• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You saw that??? So sorry. :nono:

My best story is from Blue Mountain....I was skiing at night, actually think it was an evening I was there for the race clinic. That same evening is when lots of high school ski clubs show up, including my school. I am on the lift, and this kid besides me lights up a joint. He’s being a complete jackass, and I look at him closely, and say, “George? Did you study for your chem test tomorrow?” His mouth dropped open...it was one of my students. :roflmao:

The next day was priceless.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ding Ding Ding, Winner.

Just want to add that past Presidents Day things die off quite rapidly and crowds are non-existent on what is usually a well covered 100% open mountain.

Last Presidents’ weekend, the line of traffic to CB stretched all the way past Tannersville on I-80. I was working at the ski shop; multiple people came in and told us they aborted and went to JF.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well...maybe it’s a play on words...cuz when he was around these parts it was called Little Gap?......not Blue Mountain yet?

Eh, he isn’t THAT old. ogsmile I distinctly recall him driving up to Blue from Philly area in a snowstorm. I got stuck when attempting to drive there that same day.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eh, he isn’t THAT old. ogsmile I distinctly recall him driving up to Blue from Philly area in a snowstorm. I got stuck when attempting to drive there that same day.
I AM that old. I skied Blue when it was Little Gap...before it went all the way to the valley floor.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last Presidents’ weekend, the line of traffic to CB stretched all the way past Tannersville on I-80. I was working at the ski shop; multiple people came in and told us they aborted and went to JF.

Not saying your wrong Wendy but remember a good chunk of that traffic is probably not going to the ski area, but to the Crossings. Others are going to the tubing hill which draws very well too. I was there last Presidents Day weekend and don't remember any over the top crowding but I,m sure it was quite busy. I have seen the lines for exit 299 when heading home on weekends like that.

One more tidbit, when they constructed the Hotel they took a ton of parking away from the ski area. I don't believe they have the parking capacity they did before it went up which helps.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
We've never been to Greek. How do they compare?

As you live so close to Greek, spend a day there to experience it yourself. Personally, it is not worth the extra drive for those who live south of Elk. Greek had financial issues some years ago when I was there last, so, locals would know if upgrades have occurred. Slow chairs, moderate terrain, aging lodge. In the days of Epic Ski, locals would regularly post abut Greek, not sure any Greek posting occurs here.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Ding Ding Ding, Winner.
One of the perks of having the Camelback Super Pass is 1st tracks on weekends and its on the busy ones we try get out there at the 7:30 am bell.

Somehow that early hour first access perk slipped by me. I generally get two Triple Passes a season (6 Sundays to me, then season conditions and my own "away games" permitting, some years I buy a few more days as needed) -- $258 versus $599 for a Super Pass is a lot of lunches and drinks. We're 2 hours from home, so we're there open to maybe 6. But I think I'll weigh my realistic chances of dynamiting my 14 and 20 yo's out of their beds (we come up Saturday nights and stay at a friend's nearby cabin) -- that extra hour in the morning is tempting. Every other season we come up at least once where it's raining sideways -- the $29 Aquatopia diversion might be a useable fringe benefit too lol.

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
[QUOTE="BC., post: 400290, member: 2093"
...and is taking the year off of the slow, ancient lifts at Elk....among other things.[/QUOTE]

Your mouth to God's ears. I guess a management change will come sooner or later, and required upgrades that are obvious to everyone else will finally happen.

Reactions: BC.
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Personally, it is not worth the extra drive for those who live south of Elk. Greek had financial issues some years ago when I was there last, so, locals would know if upgrades have occurred. Slow chairs, moderate terrain, aging lodge. In the days of Epic

Thanks for this important "safety" tip. We're a good three hours south of Elk, Doesn't sound like the juice would be worth the squeeze headed to Greek (for us).

Last edited:

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Great to see this thread back!
Here's a little stoke for everyone- taken moments ago at Elk Mountain:
IMG_6967.jpg

My wife and I rented this place last season and liked it so much we ended up buying it. Very excited to be here and to have a season pass this year.

@Scrundy I'd like to make a jump up to Greek this year for a change of pace. We'll be in touch I'm sure.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to see this thread back!
Here's a little stoke for everyone- taken moments ago at Elk Mountain:
View attachment 84101

My wife and I rented this place last season and liked it so much we ended up buying it. Very excited to be here and to have a season pass this year.

@Scrundy I'd like to make a jump up to Greek this year for a change of pace. We'll be in touch I'm sure.

Yeah I’m in, Greek isn’t terrible I had a pass for years there. It’s nice in a good snow year as their snow making lacks. When there’s good snow and everything is open there’s good terrain. Trees are in play at Greek opposed to Elk. They do have some steep runs but are rarely open because snow making sucks. They did put a new 6 pack in a few years back to supposedly make ride quicker. That didn’t pan out to well and they have problems with loading to keep it running. I like the place in good snow years and will probably return when they get thier act together.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just saw that Elk begins snowmaking tonight, too!

mail

mail
❄️Snowmaking Starts Tonight!❄️
Our snowmaking team has been hard at work preparing for the season and waiting for the perfect temperatures.
When air and humidity come together to drop the wet-bulb temperature to 27 degrees we are able to make snow- and that all comes together TONIGHT!
Stay tuned for opening day information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor