• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 8.20.35 AM.png
Two skis from two brands under the same umbrella: one would think they might have some similarities, and they do. But as much as they are similar, they are also quite different.

The Dynastar Legend W84, with its five-point sidecut and two layers of Titanal, is a frontside carving ski with incredible turn initiation and confidence-inspiring edge grip. On the occasions that I've had the pleasure of skiing it, I was impressed with the edge hold; the sidecut might make you think it's more of a playful and less of a carving ski, but it brought a serious side to morning turns and dispelled the myth that a five-point sidecut is reserved for off piste.

The Rossignol Experience 84 AI W will probably be described as the new version of the Rossignol Temptation, but it really is a completely different ski. It has a more forgiving turn radius and construction than its predecessor, and a tighter turn radius than the Legend W84. It initiates a turn nicely, but will inspire you to seek out playful terrain.
  • Why choose the Legend W84? You want a friendly carving ski with solid edge hold as well as off-piste chops.
  • Why choose the Experience 84 Ai W? You are lighter weight and looking for a confidence-building ski that may inspire you to dabble in off-piste exploration.
  • Insider tip: Both skis are offered flat or with system bindings.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That is a GREAT description of what the E84W can do for an aspiring skier. I think they are an overlooked ski by many.
Haven't been on the Legend 84. It's no secret I was not a fan of the 5-point design on the Dynastar Glory's I had for a brief period. I should really get out on a pair again. I have one friend who shreds the whole mountain on them, in everything but the deepest powder.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two very nice women’s skis that deserve more attention, in my opinion.

I’d be tempted to seek out a demo of the men’s Legend, as I like that shape.

@Tricia , does the Legend carve when skied centered, or when driving the tips? The reason I ask is I want to know if that is a characteristic of the 5-point design. My Alchemist Wailer 99’s carve surprisingly well when skied centered. Knowing that, the performance envelope of the ski is amazing. Years ago I demoed a Dynastar Cham and I hated it, but I tried to drive it from the tips. I wonder if I had skied it centered, would I have had a different impression.

If this is the case with the Dynastar, might women be discouraged in a demo, not knowing how to extract the performance from the ski?

And the Rossi looks to be a more intuitive shape which may give it an edge in a demo.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the Legend carves really nicely, especially when driving the tips. This ski is nothing like the Cham, and has a much more grounded personality.

Another cage match I should do is the Legend 96 vs DPS 94

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is a GREAT description of what the E84W can do for an aspiring skier. I think they are an overlooked ski by many.
Haven't been on the Legend 84. It's no secret I was not a fan of the 5-point design on the Dynastar Glory's I had for a brief period. I should really get out on a pair again. I have one friend who shreds the whole mountain on them, in everything but the deepest powder.
I recall you having a bit of a love/hate relationship with 5 point. Perhaps that's just not the design for you. Or perhaps your skiing has grown to a point where you may think differently now. :huh:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
What if any differences (besides top sheets) are there between the Legend W84 and the Legend X84? You didn't list any dimensions for that ski.
I got a pair of the X84's late last season and they are a really nice New England daily driver. Wondering about the differences. I'm sill in the camp that skis only know weight/technique/aggression. So graphics aside what's going on here? Are they simply a X84 Lite? If so they might be good for lighter, less aggressive skiers of either gender... but then there's the top sheets and stigma to get past. Nothing is easy :(

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall you having a bit of a love/hate relationship with 5 point. Perhaps that's just not the design for you. Or perhaps your skiing has grown to a point where you may think differently now. :huh:
After the way I skied this weekend, you might be right. :P

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What if any differences (besides top sheets) are there between the Legend W84 and the Legend X84? You didn't list any dimensions for that ski.
I got a pair of the X84's late last season and they are a really nice New England daily driver. Wondering about the differences. I'm sill in the camp that skis only know weight/technique/aggression. So graphics aside what's going on here? Are they simply a X84 Lite? If so they might be good for lighter, less aggressive skiers of either gender... but then there's the top sheets and stigma to get past. Nothing is easy :(
Thye are the same ski, just a graphic change.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was a fan of the Glorys and the 5-point sidecut, so maybe I should give the Legends a demo.
Absolutely.
If you liked the Glory line, you'll love the Legend.

Snow07

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Two skis from two brands under the same umbrella: one would think they might have some similarities, and they do. But as much as they are similar, they are also quite different.

The Dynastar Legend W84, with its five-point sidecut and two layers of Titanal, is a frontside carving ski with incredible turn initiation and confidence-inspiring edge grip. On the occasions that I've had the pleasure of skiing it, I was impressed with the edge hold; the sidecut might make you think it's more of a playful and less of a carving ski, but it brought a serious side to morning turns and dispelled the myth that a five-point sidecut is reserved for off piste.

The Rossignol Experience 84 AI W will probably be described as the new version of the Rossignol Temptation, but it really is a completely different ski. It has a more forgiving turn radius and construction than its predecessor, and a tighter turn radius than the Legend W84. It initiates a turn nicely, but will inspire you to seek out playful terrain.
  • Why choose the Legend W84? You want a friendly carving ski with solid edge hold as well as off-piste chops.
  • Why choose the Experience 84 Ai W? You are lighter weight and looking for a confidence-building ski that may inspire you to dabble in off-piste exploration.
  • Insider tip: Both skis are offered flat or with system bindings.

Please Help Comparing Women's Skis:
Dynastar Legend w84
Fischer My pro-MT 80 (I don't think this one has Ti)
Atomic Vantage x80 cti
Anything else you recommend not on the list?

Need Best Ski for $ Option
H 5'3 W125 and ski on groomed hardpack black at home every weekend (kids are in ski club). What I really want is a ski that will best allow me to ski what I love in the mountains (Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Kimberly) bowls, glades, groomers, bumps.
Ski Black and Blue - but not chutes, double blacks. We go at least a week every year. Mutiple resorts, sometimes.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia could you compare the Legend 84 W to the Astral 84?
Mrsjmills is on a Santa Ana 93 as a DD and think she could benefit from something narrower and more forgiving for on-piste days with the kids

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia could you compare the Legend 84 W to the Astral 84?
Mrsjmills is on a Santa Ana 93 as a DD and think she could benefit from something narrower and more forgiving for on-piste days with the kids
How did I miss this?
The Astral 84 is more of a smooth supple feel and is more in line with the feel of the SA 93.
The Legend 84 gives al little more feedback.

Does that help?
I think if she likes the Santa Ana, she'll prefer the Astral.
If you can find an Astral 88 from a few years ago (before they brought out the SA 88) She may like that too. I know its close in waist width to the 93, but its performs way more front side specific.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia you teased us in another thread, but did you post anything / review of the Fischer RC One 82 GT that I might have missed ?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia you teased us in another thread, but did you post anything / review of the Fischer RC One 82 GT that I might have missed ?
You are not mistaken.
I did ski it, starting in late March during the gathering.
I have full reviews coming but haven't done a long term version yet. I should. Thanks for inspiring me

GPetes

Booting up
Skier
I ski the Legend X84 2020 version and the 84's do not have metal in them and from what i have been told its the same ski since 2018

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid