• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What are the best Elan's for east coast (icy) skiing?
If the 86s are a bit too wide, there is the Wingman 82. A bit different shape more geared towards groomers. Super fun and easy.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I‘m in NH and the Wingman 86 CTi is fantastic. I’ve had it on groomers, spring slush, sugar, ice and in moguls. Everyone I know skiing them loves them.

I use them for coaching sometimes too, but tend to use my Elan SL race skis for that. Mostly because it’s easier to do stupid human tricks on them. Depends on what I have to demo.
I have an older pair of Elan Amphibio 88 XTi in 186 cm that are showing their age. Based on reading their reviews, I have the Wingman 86 CTi on the short list for demo next season, but wondered if you thought it would be enough ski for my size. I'm 6'6" and 225 lb, and ski at an intermediate-advanced level. I have carving and powder skis, so looking for that unicorn all mtn ski with mogul chops.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
If the 86s are a bit too wide, there is the Wingman 82. A bit different shape more geared towards groomers. Super fun and easy.

Originally had the 82CTi and liked it but they were a little longer than I prefer. I was hesitant at getting the 86 and the first run really made me question it, but that was because I went from my SL WC to the CTi and the real estate at the waist threw me off at first carving. By the end of the first run I was fine with them. Aside from my telemark skis, I had never been on a ski that wide. I think my SL WC have a waist of 67 or 69 so when I switched the first time the change was almost 20mm.

I'm very happy I went to the 86 and didn’t get the 82CTi in a shorter length. The 82CTi was great but the 86 is better for me and the conditions we have in the afternoons, clumps of crud or sugar and these things blast threw it.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Originally had the 82CTi and liked it but they were a little longer than I prefer. I was hesitant at getting the 86 and the first run really made me question it, but that was because I went from my SL WC to the CTi and the real estate at the waist threw me off at first carving. By the end of the first run I was fine with them. Aside from my telemark skis, I had never been on a ski that wide. I think my SL WC have a waist of 67 or 69 so when I switched the first time the change was almost 20mm.

I'm very happy I went to the 86 and didn’t get the 82CTi in a shorter length. The 82CTi was great but the 86 is better for me and the conditions we have in the afternoons, clumps of crud or sugar and these things blast threw it.
I skied the entire week at the JHMR gathering on the 86s plus several days at Mt. Rose. They do everything really well, from firm groomers to 6-8" of fresh to cut and piled 18" stuff. Throw in bumps and you have a very capable, fun, easy to ski, ski. I really like them.

Last edited:

L&AirC

Skier
I have an older pair of Elan Amphibio 88 XTi in 186 cm that are showing their age. Based on reading their reviews, I have the Wingman 86 CTi on the short list for demo next season, but wondered if you thought it would be enough ski for my size. I'm 6'6" and 225 lb, and ski at an intermediate-advanced level. I have carving and powder skis, so looking for that unicorn all mtn ski with mogul chops.

One of the coaches I work with is 210 and just under 6’. Very powerful skier. He’s on the 178 and loves it. Toyed with getting the longer one but is happy with his choice.

i have an older pair of Amphibios as well and broke them out yesterday because of the thin cover and I didn’t want to mess up the Wingmans. They were fun but made me wish I was on the Wingmans.

in icy conditions my first choice is my SL WC and 2nd is Wingman.

L&AirC

Skier
I skied the entire week at the JHMR gathering on the 86s plus several days at Mt. Rose. They do everything really well, from firm groomers to 6-8" of fresh to cut and piled 18" stuff. Through in bumps and you have a very capable, fun, easy to ski, ski. I really like them.

I did a two day mogul clinic on them. I’m not great in the bumps to start with (why I was there) but found them to be fun. I did have to stay focused though. Not sure if that was the ski, the tune (.5 under foot) or my skill set.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the coaches I work with is 210 and just under 6’. Very powerful skier. He’s on the 178 and loves it. Toyed with getting the longer one but is happy with his choice.

i have an older pair of Amphibios as well and broke them out yesterday because of the thin cover and I didn’t want to mess up the Wingmans. They were fun but made me wish I was on the Wingmans.

in icy conditions my first choice is my SL WC and 2nd is Wingman.
I'll keep my Amphibios as rock skis and have some Rossi Hero Elite LT Ti in 183 cm for firmer conditions.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a two day mogul clinic on them. I’m not great in the bumps to start with (why I was there) but found them to be fun. I did have to stay focused though. Not sure if that was the ski, the tune (.5 under foot) or my skill set.

The Wingman is not an "easy button" ski in firm steep-sided bumps. It's partly the essentially non-tapered tip, partly the brook trout tail, and partly the high torsional stiffness. But all those things are what make it great at carving - on hard smooth snow or in harbor chop. Everything's a trade off.

PS, did I mention that we ran into one of your race kids and his dad at Deer Valley? They led us into one of the Daly Chutes. Nice family.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Wingman is not an "easy button" ski in firm steep-sided bumps. It's partly the essentially non-tapered tip, partly the brook trout tail, and partly the high torsional stiffness. But all those things are what make it great at carving - on hard smooth snow or in harbor chop. Everything's a trade off.

PS, did I mention that we ran into one of your race kids and his dad at Deer Valley? They led us into one of the Daly Chutes. Nice family.
It is also more center mounted, i.e. it has more tail than most directional carving skis. That makes it easier to slip and slide around.

L&AirC

Skier

Nice to know. I guess I can blame my mogul struggles on the skis :cool:

Which family? A bunch headed west this season. Nice family isn't much of a descriptor at Crotched. We're fortunate to have many of them. I know one of the instructors said he was at another resort and was asked if he knew me when someone saw the Crotched team jackets. I coached his son last season. Did he have two sons around 9 & 11?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know one of the instructors said he was at another resort and was asked if he knew me when someone saw the Crotched team jackets. I coached his son last season. Did he have two sons around 9 & 11

Exactly. The one kid, who had you, told me his name but of course I forgot it. I know the dad said they lived in Mass. Anyway, shows that skiing is a small town.

Sponsor

Staff online