• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2019 DPS Cassiar 79 "The Trainer"

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 5'10" and 250+ lbs. I am bigger than most and consider myself to be a pretty good skier. Most of my days are spent at Perfect North Slopes just aoutside Cincinnati in southeast indiana. I had been in the market for a short turn oriented ski and was looking at mostly slalom race skis but the thought of being on something that demanding was a bit of a turn off. When I stopped buying race skis 10 years ago I swore I'd never own another. I was excited when I saw the email from DPS with the details on their new ski. The 12.5 meter seemed to fit the bill for what I wanted and I have loved the DPS skis I've owned in the past. They arrived last week and I was eager to pull them out of the box and put them to use. I had DPS mount a pair of Look Pivot 12s at the time of purchase. The relatively soft flex of the ski did make a bit nervous but I kept reminding myself they aren't race skis.

My first chance was Saturday afternoon while skiing with my 5 year old son. While it it didn't give me a chance to test the performance limits it did give a chance to test the ease of use. They were perfectly happy making slow speed maneuvers on an easy blue run . Sunday morning gave me a chance to really put them use. We are in the middle of freeze thaw cycle and the temps ranged from the upper 30s at the bottom in the morning to near 50 later the in the day. The snow was soft and wet with less than stellar grooming. It didn't take me long to realize its been a long time since I've skied anything with that short of a turn radius. Within few runs I was getting a feel for how they liked to be skied but I also figured out that the plus side of not being a race ski is that they we OK with varying the turn shape and even a bit of "slarving" when needed. The light weight of the ski makes them very easy to toss around and I look forward to skiing them in some bumps and on firmer snow. The only real downside I've found so far is that they are a bit twitchy and nervous if you try to let them run straight, particularly on rough snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What size are you on and how were they tuned?

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought the 167 and they have the factory tune. Depending on how they ski on harder snow I might go to a more agreesive edge angle. The Cassiar 80 Hybrids I had at one point skied beutifully with a 88* edge.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a quick update...these might be the ideal ski for the midwest. I have spent a most of my 11 days so far on these skis and they one of the most fun and versatile skies I've owned. It easily initiates turns at slow speed while skiing with my 6 year old and while still being rewarding when pushed hard regardless of the conditions.

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
I bought the 167 and they have the factory tune. Depending on how they ski on harder snow I might go to a more agreesive edge angle. The Cassiar 80 Hybrids I had at one point skied beutifully with a 88* edge.

I have a pair of the 80 Cassiar Hybrids that are unfortunately nearing the end of their life. My only real criticism is I find them very twitchy when running flat at speed. I wasn't sure if this was due to their light weight or poor tuning (actually, it's a total lack of tuning).

When I saw these new DPS 79's it got me excited. Are they a comparable ski? I see that the 79's are a stiffer Alchemist construction, has this reduced some of the twitchy behaviour at speed

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of the 80 Cassiar Hybrids that are unfortunately nearing the end of their life. My only real criticism is I find them very twitchy when running flat at speed. I wasn't sure if this was due to their light weight or poor tuning (actually, it's a total lack of tuning).

When I saw these new DPS 79's it got me excited. Are they a comparable ski? I see that the 79's are a stiffer Alchemist construction, has this reduced some of the twitchy behaviour at speed
These are designed to turn...turn and turn some more more. They are slalom ski like in length being offered in 160 and 167 lengths. I am happy to say for 2019-20 they are adding a 174 to the size offerings. I think the longer length will solve the issues you are experiencing. I know @Tricia prefers the 167 over the 160, the size recommended for women and I really look forward to getting the 174 in the stable.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think longitudinally they are a fair bit softer than the Hybrid 80's but I've had no issues with edge grip. I was initially worried with how soft they are but I've not had any issues with stability or edge hold.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are designed to turn...turn and turn some more more. They are slalom ski like in length being offered in 160 and 167 lengths. I am happy to say for 2019-20 they are adding a 174 to the size offerings. I think the longer length will solve the issues you are experiencing. I know @Tricia prefers the 167 over the 160, the size recommended for women and I really look forward to getting the 174 in the stable.
We just received our 174's....I can't wait to mount up some Salomon Warden Demos and get these out of snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They sound like a blast!

Preparing to stand by for some first-hand reports.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I took the 174's out yesterday and yeah...to quote Jon Lovitt "That's the ticket". I understand what Stephan was trying to do by offering these in a 160 and 167 but unless the ski is sub 70 underfoot and truly an SL shape, it jsut wasn't going to work. The 174 is more the ticket especially as an all mountain 79mm width. Kudos to the team at DPS for adding this size.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Skied this ski today at Pugski demo, rose in afternoon snow, spring bumps and some groomers.

I love what they are doing, a slalomish ski that is designed to work at slower than race speeds with a more friendly tip/tail design. I loved it!

Just need to get it out in some AM hard snow and see it's something I need to own.

Thx Phil!

Wade

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
After another day on this "trainer", I bought them. More info in the 'rose demo quick hits, but I agree w/ Cameron's impressions, except I did get the 174.

Cheers!
W

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is there any need to play around with boot center position on these, or is everyone happy at the recommended line?

I picked up a used pair (in 167) which need a remount for my BSL, and I’m wondering if I should go with a demo binding or not. The binding options I have available are Pivot 12 (current mount), Warden 13 (non-demo), or Attack2 13 AT demo. I’d prefer not to use the Pivots because I may step down a boot size in the near future and they have a small adjustment range.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any need to play around with boot center position on these, or is everyone happy at the recommended line?

I picked up a used pair (in 167) which need a remount for my BSL, and I’m wondering if I should go with a demo binding or not. The binding options I have available are Pivot 12 (current mount), Warden 13 (non-demo), or Attack2 13 AT demo. I’d prefer not to use the Pivots because I may step down a boot size in the near future and they have a small adjustment range.
Paging @Philpug to the courtesy phone. Were these good on the line?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the line is fine.

Sponsor

Staff online