some of the suggestions in the Blister review about pushing it forward a a bit to +2 or +4 to make it a bit more playful. I'm trending to going with +2 but also wondering if I am over thinking it and the ski will be just fine one recommended.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got a pair of 184 Ranger 102 FR's, just debating where exactly I want to mount the bindings. On recommended or follow some of the suggestions in the Blister review about pushing it forward a a bit to +2 or +4 to make it a bit more playful. I'm trending to going with +2 but also wondering if I am over thinking it and the ski will be just fine one recommended.
Paging @epic to the Pugski Courtesy Phone.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I answered my own question when I finally placed all my skis next to each other. My 185 enforcer 100s reccomended line is a full 2.5cm forward of the reccomend line of the 184 Ranger 102. The 184 Black Diamond Boundary pro 107 is maybe 8mm back from the Enforcers line, but still forward of of the Ranger 102. I'm gonna mount the Ranger 102 at +2.5 since I really like how the other two skis ride and all three skis have very similar contact points and shapes. The picture has the metal ruler on the Enforcer 100s line, the true bar is sitting on the reccomend line for the Ranger 102, and you can see the line on the BD Boundary 107s
20180912_145211.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I skied mine on the line all of last season. Some other people I know were significantly ahead of the line. When we gt our big storm last year (skiing in 4' of new snow) I felt like I was way too far forward on them. Every other day I thought they were just right. Since it was only the one day that I didn't like where they were, I would recommend skiing on the line. I'm gonna get a pair of 115s for the big days. I honestly don't understand how those guys ski them mounted so far forward except that I know they spend a lot of time in the park.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied mine on the line all of last season. Some other people I know were significantly ahead of the line. When we gt our big storm last year (skiing in 4' of new snow) I felt like I was way too far forward on them. Every other day I thought they were just right. Since it was only the one day that I didn't like where they were, I would recommend skiing on the line. I'm gonna get a pair of 115s for the big days. I honestly don't understand how those guys ski them mounted so far forward except that I know they spend a lot of time in the park.

Appreciate the insight, It confirms what I wanted to know about mounting. I mounted them at +2.5 as it seemed to look about right to me compared to my other skis. It actually surprised me to see that the Enforcer was farther forward than the Ranger 102, I skied the Enforcers for 3 years and loved it but it always felt like it was a very directional ski and had too much tip infront of me whenever I was in the air. That was not really the feeling I want to replicate with the Ranger 102s, I wanted to have something a bit lighter and balanced in the air. Not that I do tricks or anything beyond straight airs.. but still I want something that doesn't feel like its pulling me in any particular direction.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I finally got to ski my Ranger 102s last weekend, I concur that they are a very playful ski and also quite stable and light feeling for their size. I liken them to my Nordica Enforcer 100s in terms of handling and feel. So if you like the Enforcers but want something just a bit more playful, get the Ranger 102s! These skis are absolutely everything I wanted from them.

Re:Mounting point, mine is 2.5cm forward the line and at no time did I feel like I should have put it on the line. I'm a pretty traditional directional skier and this works for me.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
I'm a Fischer fan guy and have the ProMtn 86 and the Ranger 108 (180cm). I'm an advancing advanced skier 59, 5'10", 180lbs, ski most places. I'm based in NZ so a lot of hard (hard) pack with some little wet freshies thrown in the mix. I've been to Japan a few times hence the 108. I'm hoping to go to Canada this March and was thinking of swapping the 108 for the 102 FRs. I can get a good deal on this ski and this would give me a better two-ski quiver for NZ. Just wondering about sizing, I'm thinking probably the 184 but then some reviews talk about the stiffness of the ski and if I go back to Japan with tight trees wondering if I would be better on the 177? Does the 184 ski short due to the twin tip or is it true to length?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The 177 (I thought I remembered it being a 179?) skis really well. I'm a bit bigger than you and went with the 184, but having skied both, I could be happy with the smaller one. Not so sure I'd choose it for skiing Japan over the 108, but I've never been to Japan and you have. I feel like the 108 would be better balanced in deep pow - that's what Japan is all about, right?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
6' and 220# and I'm on the 184 102FR. I feel that it skis pretty true to size and would think that the 177 would serve you better. Despite that, the 184 has felt surprisingly nimble and able to do multiple turn shapes and has stayed stable on our thin early season snowpack. I have not had a chance to take it into anything deeper than about 3 inches except for a couple random turns in unpacked stuff on the very edges. With that tiny amount of information, I think it will float a bit more than the 102 waist leads you to believe. That said, I still would rather have a bigger ski for actual powder skiing.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
No need to get a 102, I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and I would choose the 108 as my backside/trees/deep snow ski for western Canada.
Thanks I'm going in late March and was thinking less chance of new snow? Hope to be wrong. After riding the ProMtn 86s most of the season here whenever I got on the 108s they felt a bit too planky and so was thinking the 102s would be a bit more versatile for all conditions. I changed my binding set up on the 108s to a frame binding and it feels like that has 'deadened' them a bit, they've lost some of their snappiness. Is that likely? Or it could be just that I'm so used to the quickness of the 86s that the 108 now feels a lot more cumbersome than previously?
Was thinking of maybe taking the 86s over and just hiring if it dumped. Appreciate everyones opinions, you can see how confused I am. Cheers

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After skiing my 102FR's all season at +2.5cm on the mount.. I've come to the conclusion that while it is incredibly nimble and a joy to ski there, there is usually at least one moment every day where I can really feel the stiff tail and how long it is, I can also feel that the ski is turning under the rear half of my foot no matter where my balance is in relation to the ski. I'm going to remount my pivots on the line this week and ski them as they were engineered, Fischer defiantly knew what they were doing with that mount point.. Even with the +2.5 the ski has been everything I wanted it to be, its basically a more nimble, floatier, and "funner" Enforcer 100.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone who's familiar with both the Curv GT and Head Rally.

I tried a pair of Rally last Australian winter and found them great on our hard, early morning pistes, but not so happy once the snow started to soften and chop up into little piles of crud.

Phil's comments ref Crudbusters suggest that the Curv GT's may be well suited to the conditions I typically encounter here. The ideal Australian front side ski needs to be able to cut tracks in bulletproof hardpack, but not have tips that are susceptible to grabbing in crud.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone who's familiar with both the Curv GT and Head Rally.

I tried a pair of Rally last Australian winter and found them great on our hard, early morning pistes, but not so happy once the snow started to soften and chop up into little piles of crud.

Phil's comments ref Crudbusters suggest that the Curv GT's may be well suited to the conditions I typically encounter here. The ideal Australian front side ski needs to be able to cut tracks in bulletproof hardpack, but not have tips that are susceptible to grabbing in crud.

I think the new Fischer 86 GT whatever might fit your desired description. @Erik Timmerman might have more info to offer, but I believe it's primarily a carver with a bit of extra early rise for bump, crud, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Winks
    Something has gone terribly wrong
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January