• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
79F54AE6-84C8-4CD4-BF40-11233A667D15.jpeg
766843CD-2752-44F4-99FE-F1D2A2A1C21C.jpeg

Eight.
Thirty-nine slow and flat miles. Pretty day, 81 degrees and breezy.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
So last season, I joined the tubeless tire road bike experience, and, had a most excellent summer and fall with no incidents. Last Friday, I did a first of season 5 mile check ride after my bike sat unused for 5 months, no issues just added air to bring them back to 80 psi. Sunday, got prepped for 12 miles, and, the front tire was totally flat and would not seal. Got my first taste of the sealant mess, and, my 2 small, local bike shops could not do the reseal that day because the mechanics were off. No sign of puncture damage from the first ride. My bad for not preparing for the inevitable total flat by procuring the required tools, including not having a replacement tube. Live and learn! At least it happened at home and not far out on the road.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
@Living Proof - Which Sealant are you using? Have you topped it off this year?

Eric,
I bought my bike from @Ron last season, so, I do not know the specific brand. In hindsight, this winter I should have taken a tire off and bought all the hardware/sealant and had the experience of refitting the wheel. My LBS mechanic reinflated it, so, good to go for this weekend. I also bought a tube.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Eric,
I bought my bike from @Ron last season, so, I do not know the specific brand. In hindsight, this winter I should have taken a tire off and bought all the hardware/sealant and had the experience of refitting the wheel. My LBS mechanic reinflated it, so, good to go for this weekend. I also bought a tube.

It could be as simple as just adding a little more Sealant. I usually top off the Sealant every spring (or as needed) to insure it hasn’t dried out. I just topped off my gravel bike as the sealant had dried out and held air for the first ride, but went flat during the week. I’m sure Ron can tell you which one he used and you can just get some and top it off. It’s an easy thing to do to prevent flats down the road.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I add more sealant every 8 weeks or so, sometimes more in the dry heat of summer. Not sure if that'd be different for a road bike??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I add more sealant every 8 weeks or so, sometimes more in the dry heat of summer. Not sure if that'd be different for a road bike??

It's Philly. The only "dry" heat is connected to a 220V socket. :P

On the 8 week thing, I've heard stories of August sealant being too brittle and leaky in October chills. Not experienced it myself.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's Philly. The only "dry" heat is connected to a 220V socket. :P

On the 8 week thing, I've heard stories of August sealant being too brittle and leaky in October chills. Not experienced it myself.
Having lived in NoVA for 8+ years, yes, I remember humidity!
Anyway, I check my sealant pretty frequently, and ALWAYS at the start of the season when the bike has been sitting all winter.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Thousands of miles on the bike that goes nowhere:( 0 actual outside bike miles:daffy:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
orange sealant. The LBS should have just added 1.5-2 oz in each. if you want to be OCD like me, pop the tire off the rim on one side, clean out any glops first. dont ride it without adding new sealant! In all likelihood, there's none left.

Tubes: unless you are running a latex, please dont tell me.... its such sweet bike, if you're running butyl tubes, you're going make me cry.....:D

Orange sealant, you can add .5 oz to 1 oz per month depending on how much you ride.
https://www.backcountry.com/orange-...7VIfP5naqiB_erdbIDMf8hMmCRh9CKpgaAs2xEALw_wcB

all you ever wanted to know about inner tubes but Latex tubes run so much faster.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cycle-inner-tubes-330000

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
First, apologies to all for diverting a thread about actual riding to deteriorate into sloppy ( pardon the pun ) maintenance by the owner.

I will continue riding on the wider tubeless tires, mostly for comfort as speed at my age is very limited by declining aerobic power plant. Tube is just to get me home in event of a flat.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
wider tires at lower psi roll faster. I dont recall your weight but you are a big guy. At my 167, I run 28's at 75 psi. You might be fine at 80-85.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
wider tires at lower psi roll faster. I dont recall your weight but you are a big guy. At my 167, I run 28's at 75 psi. You might be fine at 80-85.

Great video.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven’t tracked the days but I’ve ridden quite a bit this year. I ride pretty much every weekend day for a bit and a couple of weeknights if I’m home in time. I’m in a pretty rural area and not far from the C & O canal towpath and the OW &D bike path, so I have some good options to ride this morning. I actually just got back from a ride. It poured rain the whole time but it was still great to get out.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
6 days per week of training. 15 - 20 hours per week. Min. of 4 days per week outdoors on the bike through the winter. And some of those rides - like fat bike excursions above 10,000' on groomed snowmobile trails - were sublime.

Yesterday was 4.5 hours in mixed snow and rain. Not feeling it today. Not wanting to feel frozen extremities, wind chill on descents while soaked. 2 hour trail run instead.

IMG-0228.jpg