• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll 2019/2020 Season First to Open?

What North American resort will open, and stay open, first for the 2019/2020 season?

• Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Loveland

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Keystone

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Wolf Creek

• Breckenridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killington

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 49* North

• Other

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Mt. Rose

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well we're in October, and several resorts have been testing out their snow guns. And there was even enough of a storm in Washington/Idaho to hike for turns at 49* North (see this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/too-early-for-ski-stoke.16518/)

So who will be the first to open this season, and stay open?

For the purposes of this thread, I'd say that "stay open" can include resorts that are open only weekends, since that may be due to patrons, not lack of snow. But open early, then miss a weekend, and you aren't really open yet!

Will it be Wolf Creek? One of the front rangers? Or perhaps Killington to get a win for the east? The poll will only be open for the next 7 days.

I'm going to guess A-Basin, and just for kicks, say that it will open on October 18th.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well we're in October, and several resorts have been testing out their snow guns. And there was even enough of a storm in Washington/Idaho to hike for turns at 49* North (see this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/too-early-for-ski-stoke.16518/)

So who will be the first to open this season, and stay open?

For the purposes of this thread, I'd say that "stay open" can include resorts that are open only weekends, since that may be due to patrons, not lack of snow. But open early, then miss a weekend, and you aren't really open yet!

Will it be Wolf Creek? One of the front rangers? Or perhaps Killington to get a win for the east? The poll will only be open for the next 7 days.

I'm going to guess A-Basin, and just for kicks, say that it will open on October 18th.

Colorado, forget bout it! It has been warm and windy. September was the 2nd warmest on record (in more than 100 yrs). The first half of October is looking similar.

The weather is amazing for hiking and MTBing.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Colorado, forget bout it! It has been warm and windy. September was the 2nd warmest on record (in more than 100 yrs). The first half of October is looking similar.

The weather is amazing for hiking and MTBing.

So what's your vote?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
EDIT : Added Mount Rose, based on some early season snow making and recent history.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So what's your vote?

Tough call, there are just a lot of factors involved in opening early but mostly Money, Water and Cold Temps to just open with a WROD.

Colorado looks dry AF for the next 2 weeks.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington opened for the season on 19 Oct last year beating the Western resorts by three hours. Looking for a repeat.
Good point - they do have the timezone advantage if there are multiple openings on the same day.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure who the 1st place to open will be. Probably not in CO but it is hard to bet against A Basin. Now Keystone is allegedly in the mix. It's still early but unless mother nature helps out, I doubt anyone near the front range / I70 corridor opens before the last week in Oct.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Current situation here in Colorado:

A-Basin:

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.00.30 AM.png

Keystone, Cranking up top:

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.00.06 AM.png

Loveland really cranking from the top down

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 8.59.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 8.59.42 AM.png

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...I doubt anyone near the front range / I70 corridor opens before the last week in Oct.

Based on @Ken_R 's post above this one.... Wanna bet? :D

(Of course, you might be right... I think the last couple of seasons I was always a bit optimistic and predicted too early... so my Oct. 18th guess might also be early.)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To anyone who answers or answered "other"... where are you thinking will be first? Or are you just playing the odds by guessing every other unlisted resort?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on @Ken_R 's post above this one.... Wanna bet? :D

(Of course, you might be right... I think the last couple of seasons I was always a bit optimistic and predicted too early... so my Oct. 18th guess might also be early.)

Hec no … :roflmao: I did vote for A Basin

As @jmeb posted. Allegedly there is colder weather forecasted. There is even some real snow forecasted. Problem is that is a week away and it will change 20 times. There are also some nights at or close to 40 forecasted. Still early and a lot can happen.

If you are in CO again this winter and thinking about coming to Copper let me know :beercheer:

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are in CO again this winter and thinking about coming to Copper let me know :beercheer:

Will do! Coincidentally... I've been looking into a potential Copper trip this week. (Earlier than my usual April Colorado weekend.)

snowghost

spknmike
Skier
Even though 49 got a bunch of snow that has been sticking around thus far they probably won’t open anytime soon. Major construction and excavation in the base area still happening.

My bet is one of the BC or AB resorts if the snowmakers don’t beat them!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January