• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Ikon base pass holders who are confused about the black-out dates (which are not the same as the Epic pass' dates). Maybe many of them thought they were still blacked out today?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I know Ikon base pass holders who are confused about the black-out dates (which are not the same as the Epic pass' dates). Maybe many of them thought they were still blacked out today?

Vail sends us reminder emails a few days before each black out dates.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Previously at resorts with blackout dates the Sat/Sun of MLK and presidents weekends are the only restricted days. The actual Monday holiday is open. I believe this is still holding true.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to avoid going those weekends. I knew today wasn't blacked out for me (Ikon base pass), but chose not to go. Kind of wish I had gone, but I had a great run and swim day instead.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to go on those days due to my days off are limited. The skiing is never busy, but the drive home to the bay not so much fun
The drive is what I was worried about. Twelve hour workday tomorrow; much harder if I've spent too much time in traffic.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The drive wouldn't have been too bad in terms of vehicle volume, I think less than an ave weekend. Many folks were done either sunday and left early on monday or throughout the day so spread out the load.
They didn't even do full setups for the corrals at shirley or other popular lifts.

I think this weekend is confirming that blackouts are light this year, and presidents should also be light.

Howrver, unfortunately a semi truck completely burned in a fire at noon at gold run shut everything down and then only 1 lane during peak hours. But this could've happened anytime
Maps indicated a 90 min backup. I didnt go that way and I don't know the details but the chp incident said truck carrying meat. At least maybe delicious smelling for those waiting in the jam.
Screenshot_20200120-204710_QuickMap.jpg

Last edited:

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2020/01/22/north-america-on-the-long-term-22nd-jan-2/
The latest blog update for North America (the first of 2020, finally) from my perspective.
  1. PNW/BC/Northern Rockies to remain good for the next fortnight, reducing in the second week of Feb.
  2. California/the SW/Southern Rockies to improve for the latter half of February (maybe a bit earlier)
  3. Eastern US expected to improve for the last 15-20 days of February (2nd-3rd weeks of Feb, possibly into the 4th week) IMO.
  4. These impacts may be reduced/weakened by Arctic influence, etc.
  5. In the medium term for Tahoe, besides the snowfalls in the next 24-36 hours, expect some snowfall on Sunday afternoon into Monday morning. Perhaps a foot of snowfall to the peaks.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Drove up in the weak storm to Northstar today yoyoing The Rapids. Moderate snow all day. Included two 3 stoppers in the zone. Tomorrow forecast for some sun by noon 30F temps light breezes. Should be awesome in good light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online