• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That actually looks pretty good for an October WROD at Tahoe!

Is it a single track from the top of Wizard? Dragon's Tail -> Spellbound ?

View attachment 82954
It was pretty much what I have outlined in bright red, but Mystic was built up with small park features. That made it nice for those of us who didn't want to duck and hide from jibbers on the edge of the trails.
2019-10-25-MtRoseWizard.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I plan on being at Rose first thing on Sunday if anyone wants to make some turns

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Winter is coming in 3...2...1...
20191027_094643.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Somebody flipped the switch :D
It sure felt like it. Truck said 19, Mt. Rose said 9. I'm willing to bet it was somewhere close to 9. Very chilly!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
PSA for No. CA Skiers looking for some ticket deals for going to TGR and Warren Miller movies follows:

I'm probably going to early TGR movie at SF Palace of Fine Arts tomorrow. Perk is a voucher for 2 of 3 day ticket to Bachelor for $109, not valid holidays. See https://www.tetongravity.com/films/winterland/tour/san-francisco-premiere-of-winterland

I bought $20 ticket today for Warren Miller in Campbell for Sat. 11/16 at Sports Basement where I also tried on some boots. I haven't been to one of WME's movies lately, but this one includes Glenn Plake skiing Mustang Powder where I am signed up for my 5th trip in Feb. 2020. Some clips at (sorry for the ad you can eventually skip) and https://warrenmiller.com/vimeo-video/glen-plake-mustang-powder and it's also very first part of clip at https://warrenmiller.com/

Warren Miller includes a lot of perks including a free Mt Ashland ticket that appears to be unrestricted that @mdskier may be interested in and I may be able to use on my way N in Feb, plus a 2fer for Mt. Rose that is only valid through 12/20 and a 2fer for Squalpine not valid weekends or holidays, but looks like it's good all season otherwise. See https://warrenmiller.com/events/ca for CA shows. Tickets also include discounts for Schweitzer, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Mountain Collective. Eldora, Silverton and 20% off at Sport Basement.

Winter is coming in 3...2...1...
Picture from about 5 post previous left out
It sure felt like it. Truck said 19, Mt. Rose said 9. I'm willing to bet it was somewhere close to 9. Very chilly!
@Andy Mink You run a lot of pressure in your front tires. My 3500 RAM Cummins is single rear wheel and I run about 90 in the rears with camper, but my fronts are only @72 psi. My 19.5" tires are rated 4940 lbs each @120 psi.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink You run a lot of pressure in your front tires. My 3500 RAM Cummins is single rear wheel and I run about 90 in the rears with camper, but my fronts are only @72 psi. My 19.5" tires are rated 4940 lbs each @120 psi.
I run 80psi cold in the front loaded or not, per the sticker on the door. They do go up as soon as they warm up. The rears are at 65 cold because I've been too lazy to put them down to about 45 after towing my 5th wheel. I've the stock tires, 235/80-17.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, here is some data on the pre-season in Mt Rose!

It really is a pre-season feel. A few mild runs open with man-made snow, and most people working on shaking out the rust. I took a ME day, got to see the Pugs, @Andy Mink and @JFB (so glad I got to know him, super cool fella).

Caught early breakfast and I was already in a happy place
rose-1.jpg

The only lifr running, now with RFID, yeah! So much better! Andy was telling me that they opened a little more this weekend. There were four ways to come down (3 in the picture).

rose-2.jpg

The fourth is through the little ramp that most people using the Lodge side funnel into during the season, leading back to the Lodge side chairs.

In the back of the picture you can see Kit Carson Bowl. They have a pretty interesting base, that apparently comes from NW chair, and covers most of the way from there. We are ready for the one big storm that is still not forecast, but the base is there :D

All in all, for anybody looking to get those legs going, and or getting to the mountain, the option is there. It was good!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tahoe getting dry October and November does not look promising so far. Looks like the mid-November openers will all be 100% man-made, as of now.
:crash:
Shhhhh....Goodthoughtsgoodthoughtsgoodthoughts....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, here is some data on the pre-season in Mt Rose!

It really is a pre-season feel. A few mild runs open with man-made snow, and most people working on shaking out the rust. I took a ME day, got to see the Pugs, @Andy Mink and @JFB (so glad I got to know him, super cool fella).

Caught early breakfast and I was already in a happy place
View attachment 83565

The only lifr running, now with RFID, yeah! So much better! Andy was telling me that they opened a little more this weekend. There were four ways to come down (3 in the picture).

View attachment 83566

The fourth is through the little ramp that most people using the Lodge side funnel into during the season, leading back to the Lodge side chairs.

In the back of the picture you can see Kit Carson Bowl. They have a pretty interesting base, that apparently comes from NW chair, and covers most of the way from there. We are ready for the one big storm that is still not forecast, but the base is there :D

All in all, for anybody looking to get those legs going, and or getting to the mountain, the option is there. It was good!
It was great running into you. (not literally but...)
Chairlift shot with @Philpug, @JFB, @Andy Mink, @Mendieta
DF57D162-2A6E-44BD-8978-35A520EB4266.jpeg

375F76A9-5285-416A-A6C4-84A195ED1B39.jpeg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since it hasn't been freezing at night for several days now, I'll be bringing my spring corn skis with me tomorrow for Rose.
If you see an old fart on freewheel bindings with a white POC helmet, say hi!

ps
No free Manhattans - I learned my lesson last year.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Since it hasn't been freezing at night for several days now, I'll be bringing my spring corn skis with me tomorrow for Rose.

ps
Ah, nothing says "I drink what I like and don't give a damn what the bartender with the James Harden beard, waxed mustache, manbun, and tight t-shirt says" like a Manhattan.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was looking at my winter photo album from last year and see that we're sitting in pretty much the same situation at the moment.
October 2, 2018
056F8590-B0C1-4939-BD8F-D6ADE2AF21CA.jpeg

November 9th, 2018
124EBFEF-DD5A-417E-BF1F-20F0F877A324.jpeg

November 16, Opening day Alpine Meadows
AF836ABB-B76D-4071-A40B-D1997BD761A1.jpeg

Same day at Squaw Valley
D36CDAFA-0FFE-4F31-B2C5-9B566EFF0F91.jpeg

And magically, November 22, 2018 at Mt Rose
C90B3AC6-DA7C-4BC2-A089-8FD7C000776B.jpeg B1057AC2-64A6-4D05-A516-BE259D1D8AF7.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

ps

I'll be missing it again, but perhaps @Philpug can do the honors.
This is where Phil learned about Ba-Da Bing cherries. Now he's hooked.
We also need to get a new shot of this grouping with the Pugski.com Govino glasses.
Photos October 19, 2018
5149CB31-6629-4675-B185-FC3EF95984A9.jpeg 13A331D0-3E10-48F0-A221-22B62807EDF2.jpeg B1A19F78-9CE7-4548-95BC-85501A9E349D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid