• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A day late but...

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Under Partner Resorts at https://www.sugarbowl.com/seasonpass - their bolding
"Powder Alliance Discontinued: We're committed to offering the best possible experience to our own passholders and those who purchase a lift ticket at Sugar Bowl. Unfortunately, far too many passholders from other resorts were taking advantage of Sugar Bowl’s iconic terrain, meanwhile very few Sugar Bowl passholders have utilized the Powder Alliance benefits. For this reason, we have decided to discontinue the Powder Alliance program so that we can stay focused on providing an exceptional experience for our paid guests. We are currently discussing partnerships with several resorts of similar size and quality of Sugar Bowl including new partnerships with Powder Mountain, UT, Schweitzer, ID, Silverton, CO and Whitefish, MT. We are actively working to negotiate other programs with resorts and hope to have new partnerships to announce prior to the start of the season. "
Ready to write a letter of disappointment to Sugar Bowl. since they're off Powder Alliance this perk is missing so they should lower their season pass rates. I don't see the logic of their complaints. as PA is a lower tier pass program with no other resorts except Sierra Tahoe anywhere near Tahoe and PA only allows 3 days at each ski area.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A day late but...
Most complete article yet on the destroyed Squaw tram car descending with passengers on board on 4/15/78
I was aware of much of this incident but this really fills in the details.

Alex Cushing really took it personally..
"Cushing also hired an independent investigator, Dr. Karl Bittner, a professor at the University of Graz from Linz, Austria, considered the foremost expert in the world in tramway design.
‘Professor Bittner could find no hard evidence as to the cause of the accident"
Nor could others. Bittner come up with changes to improve safety.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
RIP lakeside inn -- every year we hit there for the prime rib dinner. Always a great experience. They are also one of the only places in Tahoe to carry my favorite brew.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ready to write a letter of disappointment to Sugar Bowl. since they're off Powder Alliance this perk is missing so they should lower their season pass rates. I don't see the logic of their complaints. as PA is a lower tier pass program with no other resorts except Sierra Tahoe anywhere near Tahoe and PA only allows 3 days at each ski area.
I got an email from powder Mountain yesterday saying that they had formed a partnership with sugar bowl and Schweitzer. I assume it goes both ways.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Pretty significant update from Ikon:
  • Regardless of when you purchased your Ikon Pass, you can choose to defer the value of your 20/21 Ikon Pass to a 21/22 Ikon Pass. Contact us between September 10 - December 10, 2020 to defer your pass to the following season.
  • There is no fee to defer your pass to winter 21/22

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty significant update from Ikon:
  • Regardless of when you purchased your Ikon Pass, you can choose to defer the value of your 20/21 Ikon Pass to a 21/22 Ikon Pass. Contact us between September 10 - December 10, 2020 to defer your pass to the following season.
  • There is no fee to defer your pass to winter 21/22

Wow. So then you’d be gambling that your resort of choice is still on the pass or not sold by Alterra before the 2021/22 season...I definitely want to see the fine print on this one!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. So then you’d be gambling that your resort of choice is still on the pass or not sold by Alterra before the 2021/22 season...I definitely want to see the fine print on this one!
Good point.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't think of that!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Or they may pick up a few more.
Seen them do that after I bought the pass the last two seasons.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe, but I just don't think that Alterra is going to sell Squaw or Alpine at any point soon.
But they could drop affiliate resorts. That would put a crimp in traveling to ski.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not good when they pull out the rug after you buy a pass.

A good example is Northstar changed their main parking lot to pay parking
after selling Tahoe Local passes.
At least 2 lawsuits now.
One person just won in court.
2 lawyers from NV have a pending suit. They'll likely win also.

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mt Baldy in socal is reopening. Perhaps they will be a model for how to get a mountain open that Alterra can use as precedent. This does change the odds of having a season next year. Thank you Mt Baldy!

Eric

Wow. Impressed by the moxie and the seemingly solid attempt to comply with best practices.

The emerging wisdom is that UV kills this bug dead quick, and that transmission in the open outdoors is rare, which together suggest that skiing -- the activity of skiing -- is actually fairly safe.

The problem is indoors, with recirculated (dry) air, with communal spaces, with close proximity. So lodges, lodging, restaurants, bars, shops, would still seem quite dangerous. I note the Mt. Baldy website says no food or other lodge services will be available going forward. (Link: https://winter.mtbaldyresort.com/covid-19-guidlines/)

Problem is, that's how Alterra and Vail and the big boys make their money. With pass prices so low, running the ski lifts is basically a loss leader for all the other things they sell.

So while I would love love love to be proven wrong, I suspect it'll be a million billion gazillion years before Squaw turns on the chairs without also being able to turn on everything else they sell, too. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.