• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
full

SLX Fusion ELX12.png
Elan SLX SL
Dimensions: 121-68-104
Radius: 14/12m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 160, 165, 170
Size tested: 165
Design: Carryover/NGT

Drahtguy Kevin: (From last year) A dual-radius ski (14/12m) with tons of personality, the Elan SLX was super easy to turn with energy to burn in about any shape you want. The carbon plate underfoot combined with the metal ridge starting near the tip quiet the ski and smooth the tummy-tickling ride. Elan has a winner in this 68mm wide ripper.
  • Who is it for? People who like to turn right and left or left and right.
  • Who is it not for? Straightliners.
  • Insider tip: This ski loves to be on edge.

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 6.31.29 PM.png
Elan Amphibio Black
Dimensions: 121-73-104
Radius: 15.7m@172cm
Size tested: 172
Sizes: 166, 172, 178
Design: All New

Philpug: This black beauty certainly has a different feel than the other skis in the segment. Elan’s 4D design is technology that you can feel, especially in the way the metal is laid up. On the forebody of the ski, the metal is convex over a milled wood core; on the latter half, the metal is concave. This design gives a feel unlike the other skis ... and I like it. There is a smoothness and snap that makes the Elan just zing down the hill.
  • Who is it for? A-gamers; this is a rocket.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers can get bucked.
  • Insider tip: The Amphibio rocker profile, although minimal on this ski, needs some attention when being tuned.

Amphibio 16 TI2 F ELX 12.0.png
Elan Amphibio 16 Ti2 Fusion
Dimensions: 121-73-104
Radius: 15.7m@172 cm
Sizes: 160, 166, 172, 178
Size tested: 172
Design: Carryover

UGASkiDawg: (From last year) Since we (and I’m using the royal we, here) were testing frontside skis and I was walking past the Elan tent, I decided, What the hell let’s grab an Elan. I don’t know much about frontside skis other than race skis, and what I know about those is basically two things: 1. Wow, they are expensive, and 2. My daughters have an endless appetite for them. When I asked the Elan guy what I should grab, he gave me some long spiel about the Amphibio and 4D blah, blah, blah something or another. I just wanted to get out and ski, so off I went on the Amphibio 16. I’m glad I did because this ski was fun and forgiving, but if you wanted to carve trenches, you could. It was an easier ride than the Redsters but almost as much fun. It was much easier to change the turn shape and more user friendly but with less pure power and concurrent edgehold. I don’t see Elans in every shop, but they aren’t as hard to find as Stöcklis, so I may try these skis next year early season to see if a whole day on them changes anything because the marketing materials promising the sun, moon, stars, and the whole galaxy make me want to doubt my opinion.
  • Who is it for? If you are looking for a fun, serious-ish, ripping groomer ski, check this one out.
  • Who is it not for? People who ski on the inside edge of the inside ski.
  • Insider tip: It’s a sexy-looking ski, so make sure your outfit matches; stand on the outside ski, and hold on for the ride.

Ripstick 86.png
Elan Ripstick 86
Dimensions: 128-87-108
Radius: 17.6m@176cm
Sizes: 168, 176, 184
Size tested: 176
Design: All New

Philpug: (From last year) When we skied the Ripsticks last year, we were a bit divided on how they performed. This year Elan added a model to the collection, the 86. It will go up against some pretty nice skis and hold its own, especially at an aggressive $499 MAP price point. The ski is playful yet held pretty darn well on the firm morning corduroy at Snowbasin.
  • Who is it for? Budget-conscious skiers who don’t want to give up performance.
  • Who is it not for? Like most price-point skis, stronger skiers can overpower it.
  • Insider tip: The Amphibio design can be felt; make sure you keep the left-right design straight, especially in firm conditions.

Ripstick 96.png
Elan Ripstick 96
Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Sizes: 167, 174, 181, 189
Sizes tested: 181, 189
Design: New Construction

Ron: (from last year) I gave the Ripstick my award for coolest graphics. I really wanted to like this ski, and maybe in the longer length I might have, but with its large tip reminiscent of early rocker incarnations, it was unstable at the slightest hint of a ripple on the snow. I tried skiing it in different styles in off-piste conditions and bumps, but to no avail. On the groomed, it performed best when skied very centered and staying off the tips, but I am not sure who needs a 96mm ski for just groomers. I am curious to hear feedback from lightweight skiers or those who tested the longer length.
  • Who is it for? Perhaps some lighter-weight skiers may have a different experience?
  • Who is it not for? Demo first and draw your own conclusions.
  • Insider tip: Maybe try a different length?

