• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Bike 2019 Cannondale Trigger 3

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Year: 2019
Make: Cannondale
Model: Trigger 3
Size: Med
Weight: 29.8 without pedals, with tubes
Link: Will add when posted.

Yes, I also pulled the Trigger. When Tricia and I got back into riding, we jumped in with both feet. We sold the Miata and took that money to buy some new bikes. After demoing a few available options, she decided she wanted the 2018 Cannondale Trigger 3. By the time she decided that was what she/we wanted, Cannondale was out of mediums and just had smalls left. As luck would have it, BlueZone had a medium in stock but no smalls and had a customer who was looking for a small. So Tricia ordered the small and we swapped it for the medium and everyone was happy.

This still left me without a bike. I could take a demo when I needed but would prefer my own bike. I was riding the Klein 1x7 and, well, it was feeling a bit dated. Cannondale had an early release of the 2019 Triggers (yes @ken you were right) with a color change from orange to red but also a price drop. The price drop did concern me … especially at a time when we are expecting tariffs be be hitting bikes; if anything, they should be going up. In this case, the 2019 Trigger had a change in componentry, going from 11-speed SLX/XT to 12-speed SRAM Eagle NX. The SRAM shift levers are different from the Shimano and I was getting used to the Shimano so the SRAM will be a change for sure. I think I will miss using my pointer finger for upshifting, but I am sure I will get used to it, and the 52T Eagle should climb incredibly.

Tires are also a big difference: where the 2018 had 27.5 x 2.3 front and rear, the 2019 has 27.5 x 2.4 in the back and a 2.5 in the front. Both years are Maxxis (Minion DHF and High Roller II). The one little thing that I thought was odd, the Fox Gemini rear shock switch to set from Flow to Hustle was moved from the left side to the right and the lever is all plastic and not nearly as solid feeling as the 2018. If I am not happy with the new switch, I will see about ordering the older model.

I won’t have time to finish the build until early in the week and at that time, I will be swapping over to tubeless. I do look forward to taking the maiden voyage either up in Truckee or on the new Reno trail that @Andy Mink posted about HERE .

I will report back after the bike is built and how it compares to the outgoing model.
IOGK19xDS8WTmCeeFVSHBA.jpg
DA5swpj%RmSZh0dGydFi4Q.jpg
TMMElAmBRuip9SmVLhACwQ.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I knew it! Great choice. You are going to love it.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Year: 2019
Make: Cannondale
Model: Trigger 3
Size: Med
Weight: 29.8 without pedals, with tubes
Link: Will add when posted.

Yes, I also pulled the Trigger. When Tricia and I got back into riding, we jumped in with both feet. We sold the Miata and took that money to buy some new bikes. After demoing a few available options, she decided she wanted the 2018 Cannondale Trigger 3. By the time she decided that was what she/we wanted, Cannondale was out of mediums and just had smalls left. As luck would have it, BlueZone had a medium in stock but no smalls and had a customer who was looking for a small. So Tricia ordered the small and we swapped it for the medium and everyone was happy.

This still left me without a bike. I could take a demo when I needed but would prefer my own bike. I was riding the Klein 1x7 and, well, it was feeling a bit dated. Cannondale had an early release of the 2019 Triggers (yes @ken you were right) with a color change from orange to red but also a price drop. The price drop did concern me … especially at a time when we are expecting tariffs be be hitting bikes; if anything, they should be going up. In this case, the 2019 Trigger had a change in componentry, going from 11-speed SLX/XT to 12-speed SRAM Eagle NX. The SRAM shift levers are different from the Shimano and I was getting used to the Shimano so the SRAM will be a change for sure. I think I will miss using my pointer finger for upshifting, but I am sure I will get used to it, and the 52T Eagle should climb incredibly.

Tires are also a big difference: where the 2018 had 27.5 x 2.3 front and rear, the 2019 has 27.5 x 2.4 in the back and a 2.5 in the front. Both years are Maxxis (Minion DHF and High Roller II). The one little thing that I thought was odd, the Fox Gemini rear shock switch to set from Flow to Hustle was moved from the left side to the right and the lever is all plastic and not nearly as solid feeling as the 2018. If I am not happy with the new switch, I will see about ordering the older model.

I won’t have time to finish the build until early in the week and at that time, I will be swapping over to tubeless. I do look forward to taking the maiden voyage either up in Truckee or on the new Reno trail that @Andy Mink posted about HERE .

I will report back after the bike is built and how it compares to the outgoing model.
View attachment 52087 View attachment 52088 View attachment 52089
Nice, congrats and can you come over and organize my garage?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice, congrats and can you come over and organize my garage?
You want him to carpet it too?
He was tickled pink when I got a new area rug in the living room so he could use the old one in the man cave section of the garage.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn’t have the tools to run some of the cables so I brought Trigger II to our buddy at Sparks Cycle. Now it is coming home to go tubeless then its maiden voyage tomorrow.
E11B71A1-B54C-4603-A39D-293F12955E73.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Taking her out for her maiden voyage..last time it will be perfectly clean..
IMG_0264.jpg

Handling is about what I expected. It is different getting used to the Sram shifting coming from 30 years of Shimano.
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0268.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking good on that new bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Three cheers for new toys!

You're unlikely to get rear ended with that Cherry Bomb on your hitch rack. I'm a bit jealous. Every bike I own is black (set to change on October 1).

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's awesome, Phil! Glad you two are out there riding again, on sweet new wheels to boot!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a few days in the saddle of the new bike and I have a few things to report back on. First I think I still miss the Shimano shifting but I am getting used to the Sram. It is not so much the gearing but the shifting. I am still used to using my pointer finger to upshift and am trying to switch that muscle memory to using just the thumb. I do like the staggered tire size for better contol with the 2.5" in the front and 2.4" in the back over the 2018 having just 2.3" front and back.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You'll get used to the SRAM. I did. ogsmile It is easier to deal with especially since it's 1x. Only one hand has to learn.

Red is the best color for a bike. Or anything, for that matter.

IMG_20180903_113309820_HDR.jpg

K is contemplating the upgrade to SRAM Eagle. I'd like to but $ is a real consideration. Enjoy!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You'll get used to the SRAM. I did. ogsmile It is easier to deal with especially since it's 1x. Only one hand has to learn.

Red is the best color for a bike. Or anything, for that matter.

View attachment 52693

K is contemplating the upgrade to SRAM Eagle. I'd like to but $ is a real consideration. Enjoy!
The Shimano was a 1x too, but 1x11, the Sram Eagle is 1x12. I did notice the red 2019 to be noticeably faster than the orange 2018 though. ;) .

I will add I do like the Gemini controller better on the left side than the right and I like the 2018 controller better too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So you have a dropper remote and a shock remote on the left?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta love the Runaways, but I'm giving the Cherry Bomb nod to Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Technically a cover of the original, but she did write it.

Both versions rip!

Back to bikes and C'dales in particular. Does anybody else think they would sell twice as many bikes if the just let the whole Lefty thing go?

They still seem to be clinging to it, especially on their higher end models.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For those who may not know about the 'Lefty'...

download.jpg

It's half a fork. It has been around for a while. It must be working. Right?

It must be a bear to get all the functioning of damper, air, etc. into one stanchion.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online