• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm able to resist the urge to travel for earned turns for now, but when Spring Corn starts to ripen I may weaken.

I’ve been staying away from photos, or at least the weather outside where I am is sufficiently distracting me from the idea of snow or even corn in the mountains. Of course, once it starts raining this weekend, I’ll be all “Rain here = snow in the mountains...” It’s tough. I had such a great spring last year. Milestones: skied National at Squaw for the first time, Memorial Day powder day and one of my best skis down Hogsback, skied every weekend in June, bike/skied Lassen for the first time, skied on Sonora Pass for the first time....

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Interestingly, I was supposed to take the Avy 1 class through ASI (out of the Backcountry shop) this weekend, and a week ago, I had emailed them about postponing to later in April - when I thought shelter-in-place would end on April 7. Now that date is May 3. But I got an email from them today saying provided I have my own gear, I could do the outside portion of the class April 11-12, April 18-19, or April 25-26. I wrote them back and said I'd like to defer until next season. I'm trying to be a good citizen and not spend time in the mountains, and here's a small business that wants me to come. Hard to say no, but I know it's the right thing to do.

I have been running outside in my neighborhood in the mornings, just to stay sane. At 7am, it's pretty quiet along the waterfront (I live on the Oakland/Alameda estuary). Mostly see a few other runners and people walking dogs.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
:(

Where is the crying emoji?
I'm a big believer in the lockdown/social distancing thing. Was arguing with people about "flattening the curve" long before NYC and Seattle became nightmares. But I personally think this wouldn't be a problem. Can you drive to Truckee w/o stopping? Can you take sufficient food with you? If so, your human contact would be with a few people outdoors at a reasonable distance. I think this would comply with every rule and also be reasonably unlikely to spread the virus (which is to say, very, very unlikely).

My $.02.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interestingly, I was supposed to take the Avy 1 class through ASI (out of the Backcountry shop) this weekend, and a week ago, I had emailed them about postponing to later in April - when I thought shelter-in-place would end on April 7. Now that date is May 3. But I got an email from them today saying provided I have my own gear, I could do the outside portion of the class April 11-12, April 18-19, or April 25-26. I wrote them back and said I'd like to defer until next season. I'm trying to be a good citizen and not spend time in the mountains, and here's a small business that wants me to come. Hard to say no, but I know it's the right thing to do.

I have been running outside in my neighborhood in the mornings, just to stay sane. At 7am, it's pretty quiet along the waterfront (I live on the Oakland/Alameda estuary). Mostly see a few other runners and people walking dogs.

We're practically neighbors! I've gone over to Bay Farm island a few times to walk the lagoon paths out there.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm a big believer in the lockdown/social distancing thing. Was arguing with people about "flattening the curve" long before NYC and Seattle became nightmares. But I personally think this wouldn't be a problem. Can you drive to Truckee w/o stopping? Can you take sufficient food with you? If so, your human contact would be with a few people outdoors at a reasonable distance. I think this would comply with every rule and also be reasonably unlikely to spread the virus (which is to say, very, very unlikely).

My $.02.

I did think about it for a moment, but there is a classroom day I still need to take first, and I'm not sure if they're even doing that over a video conference. Also, I'm a super beginner backcountry skier. I've only taken an Intro to Backcountry class. I had a tour lined up to get more climbing time in before the class, but then we got shelter-in-place. So I was hoping to go out for at least one more tour before the class.

Also, while I do have a ski lease in Truckee through April 28, I do have to stop for gas to make the drive. And the town of Truckee has asked that people not come up (https://www.truckee.com/covid-19-updates/). We actually did a day trip today to bring home most of our stuff. We'll do one more day trip at the end of the month to do the final clean and return the keys. I just want to do the right thing and limit any potential risk or exposure. Doing my part to flatten the curve.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
...Also, while I do have a ski lease in Truckee through April 28, I do have to stop for gas to make the drive. And the town of Truckee has asked that people not come up...

Pumping gas ought not be an issue if one is using large enough to easily slip on and off gloves to hold a pump that after use then go into a bag for possibly contaminated items. One can use disinfecting fluid on one's hands for any credit card machines touching and of course one should not go into a quick stop store. A bigger issue on the road are those that need to use a restroom that is a lot of people, especially women or those that have frequency P issues. Out in rural areas guys won't have an issue nor women that bring along a large tube sarong.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is killing me! Looking at the snow falling and piling up around the lifts on the Mt. Rose cameras. At the beginning of the year many people were predicting a poor year and we had the great early season. Yeah, we had the long spell of no snow but what we had held pretty well. Then, enter the evil C-19...just as the snow starts to fall and make what would have been an epic March/April. And it would have carried us into May, June, and maybe even July.
Boooooo.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is killing me! Looking at the snow falling and piling up around the lifts on the Mt. Rose cameras. At the beginning of the year many people were predicting a poor year and we had the great early season. Yeah, we had the long spell of no snow but what we had held pretty well. Then, enter the evil C-19...just as the snow starts to fall and make what would have been an epic March/April. And it would have carried us into May, June, and maybe even July.
Boooooo.
If it's any consolation, the snow pack is still well below average, so July would have been very unlikely.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I had to take care of some things this morning and decided to stop by Squaw for the first time since the ski area shut down. When all the ski areas where closing I was actually in Jackson Hole, booted up, ready to go when they announced Jackson was shutting down for the season. Overall, I’ve been staying fairly positive throughout all of this, but seeing Squaw this morning and knowing what spring skiing would have been like, definitely brought some sadness to my soul.

49743128311_bff7fdc79b_h.jpg

49742582898_27e4f66008_h.jpg

49742582068_95217b6f12_h.jpg

49743451277_886035fdbf_h.jpg

49742578058_cad5d912eb_h.jpg

49743446732_40060c7046_h.jpg

49743122986_2d96189e8e_h.jpg

49743113366_d3d7b2faa0_h.jpg

49743108361_95627ecffc_h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor