• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Below is the new Ranger 102 that showed up at my house yesterday. These are 184s and are part of Fischer's Ranger Freeride line, the other being the 115 that came out last year. I got to try a pair of these skis last spring in prototype form. I haven't skied my new ones yet, but I really was impressed by the 179s I tried last year. I was impressed enough to sell both my Helldorados and my Patrons. I only had half a day on the 179s while I was helping out with a PSIA "Trees and Steeps" clinic at Stowe. The snow we had was crazy dense April snow, not wet, but the kind that hisses as you ski through it and really grabs your skis. The best snowball snow you could ever have. I skied the rest of the clinic on my 186 Motive 95s. The difference between the two skis was night and day with the Motives requiring all the thigh strength that I have to be able to steer them in the deep snow (OK, I only sank in a few inches, but it sure felt deep!) and the Rangers being so easy to ski. It made the difference between "I'm not sure this is really safe to do" and "try to wipe this smile off my face". The snow was so dense that we ended up skiing on trail more in order to not wreck anybody, and the skis really shined there. They made short turns that they shouldn't be able to make. However they do it, Fischer has matched the rocker profile and the skis shape in a way that makes the rocker hide on hard snow but feel rockered in soft snow. This ski has more rocker than the other Ranger skis, especially in the tail. I think this is going to be the perfect woods ski for New England. Just got the 184s mounted yesterday and waiting for it to snow.

IMG_1517.JPG

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Successor to the Ranger 98?

I need to get on a pair in that series. They're intriguing to handle in the shop: light but stiff feeling, with quite a lot of rise. Unless that's changed.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
98 actually still stays in the line and the 108 too. They're different. I demoed the 98 for a couple of days this year and it is really fun, if I didn't know that the 102 was coming I would have bough a pair.

Maybe I should have weighed them, they are mounted now with Attack 13s.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where did you mount them, in relation to the factory line?

Any chance of snapping a profile (rocker) shot? Curious how they compare to my 115s, which I'm loving.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I mounted mine right on the line. I thought I had a profile shot, guess not, but I'll get one. Really need some snow, I've only skied them twice so far.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mounted mine right on the line. I thought I had a profile shot, guess not, but I'll get one. Really need some snow, I've only skied them twice so far.

I mounted my 115 Rangers at ~-1.

For me at least, these skis have some serious magic. More after I have a few more days on them.

But at this point, I'm already scheming to replace my nearly-new Enforcer 100s with a pair of Ranger 102s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 102 is next years ski, I am not sure if there is an early release of them but if anyone can secure a pair it is @SkiEssentials. We skied these at Mammoth and will ahve a review coming soon.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking forward to your review, Phil; having just committed to a pair of 2018 SR95s, it's not. like I neeeeeeed another pair of pretty and fun skis, but I'm definitely thinking ahead :margarita::Teleb::martini:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
98 actually still stays in the line and the 108 too. They're different. I demoed the 98 for a couple of days this year and it is really fun, if I didn't know that the 102 was coming I would have bough a pair..

Can you or Phil explain "different"? There will actually be a Ranger 98 and a Ranger 102? Huh????

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
The 102 is next years ski, I am not sure if there is an early release of them but if anyone can secure a pair it is @SkiEssentials. We skied these at Mammoth and will ahve a review coming soon.

I've seen a few pairs come through the office, but I don't believe we are getting any early release pairs to sell. Not 100% sure, I will double check.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Will the 102 come in a longer length than 184? At 6'6", 225 lb, would the 98 or 102 work better? I've been eyeballing the 98 in 188 cm as an eastern fresh snow and crud ski. I don't expect to "float":roflmao:

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Will the 102 come in a longer length than 184? At 6'6", 225 lb, would the 98 or 102 work better? I've been eyeballing the 98 in 188 cm as an eastern fresh snow and crud ski. I don't expect to "float":roflmao:

Just checked the catalog, 184 cm is the longest. It's also a twin tip, so will have a slightly shorter effective edge than the directional Rangers. I would say 188 cm Ranger 98 is probably a more appropriate ski and length, unless you're looking for that twin tip shape specifically.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

I think you should ask @SkiEssentials if they can get you a pair of the 202cm Ranger 108s from Fischer (if there are any left).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you should ask @SkiEssentials if they can get you a pair of the 202cm Ranger 108s from Fischer (if there are any left).

At his size, I agree. Depending on what's "below" it in his quiver, @Marker might even consider the rare 198 cm Ranger 115 (which I believe is actually 118 wide in that length).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@epic @Tom K. I ski Elan Amphibio 88 XTi's in 186 cm and Rossi Hero Elite LT Ti's in 183 cm with Lange RS130 boots. However, I'm not an advanced skier, but I've found these work well for me to deal with my size. So much longer than 190 cm seems excessive for my typical eastern conditions and I'm not sure I want to go much beyond 100 mm in width. I was lucky enough to catch some 6-9" snow falls over Christmas week at Killington that had me ankle-shin deep on the Elan's and getting a bit of that surfy feeling. So much fun! And my wife said those magical words "maybe you're right about getting some powder skis..." Unfortunately, I broke my fibula at my right ankle about a month ago, so my season is toast, and I'm looking forward to this purchase (and her's) for next year. I'll be looking at the deals over the summer. This post about the Ranger caught my attention because I demoed a previous season's model in 88 a few years ago and just had a blast slashing them around in soft snow compared to my more carving oriented skis.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@epic @Tom K. I ski Elan Amphibio 88 XTi's in 186 cm and Rossi Hero Elite LT Ti's in 183 cm with Lange RS130 boots. However, I'm not an advanced skier, but I've found these work well for me to deal with my size. So much longer than 190 cm seems excessive for my typical eastern conditions and I'm not sure I want to go much beyond 100 mm in width. I was lucky enough to catch some 6-9" snow falls over Christmas week at Killington that had me ankle-shin deep on the Elan's and getting a bit of that surfy feeling. So much fun! And my wife said those magical words "maybe you're right about getting some powder skis..." Unfortunately, I broke my fibula at my right ankle about a month ago, so my season is toast, and I'm looking forward to this purchase (and her's) for next year. I'll be looking at the deals over the summer. This post about the Ranger caught my attention because I demoed a previous season's model in 88 a few years ago and just had a blast slashing them around in soft snow compared to my more carving oriented skis.

Not new and exciting, but everything I read here points me towards recommending that you add the Nordica Enforcer to your list. Everybody's got them, and they haven't changed, but they keep making people happy and slaying many comparison tests, so maybe why fight the trend?

I finally snagged a pair this season, with more than a bit of skepticism, and I have to say that the more I ski them, the more I ski them, if you get my drift.

They have a rep for skiing better when mounted behind the line. Of course some disagree, but I could not agree more. I've ended up at -1.5 cm and it made a big happy difference to me (an admittedly older, classic-style skier).

Best wishes on that leg. Enjoy surfing the spring/summer sales!

Sponsor

Staff online