• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Warren Miller includes a lot of perks including a free Mt Ashland ticket that appears to be unrestricted that @mdskier may be interested in and I may be able to use on my way N in Feb, plus a 2fer for Mt. Rose that is only valid through 12/20 and a 2fer for Squalpine not valid weekends or holidays, but looks like it's good all season otherwise. See https://warrenmiller.com/events/ca for CA shows. Tickets also include discounts for Schweitzer, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Mountain Collective. Eldora, Silverton and 20% off at Sport Basement.
Belated reply to this Oct 28 post:
Some of us of a certain age, self included, get to ski Mt Ashland for Free. Missed out after Whistler as they are closed early in the week.
That said, I'll likely see the WM movie somewhere soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019/11/10/north-american-winter-outlook-2019-20/

My final North American winter outlook is now available.
Unfortunately California is set to have a largely below average season, per my forecast. It won’t be absolutely abysmal though, with potentially improving conditions later in the season. This is owing to the current base-state that has not been pleasant to California in recent months. Might have to be a case of needing patience for snowfall.

Nothing worthy of note in the medium term either, sorry.
Sadly, if that happens I'll drive to SLC for some early season turns. Done that before.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did the Squalpine thing this morning. Kangaroo was open at Alpine and had good coverage. Definitely a crispy surface accentuated by the bumpy seams where the groomer had worked. As it warmed up and the crowd, which wasn't huge, skied the surface started to turn to sugar. I imagine it softened up some more after I left.
20191115_114114.jpg
Some nice Squalpine swag for the early birds

20191115_081210.jpg
My spot in line

20191115_093612.jpg
Looking up Kangaroo

After about 8 runs on Kangaroo I headed over to Squaw to do a few laps on Pioneer. I'm counting my two runs as skiing at Squaw on opening day.:roflmao:
20191115_102733.jpg
Busting trail to the lift

20191115_103924.jpg
Too to bottom coverage

It's all in good fun and it's better than places like Florida get all year!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Snuck over to Alpine for a bit this afternoon. Quiet for the most part. Was getting pretty bumped up with some wonky groomer ruts by mid afternoon which made it a little interesting. Better than I expected..

A bit of a pattern change going into next week should bring down nighttime temps and possibly some precip into the equation. Hopefully that knocks out the inversions which have had the upper mountains roughly 8-10° warmer than the base at night for the last 2 weeks. Nothing to worry about as of yet since it seems like in the trend has us with more seasons past Memorial Day than natural snow to kick things off. First few weeks of December are key!

The roo around 2
image.jpeg image.jpeg

*Some good tracking links

NOAA readings SV 6200/8,000/8700 & AM (ward)
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/sqwhic.php

Squalpine 7 yr snow tracker
https://squawalpine.com/skiing-ridi...ms/squaw-valley-snowfall-tracker/?tab=ui-id-7

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sitting at the top of kangaroo at Alpine... After walking up. Lift maintenance until at least 10.
At least it's a pretty short walk.:D

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019/11/10/north-american-winter-outlook-2019-20/

My final North American winter outlook is now available.
Unfortunately California is set to have a largely below average season, per my forecast. It won’t be absolutely abysmal though, with potentially improving conditions later in the season. This is owing to the current base-state that has not been pleasant to California in recent months. Might have to be a case of needing patience for snowfall.

Nothing worthy of note in the medium term either, sorry.
Thanks for that. Its pretty much what we expected.
I'm sure we'll get plenty of turns in and enjoy them all. :toast

Somewhat better. I got California right last year IIRC.

Yeah, I remember. I think it looked a little better last year but not much.

View attachment 84451
I forgot that @Andy Mink and I had an appearance. I remembered you, though.

I did the Squalpine thing this morning. Kangaroo was open at Alpine and had good coverage. Definitely a crispy surface accentuated by the bumpy seams where the groomer had worked. As it warmed up and the crowd, which wasn't huge, skied the surface started to turn to sugar. I imagine it softened up some more after I left.
View attachment 84585
Some nice Squalpine swag for the early birds

View attachment 84586
My spot in line

View attachment 84587
Looking up Kangaroo

After about 8 runs on Kangaroo I headed over to Squaw to do a few laps on Pioneer. I'm counting my two runs as skiing at Squaw on opening day.:roflmao:
View attachment 84588
Busting trail to the lift

View attachment 84589
Too to bottom coverage

It's all in good fun and it's better than places like Florida get all year!
Sorry I missed it.Had fun hitting it with you last year.

Just got an email from Smooth Rides - new location at the Truckee Save Mart shopping center and partnership with Blue Zone. New times too- 7am-6pm, 7 days a week.
Very convenient! Any more details @Philpug ? Maybe some PugSki discount?
Smooth Rides is indeed open two doors down from Blue Zone. The tunes will be done as they always have been but the details are not quite clear to us yet. Will report back when we know more

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like Mt. Rose was sneaking in some snow making. Kit Carson Bowl is covered from the top though it gets narrow. Now they need to get snow to the lift. This week should be the ticket with colder weather coming.
20191117_102046.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It looks like Mt. Rose was sneaking in some snow making. Kit Carson Bowl is covered from the top though it gets narrow. Now they need to get snow to the lift. This week should be the ticket with colder weather coming.
View attachment 84703

A little snowfall on Tuesday might do it? Hoping for it! From BA:

Tuesday we have increasing clouds and wind as a storm moves in. We could see some light showers later in the afternoon. Tuesday night we could see some light rain and snow with snow levels lowering to around 7,000 feet. Wednesday the light showers could continue. We could see a coating up to a few inches of snow above 7k.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
This week's snow is favoring the East side. Mt. Rose looking to pick up the most.
Rose may have highest prediction for N Tahoe, but Heavenly is predicted to get more. Source is also OpenSnow. Sorry that format is not the same.
Heavenly.png

And Mammoth is predicted to get a little more. Probably not enough to open more unless it over-delivers, but should cover the gravel I found in some place last week and colder temps will help snowmaking.
Mammoth.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online