• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's doing it again in Reno. I let the dogs out an hour or so ago and nothing. Then this at 10.
20200324_220443.jpg

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Well, we do have to go back up to Tahoe to empty our gear out of the cabin, clean, and return the keys. Waiting for a sunny weekend to do that, since I'm still working fill time (albeit from home) during the week. Might try to do it in two day trips - one maybe this Friday to bring home gear and then again at the end of April to clean and return the keys. Figuring that out....

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since this discussion thread is titled "resorts," kind of hard to post when they're closed. XC and literally backyard AT have been a saving grace. I have avy 1&2 and other additional rescue trainings although am most cautious and conservative now. We're only human and prone to errors. Been more like walking in the woods, taking frequent stops, and truly bonding with nature while keeping social distance.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Anyone hear about any refunds for tickets purchased for either Ikon or Epic? I had a pass, but my brother had a Squaw 4-pack which he did not get to fully use.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Surprise! Looks like Sierra Nevada bc enthusiasts have a good chncee of one more good cold storm to consider fresh powder skiing.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
306 AM PDT Tue Mar 31 2020

There is good overall model agreement (finally) in an active

weather pattern going through the weekend and into next week. We
have continued to increase chances of precipitation and winds for
the extended forecast as a pair of shortwaves push into northern
CA/NV. The most likely timing of the first wave will be Friday
night into Saturday morning, followed by a secondary (possibly
stronger) wave Sunday into Sunday night. A period of gusty winds
will be possible this weekend, mainly Saturday night and into
Sunday ahead of the cold front Sunday afternoon.

We have also continued to increase cloud cover, QPF, and snow
amounts for these storms as well, with several inches of new snow
for the Sierra passes from the first wave. The second wave will
be the more potent of the two, bringing a foot or more of snow to
the Sierra above 7000 ft, along with several inches of snow down
to Lake Tahoe level, Portola, and Mammoth Lakes by Monday morning.
Snow levels could drop to valley floors in western Nevada by
early Monday morning. The active and cool weather pattern will

likely remain with us through next week. -Hoon

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, the Alpine Meadows announcement email had me fooled, till I got to the part about barista training then I remembered what day it is.
Good one @Philpug and @Tricia :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
That was Phil's brainchild. He's got a knack for this kind of thing.
Remember this one?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Well, we do have to go back up to Tahoe to empty our gear out of the cabin, clean, and return the keys. Waiting for a sunny weekend to do that, since I'm still working fill time (albeit from home) during the week. Might try to do it in two day trips - one maybe this Friday to bring home gear and then again at the end of April to clean and return the keys. Figuring that out....
Same for us.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of my friends from the bay was up here for the storm weekend with her two college age daughters (they go to college on the east coast). They got the Shelter In Place notice while here so they have been at their condo that they own at Northstar every since. They went grocery shopping once, and have stayed at the condo, only going out to snow shoe, no contact with anyone else. She's been working from the condo and the daughters have been doing their college classes from there.
She said, if things don't change, she'll be there until May 12th, when her girls classes are done.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Forecast for weekend storm continues to look solid for what is an exceptionally cold and wet storm for mid April. Kirkwood at 7.9k now forecast to receive 30 inches by Monday. Although I've floated doing bc day trips over the last few weeks, like others living a few hours from the Sierra, the grim reality and my conscience as part of humanity has kept me within a few miles of my urban residence as I've settled into to this reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online