• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just came over Donner Summit, around noon. It was pouring rain and windy, and I was thinking that if the temperature was just a little lower, it would have been a blizzard.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Just came over Donner Summit, around noon. It was pouring rain and windy, and I was thinking that if the temperature was just a little lower, it would have been a blizzard.
Not sure which way you were going, but I took the following picture at 142 PM. The blue at upper right is from my windshield. We had some rain until Gold Run. 8205DonnerSummit.JPG
I took the next two of the W/NW side of Mt Rose using iPhone selfie mode when leaving Truckee about 10 minutes earlier.
8198MtRoseFromTruckee.JPG 8199MtRoseFromTruckee.JPG
We'd been in SLT since late Fri and decided to come home via Auburn to check out a rental for my Mom and visit niece and family that we do not see often enough and were hoping for a quick visit to Knee Deep Brewing (5 minutes from her house). It was still sunny, but getting windy when we left SLT and drove up E shore..We had mixed precip going over 267 and a little slush was on my hood when we met friend who lives in Truckee for lunch at Blue Coyote. It alternated between heavy rain and slush to snow that covered pavement while we ate,

We paid for going over I-80 with an hour and 20 minute delay from Cisco to Yuba Gap as they closed road to pull at least one semi back onto highway. We ended up only having time to visit niece and family. It makes me appreciate that I mostly drive 50 and 88 to and from Tahoe. My SUV now has over 1/4 million miles.
8207Pilot@250025.JPG

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure which way you were going, but I took the following picture at 142 PM. The blue at upper right is from my windshield. We had some rain until Gold Run. View attachment 80278
I took the next two of the W/NW side of Mt Rose using iPhone selfie mode when leaving Truckee about 10 minutes earlier.
View attachment 80279 View attachment 80280
We'd been in SLT since late Fri and decided to come home via Auburn to check out a rental for my Mom and visit niece and family that we do not see often enough and were hoping for a quick visit to Knee Deep Brewing (5 minutes from her house). It was still sunny, but getting windy when we left SLT and drove up E shore..We had mixed precip going over 267 and a little slush was on my hood when we met friend who lives in Truckee for lunch at Blue Coyote. It alternated between heavy rain and slush to snow that covered pavement while we ate,

We paid for going over I-80 with an hour and 20 minute delay from Cisco to Yuba Gap as they closed road to pull at least one semi back onto highway. We ended up only having time to visit niece and family. It makes me appreciate that I mostly drive 50 and 88 to and from Tahoe. My SUV now has over 1/4 million miles.
View attachment 80281
We went through (west-bound) at 11 or 12. I lost track, because we had to exit on 20 and go through Nevada City and then on 49, due to an accident. I was expecting to be home by 1, but it was close to 2 by the time we got home. There were plows lurking, and I wondered if if there would be snow! Driving conditions in the rain were bad :(

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Yep came down pretty good for about 1/2 hour this afternoon and stuck to the cars and roofs for a bit. Went down to the beach around 6:00 and you could see it had frosted the trees pretty nicely above 7-7500" all the way around the lake.

Pretty cold tonight! Had to turn the gas back on and get the fireplace rolling image.jpeg

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Getting close ! Early snow today at Squaw: Gold coast ares.
69527298_10157615468164044_5599457895834976256_n.jpg

Top of Tram
71210748_10157615468174044_2180042201638109184_n.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
We went through (west-bound) at 11 or 12. I lost track, because we had to exit on 20 and go through Nevada City and then on 49, due to an accident. I was expecting to be home by 1, but it was close to 2 by the time we got home. There were plows lurking, and I wondered if if there would be snow! Driving conditions in the rain were bad :(
You probably saved a lot of time taking 20 even though it is longer and winding and there are a lot of lights on 49.

We knew there was an accident and traffic when leaving Truckee, but were hoping it would clear. It was about 2 when we got off at Rainbow Rd/Big Bend and took alternate to Cisco where there isn't any alternate. We had about 20 minutes stopped getting back on and then we were stopped longer close to the Hwy 20 exit, but were in wrong lane and nobody was getting by to exit. Caltrans website (that I texted to a friend) said:

WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE AT SECRET TOWN (PLACER CO) - DUE TO VEHICLE RECOVERY

WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE AT 2.7 MI WEST OF THE JUNCTION OF SR 20 (PLACER CO) - DUE TO VEHICLE RECOVERY

I think 80 was totally closed for a while. The only carnage we saw was a big rIg connected to a tow truck on the Laing Rd overpass.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m glad we exited. I had the navigation on my phone only because I had to be at work at 3 pm and was keeping track of ETA. When the app suggested exiting, I did. Usually I ignore all of those navigator suggestions. Glad I didn’t this time.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m glad we exited. I had the navigation on my phone only because I had to be at work at 3 pm and was keeping track of ETA. When the app suggested exiting, I did. Usually I ignore all of those navigator suggestions. Glad I didn’t this time.

Usually the Google lady lies in a situation like this! I’m glad she worked out!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually the Google lady lies in a situation like this! I’m glad she worked out!
I am too. I have been caught in that bad 80 traffic down the hill before, and I have taken 20 as an alternate before, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. I have been led on to some strange roads before though!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I am too. I have been caught in that bad 80 traffic down the hill before, and I have taken 20 as an alternate before, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. I have been led on to some strange roads before though!
If you take 20 you can stop in our lovely gold rush town: Nevada City !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just hope we get back home in time for Mt Rose's opening.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
F12F0D7C-434B-49A1-8A9D-E1B2FF0EBC4B.png I drove up late Sunday evening and had snow, especially on W side of Echo Summit. No chain control but saw they had it on 80 last night and both 80 and 88 this morning. I came up to drain water at cabin as temps were predicted to be in low 20s. I went for 2 hr mountain bike ride this afternoon when temp was 42. I must have overdressed as I sweated a little, even with outer layer unzipped. 397E4163-A918-473D-98AC-93D505A572A9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.