Ripstick 106.png
Elan Ripstick 106
Dimensions: 140-106-122
Radius: 18.1m@181cm
Sizes: 167, 174 181, 189
Size tested: 181
Design: New Construction

Drahtguy Kevin: (from last year) The Ripsticks make cruising fun with their easy turn initiation and energetic feel. Both skis were extremely quick edge to edge. The skis have no metal and react like it when push comes to shove in crud and moguls. I found the tips a bit soft for my larger-than-average size and aggressive nature.
  • Who are they for? Weekend warriors and those skiing a few days a season who like to cruise groomers and dabble off piste.
  • Who are they not for? Heavier, hard chargers.
  • Insider tip: Ski these from the middle of your foot and don't drive 'em too hard

FairToMiddlin: (from last year) Elan’s rec SL gets a three-step program for success. You can see what’s coming just by looking at the topsheet: a relatively thin and soft tip, followed by a stepped increase (near the snow "contact" point) in thickness as sheets of Titanal beef up the ski. Finally, instead of the race plate you would see in a World Cup SL, an integral full-width slab of carbon sits atop the Titanal to let you know there is some real horsepower under the hood. Weirdly, they finish it off with a non-horsepowery 12 DIN binding that left me scratching my head a little, but it didn’t spoil the fun.

The Fun.

There is a lot of that in this ski. Every year, there seems to be a "come play with me" ski that stands out (which has proved to be expensive for me in the past), and this year, particularly among the skis under 80mm, this is it. If the stepped-thickness technique was an attempt to make an aggressive shape accessible, then this is a great example of accessibility done right. For all the power this thing has, all the immediacy of response to tipping on edge, it is oh-so-intuitive to decide how much of that power gets used. Feedback is immediate, but not brutal: it is delivered with a Coke and a smile, not a … whatever the opposite of a Coke and a smile is.
  • Who is it for? Skilled folks that want a big grin, not a big workout.
  • Who is it not for? The heavy and aggressive. With the 12 DIN binding on board, you may run out of retention as you dial in the Gs.
  • Insider tip: No great mystery to reveal here; click in and let the good times roll.

Women

Ripstick 94W.png
Elan Ripstick 94W
Dimensions: 136-94-111
Radius: 16m@170cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170
Design: Carryover/NGT

Tricia: (from last year) Elan’s promise of a fun ski to charge off piste was met with much anticipation. I really enjoyed this ski in moguls and when playing around in the soft fresh snow. I only wish I had a chance to really push its limits: there was definitely a lot of feedback, which is something I don't usually like, but this was still a fun ski.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful off-piste option.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a calm ski.
  • Insider tip: If you like a damp ski, this isn't the one.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
In the course of your travels, did any of the testers get on to the Ripstick 96 Black Edition? I'm curious if there is any real difference between that and the stock 96.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did anyone ski the GSX? I own this ski (from 2 seasons ago) and it is fantastic. While not a true GS ski, it is fast and playful at the same time. It is relatively soft, so has more versatility and a friendly feel. I also own the SLX and I may like the GSX better.

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
The 2017 mode
Did anyone ski the GSX? I own this ski (from 2 seasons ago) and it is fantastic. While not a true GS ski, it is fast and playful at the same time. It is relatively soft, so has more versatility and a friendly feel. I also own the SLX and I may like the GSX better.

The GSX you're on is the last year that Elan had the Amphibio profile on their cheater race skis. The 2018-onwards models are more conventional, but I dare say, I like them better that way! Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but they feel more stable at higher speeds. My daily is the SLX but I'm at a smaller hill where a GS ski doesn't make as much sense...

Grizzly777

Booting up
Skier
I am curious if Ripstick 96 Black Edition it is holding up to heavier/bigger skiers a little better on top end stability with weight north of 200 lbs? I found one recent Youtube video from 2019 Powder Buyer's Guide review of someone pushing a 96 Ripstick Black Edition pretty good and appears to be at decent pace but not sure of the guys size.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am curious if Ripstick 96 Black Edition it is holding up to heavier/bigger skiers a little better on top end stability with weight north of 200 lbs? I found one recent Youtube video from 2019 Powder Buyer's Guide review of someone pushing a 96 Ripstick Black Edition pretty good and appears to be at decent pace but not sure of the guys size.
I am not sure how I missed the RipStick 96 Black. It is stronger than the regular Ripstick and as Elan says, they added another gear and that is enough for a 200 plus pounder. But with that said, this is still a ski that is on the finesse side of the scale. There is a lightness to the ski that makes it playful and workable.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I am not sure how I missed the RipStick 96 Black. It is stronger than the regular Ripstick and as Elan says, they added another gear and that is enough for a 200 plus pounder. But with that said, this is still a ski that is on the finesse side of the scale. There is a lightness to the ski that makes it playful and workable.

Ditton on Phi's observation of the RipStick 96 being on the finesse side of the scale with a lightness and playful feel.
More observations on the Blackened RipStick 96 mentioned over HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2017 mode

The GSX you're on is the last year that Elan had the Amphibio profile on their cheater race skis. The 2018-onwards models are more conventional, but I dare say, I like them better that way! Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but they feel more stable at higher speeds. My daily is the SLX but I'm at a smaller hill where a GS ski doesn't make as much sense...

