• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll 2019/2020 Season First to Open?

What North American resort will open, and stay open, first for the 2019/2020 season?

• Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Loveland

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Keystone

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Wolf Creek

• Breckenridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 49* North

• Other

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Mt. Rose

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Line at 4:29 local time:
abasincam1001m.jpg

Skibaby5985

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Well we're in October, and several resorts have been testing out their snow guns. And there was even enough of a storm in Washington/Idaho to hike for turns at 49* North (see this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/too-early-

So who will be the first to open this season, and stay open?

For the purposes of this thread, I'd say that "stay open" can include resorts that are open only weekends, since that may be due to patrons, not lack of snow. But open early, then miss a weekend, and you aren't really open yet!

Will it be Wolf Creek? One of the front rangers? Or perhaps Killington to get a win for the east? The poll will only be open for the next 7 days.

I'm going to guess A-Basin, and just for kicks, say that it will open on October 18th.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It has been a long time since I last really skied (Jan 31 when I was injured -- the travel runs for the WSC in April don't count), but I still don't get why folk are so excited to ski a WROD and do not ski when the base is at its max, and the conditions are much better, in April.

Mike
Personally I'm just excited to see resorts open and kick off the season. :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
...but I still don't get why folk are so excited to ski a WROD and do not ski when the base is at its max, and the conditions are much better, in April.
Well, I did ski in May, but if I lived closer I would be very tempted by the WROD (maybe on a weekday, though).
And what Dave said.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
It has been a long time since I last really skied (Jan 31 when I was injured -- the travel runs for the WSC in April don't count), but I still don't get why folk are so excited to ski a WROD and do not ski when the base is at its max, and the conditions are much better, in April.

Mike
Maybe because someone does this form bottom of them heart . I could ski 12 month if I have chance. I literary had people that tell me ,oooo I can ski , no problem, but after they spend day with me , they just say no comments , not question why come people called me ski nerd :roflmao:.
My skiing day starts like this, if lift starts at 9am I am at 8:55am if front of it, at 1pm just 15 min lunch , 3:29pm catching lift( if not night skiing available ). And I could co every day like that if I have chance.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What a bust. Nobody showed up at Keystone, because it’s not cool I guess.

FE8BFAF7-76C4-4732-97BF-F1B664F236BD.png

And nobody showed up at A-Basin either. Ikon passholders have passed day one of the marshmellow test.

CA0E1E7B-2F12-49C3-AAA7-4B11A1A990D4.jpeg

Vail and A-Basin must be shaking their heads at the buzz they have killed off :P.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Mike

i think the answer has always been that the people who stand in line in Oct also do it in June.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Huh.... wonder what effect that'll have next season? Why wouldn't Epic pass holders just move over to Keystone?

The webcam at Keystone makes it look relatively busy on the slope.

upload_2019-10-12_12-25-48.png

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

Mike
You obviously haven’t been to A Basin in April lately. The lots are usually quite full.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^
Huh.... wonder what effect that'll have next season? Why wouldn't Epic pass holders just move over to Keystone?

The webcam at Keystone makes it look relatively busy on the slope.

View attachment 81958

Keystone isn’t cool.

People keep shaking their heads about skiing the WROD - it’s about the scene. Who is going to promote that they are skiing Keystone bunny terrain?

You can hang out here at A-Basin.

C9E31273-D642-462B-8B11-D4122F81CBB2.jpeg

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You obviously haven’t been to A Basin in April lately. The lots are usually quite full.

Yeah...the same locals who are out skiing now are skiing in April. But in April, you've got entire mountains open so it doesn't look that busy any one place. Loveland filled its lots to capacity all but one weekend this past April. The lots are never at capacity for the WROD.

Plus there are a good number of people that love to get up to WROD that are skiing in April, just not at resorts. That is the primo backcountry month in Colorado.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Since when did running the lifts for a couple of hours count as a "Ski Day" ? Counts if you are there. Nice job A-Bay.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Since when did running the lifts for a couple of hours count as a "Ski Day" ?
An excellent point!
And how ironic it is that in the end nobody really cared.
The truth is that Loveland has the best early season skiing and Arapahoe Basin has the best late season skiing.

Sponsor