• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would like to demo these skis, but that can't happen until next season, and I'll miss the sales. I have not skied an Enforcer, but assume you mean the 100 for a fresh snow ski. From what I've read, both of these seem to fit the type of playful ski for fresh snow and inevitable crud with a bit of backbone for the larger fellow.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At his size, I agree. Depending on what's "below" it in his quiver, @Marker might even consider the rare 198 cm Ranger 115 (which I believe is actually 118 wide in that length).

Well, I've found the Ranger 115 XTi in 196 cm for a good price. Actually found it earlier this year, but was not prepared to buy at that time. Checking the ski size calculators on various websites, this ski seems to be right in my wheel house being that I'm 6'6" and 230 lb. Still, it seems a big step up for me to ski soft snow/powder at Killington and eastern resorts. I suppose it would travel with me to the west if I every get a chance to take that trip. Am I overthinking this or buying too much ski? I've already got my carvers and all-mountain skis at 183 and 186 cm. Biggest ski I've every demoed was 188 cm Ranger 88.

Oh yeah, the ankle has healed just fine. I've been working out and feel ready for another great ski season!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I overthinking this or buying too much ski? I've already got my carvers and all-mountain skis at 183 and 186 cm. Biggest ski I've every demoed was 188 cm Ranger 88.

Tough call. These days, that is a HUGE ski length, but 20 years ago, it was kind of short!

Perhaps @epic has an opinion. He seems to know the Fischer line very well.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As other options, the 115 and 108 are available in 188 cm. You just don't see skis like this at the demo days I've attended in the Poconos.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
You're a big boy, so it seems like the 195 would be a good ski for you. I'll just say this though, the Fischer athletes call the 195 "The Truth" - in reference to Jack Nicholson as in "You can't handle the truth". It really is made for guys that get paid to drop Alaskan faces from helis. Only one way to find out if it is the right ski for you.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You're a big boy, so it seems like the 195 would be a good ski for you. I'll just say this though, the Fischer athletes call the 195 "The Truth" - in reference to Jack Nicholson as in "You can't handle the truth". It really is made for guys that get paid to drop Alaskan faces from helis. Only one way to find out if it is the right ski for you.
Yes, I saw that reference to Jack in another thread talking about the 115, and it gave me pause. But in my defense, I've been skiing some stiff skis in the Elan 88XTi in 186 cm for the last three years and the Hero Elite LT in 183. I use Lange RS130 boots in 30.5 (hard to find as well), but would not rate myself advanced, probably level 6 on the scale of 9 is an honest assessment. I thought the low turn radius for the 115 was right for big dumps at east coast resorts. Do you think the 188 cm will provide enough float or should I look for a softer 190+ ski?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I think the 188 will have all the float you could ask for.
@Marker - As a 6’ 250# daily Killington skier I have settled into what I call a slightly shorter Western quiver. As a general rule sizing down from the longest length works well at big Eastern mountains like ours. Eric is spot on with the 188 length. Always want a length that puts me my comfort zone out of the gate ready to float the Cascade Headwall on a powder day. Catch up with me in the fall if you would like to borrow my Faction Dictator 3.0s in a 182 length. A great big guy ski in my personal opinion.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Marker - As a 6’ 250# daily Killington skier I have settled into what I call a slightly shorter Western quiver. As a general rule sizing down from the longest length works well at big Eastern mountains like ours. Eric is spot on with the 188 length. Always want a length that puts me my comfort zone out of the gate ready to float the Cascade Headwall on a powder day. Catch up with me in the fall if you would like to borrow my Faction Dictator 3.0s in a 182 length. A great big guy ski in my personal opinion.
I'm leaning towards the Ranger 115 in 188 cm, because I've liked every Fischer I've demoed even if I went in a different direction for that spot in the quiver. I've found that I like stiff skis and hate the feeling of one washing out on me in a turn. It is hard to demo skis in my size in the Poconos, but hope to do better at Killington if I can every be there for their demo day in December. You know, with work and life and all. I did pull the string on some 2018 Rossi Sky HD for my wife for her powder skis, who is not a Clydesdale like myself. I had to decide on sizing up or down, and for her went down like you said, although they are probably longer than what many women currently ski as she grew up in skinny long ski era. I look forward to skiing with you this season!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Late to the party but I concur with @Tom K. that something in the Enforcer line might appeal to you. I am six foot seven 263 lbs and own the 93s in 193. Really like them and find them very versatile. I demoed the 110s late season in UT and found them very easy to ski and supportive in late season pow ( 10 inches) and crud after the goods were skied out. Stiff enough but easy to turn. Good luck

Sponsor

Staff online