I bought mine as a new old stock, so the price was too good to pass up and I didn’t care about the Amphibious profile, and the softer feel is probably better for me. I found the GSX to be surprisingly versatile and very quick edge to edge, even on shorter turns. I haven’t been on this year’s....just see it in my shop...it is a good looking ski that I am afraid some who could really enjoy it will overlook.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
I recently bought the FIS SLX Plate ski and I was curious if someone could tell me about the difference of the World Cup ski to the SLK Fusion?

Thanks for your help.

Neal

palmettoski

Booting up
Skier
Wingman MAYBE the one ski quiver. I had use of a pair of 178, Cti skis for the season. With Power Rail bindings set 8-to-12mm behind stock and a degree more side edge bevel I let'm rip. Any turn shape and any non-race speed is possible. A light ski that does not chatter. FUN! Last run my 33 year old son verbally challenged me by telling me that I was skiing pretty good for a 50 year old (I'm 69 and have skied 61 seasons). W had a completely clear run to the bottom. I took great delight in watching him finish his last turn, on his race stock GS skis, while standing at the bottom of the run. I took even greater delight in the first gulp of beer HE BOUGHT having lost the race.
Wingman is a truly fun and versatile ski.

Proskilab

Booting up
Skier
Wingman MAYBE the one ski quiver. I had use of a pair of 178, Cti skis for the season. With Power Rail bindings set 8-to-12mm behind stock and a degree more side edge bevel I let'm rip. Any turn shape and any non-race speed is possible. A light ski that does not chatter. FUN! Last run my 33 year old son verbally challenged me by telling me that I was skiing pretty good for a 50 year old (I'm 69 and have skied 61 seasons). W had a completely clear run to the bottom. I took great delight in watching him finish his last turn, on his race stock GS skis, while standing at the bottom of the run. I took even greater delight in the first gulp of beer HE BOUGHT having lost the race.
Wingman is a truly fun and versatile ski.

I totally agree. I have tried the ski in Meribel (France) in January this year. I loved the ski and think that it fits perfectly what we call the "All Mountain 70% piste 30 % freeride" category in France and what you call the "all-mountain east/front" in the US . Definitely a one ski quiver for most people. The ski was later on selected for the 2020 Proskilab reviews and has been awarded a "Best ski" medal for the category. It's a ski that I would definitely buy and I have no doubt that it will have a successful career.

Proskilab

Booting up
Skier

As a 85kg/170lb skier I would not regard this ski stiff enough for a AM ski, sufficiently able in all conditions, including hardpack on piste. The ski feels stiffer than the regular version (which is a very pleasing ski by the way, but on the soft side), but not enough to be at the top level of the category. I personaly feel that the ski lacks precision and grip on piste. No problem off-piste where it inherits from the great qualities of its brother. It depends on how you ski, but I would not recommend it for a heavy and agressive skier on piste. Instead would rather recommend a stronger ski like a Mantra, Stormrider or Enforcer.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I totally agree. I have tried the ski in Meribel (France) in January this year. I loved the ski and think that it fits perfectly what we call the "All Mountain 70% piste 30 % freeride" category in France and what you call the "all-mountain east/front" in the US . Definitely a one ski quiver for most people. The ski was later on selected for the 2020 Proskilab reviews and has been awarded a "Best ski" medal for the category. It's a ski that I would definitely buy and I have no doubt that it will have a successful career.
Do you participate in the Proskilab reviews process? Based on your screen name I might hazard a guess! I always look these up as another source of low-biased ski reviews. A little cross-pond fertilization between Pugski and Proskilab?

Proskilab

Booting up
Skier
@Marker Good guess. :) I organize the "Proskilab" ski reviews in France and mentioned it to Phil a few months ago, when registering. I do not quite understand what a "cross-pound fertilization" could be but if your question is about partnership, there is nothing in mind at the moment.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Marker Good guess. :) I organize the "Proskilab" ski reviews in France and mentioned it to Phil a few months ago, when registering. I do not quite understand what a "cross-pound fertilization" could be but if your question is about partnership, there is nothing in mind at the moment.
Sometimes English or Americans refer to the Atlantic as "the pond", so cross-pond fertilization was just a bad joke about cooperation between US Pugski and European Proskilab (English, French, ...?).

Considering that it is D-Day, good to remember successful cross-pond cooperation between the US, English, French, Canadians, etc.!

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
What are the best Elan's for east coast (icy) skiing?

I‘m in NH and the Wingman 86 CTi is fantastic. I’ve had it on groomers, spring slush, sugar, ice and in moguls. Everyone I know skiing them loves them.

I use them for coaching sometimes too, but tend to use my Elan SL race skis for that. Mostly because it’s easier to do stupid human tricks on them. Depends on what I have to demo.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid