• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 S - Is this the same boot as the 120 S with a bolt taken out?

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Hey folks. The headline kinda says it all. re: 2019 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 S - Is this the same boot as the 120 S with a bolt taken out? Or are there substantive (e.g. shell tech) differences?

Thanks for any insights.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IIRC a lower quality liner. Oh and make sure there is always at least ONE bolt (along with the hinge bolts) to connect the cuff to the clog.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
IIRC a lower quality liner. Oh and make sure there is always at least ONE bolt (along with the hinge bolts) to connect the cuff to the clog.

Gotcha. But shells are the same AFAYK?

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

pt 2.

Found the catalog. FWIW 110 model comes w/"gold" liner - no memory fit material in tongue is only stated diff from platinum. Photos on official Atomic website show only one rear peg in spine. One hole remains open. So assuming it's between these two factors.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
The 110 uses softer plastics than the 120, has one level lower liner construction, and a smaller 40mm power strap.

Both boots utilize one screw in the Power Shift so they can be slightly stiffened, which gives them a stiffer feel in the beginning of the flex pattern. Adding the second screw will not make the 110 feel exactly like 120 because the 120 has a stiffer lower shell material, which will ski more powerfully and handle choppy conditions better.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
@onenerdykid

Really appreciate the official info on this. Just listened to Matt Manser's July '19 interview on Blister (to all - look it up if you like nerding out on ski boots) and he spoke to the same point: how (at Atomic) flex differentiation is largely in the plastics blend and not just one less peg, smaller strap, and downspec'd liner.

This kind of transparency is super helpful.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid

Really appreciate the official info on this. Just listened to Matt Manser's July '19 interview on Blister (to all - look it up if you like nerding out on ski boots) and he spoke to the same point: how (at Atomic) flex differentiation is largely in the plastics blend and not just one less peg, smaller strap, and downspec'd liner.

This kind of transparency is super helpful.

Glad you liked the podcast! I'm a big fan of him too ;)

There are a lot of things in the ski industry that can easily be cleared up with factual information and ski boot are definitely one such topic.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
@chopchop You do realize that Matt Manser and @onenerdykid are...related, right?

Related--Matt, your Podcasts and posts here and on NS have made me an Atomic Boot fan. I have some Promachine 120 right now--but I trust your product. I have a daughter in some Lange RS90sc--and she needs new boots next year. We'll take a look at the local Redster offerings.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@chopchop You do realize that Matt Manser and @onenerdykid are...related, right?

Related--Matt, your Podcasts and posts here and on NS have made me an Atomic Boot fan. I have some Promachine 120 right now--but I trust your product. I have a daughter in some Lange RS90sc--and she needs new boots next year. We'll take a look at the local Redster offerings.

@ejj Thanks for the kind words and I hope we can get your daughter into some Redsters next year!

Reactions: ejj

Sponsor