• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Camelback say they are going to start making snow Tuesday. Set a record low for Mt Pocono overnight so I'm a little surprised they didnt start last night.
I remember when I was a kid, we were happy where Camelback would get open the weekend before Christmas. You modern day skiers have it so good.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember when I was a kid, we were happy where Camelback would get open the weekend before Christmas. You modern day skiers have it so good.

Original ownership had sort of a hard schedule defined season of Dec 15th - Mar 15th. Art took over and wanted to get aggressive so they pushed the season on both ends. Now its a pretty consistent Dec 1st - April 1st. There was 1 season (fall 2006 or 2007) where we had a cold snap and they were able to open up Thanksgiving. He also wanted to keep the east side open late kind of like making Cliffhanger a Pa. version of Superstar at Killington (one of the reasons for the mountain to close 1st weekend of April regardless of snow is to prepare for the Camelbeach season but that only concerns the west side) If you have been there just after the season ended you would realize its not that crazy of an idea as Cliffhanger holds the snow very well when other parts have melted out. As of yet that hasn't happened. New ownership so all bets are off now.

Of course its the Pocono's so it could easily go the other way some year and be the weekend before Christmas or later.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
New ownership so all bets are off now..

I wonder if it's feasible to develop skier's-right of Nile (getting into where the old late 1950s resort was located)? Think I read in the old Camelback book ("banana belt ski area") it's steep and very prone to ice and that's why nothing's been done with it (?). I think they own that portion of the area going back to when the original owners partnered with the owners of the 1950s ski hill. Basilisk is such a tight run among ski towers, maybe new ownership's risk threshold gauge has a different needle? LOL.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blue Mtn... the Killington of the Poconos!

Don't think you'll be saying that at the end of the season. Not sure why, but Blue has always shut down fairly early compared to Camelback which tries yearly to push into April. That said kudos to them for pushing this end of the season. Camelback says they start to make snow today and I'm not expecting anything till at least the following weekend if even then. If there is Thanksgiving skiing I don't see anything I could complain about.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't think you'll be saying that at the end of the season. Not sure why, but Blue has always shut down fairly early compared to Camelback which tries yearly to push into April. That said kudos to them for pushing this end of the season. Camelback says they start to make snow today and I'm not expecting anything till at least the following weekend if even then. If there is Thanksgiving skiing I don't see anything I could complain about.
I recall skiing Blue's closing day a few years back and it was a sloppy mess in mid-March. I don't recall if it was a bad year or not. But I felt like it taught me a few useful things about skiing the crud, so it was a good day!

I also skied there the day after Thanksgiving, so kudos to Blue for trying with the limited elevation they have. I plan to hit it at least once around Christmas when I'm trapped in PA and not at Killington.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
i was really impressed at blue's snowmaking power the season after they upgraded their system a few years ago. I remember they had all of main street, burma road, and those other greens by the upper lodge for opening day (early dec) with 36-inch base. it's unfortunate that what they do blow is like table sugar sized ice balls, lol.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I wonder if CBK's new guns are similar (to Blue's) -- one of the benefits is being able to operate at (I think) 4 degrees higher in temperature. Hopefully it won't feel like skiing in borax...

Last edited:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like they are really going for it this year, @Scrundy - I'm wondering if they pushing for a pre-Thanksgiving opening as well?

I need to go up to the lodge this weekend so I'm going to try to get a little intel.

Yeah I’m real surprised they started making snow so early. Kind of surprised a lot of hills around are so early. No place around me get serious till a week or two after Thanksgiving. Maybe they know something we don’t and I hope this record cold sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online