• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Elan's 2019-2020 collection. They are introducing a new Wingman series plus some new models within the existing series: https://skidiscovery.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ELAN-1920.pdf

Also lots of previews here: https://www.evo.com/discover/ski/gear-preview

Surprising how long Elan has stuck with the Amphibio idea. Am I the only one who finds the idea to be fatally flawed? It's like the Elan designers don't know how to ski. I'm also surprised to not see a single race ski in that catalog. Maybe they will still exist and just aren't in there.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprising how long Elan has stuck with the Amphibio idea. Am I the only one who finds the idea to be fatally flawed? It's like the Elan designers don't know how to ski. I'm also surprised to not see a single race ski in that catalog. Maybe they will still exist and just aren't in there.

You're not the only one at all. I don't even skim Elan reviews because of the Amphibio concept. I occasionally hit a rock while skiing. Gasp! And more times than not it is on the inside edge. which gets a quick stoning, and immediately becomes the outside edge.

I don't know about everywhere else, but at Jackson Hole and Big Sky, if you're going to ski the good expert terrain, you're going to hit a rock on occasion.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied and liked Elan's for a few years, but hated the 4D Amphibio with the tip and tail changes. This year's line has kept the L/R Amphibio but seems to have dropped the tail convexity so they are at least paying attention to something.

But all in all, I have been disappointed by Elan for the last 3 years, I feel that the new management had really screwy priorities.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied and liked Elan's for a few years, but hated the 4D Amphibio with the tip and tail changes. This year's line has kept the L/R Amphibio but seems to have dropped the tail convexity so they are at least paying attention to something.

But all in all, I have been disappointed by Elan for the last 3 years, I feel that the new management had really screwy priorities.
Odd, I loved the 4D Amphibio. I found the tail would rocket the ski through the turn. As far as the Amphipio technology, IMHO the Elan construction is so nice it doesn't need it. Yes the uphill edge eases nice into a turn but I think a well built ski woudl do that anyway..and the Elans are well built. I am looking forard to getting on the Wingman skis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Odd, I loved the 4D Amphibio. I found the tail would rocket the ski through the turn. As far as the Amphipio technology, IMHO the Elan construction is so nice it doesn't need it. Yes the uphill edge eases nice into a turn but I think a well built ski woudl do that anyway..and the Elans are well built. I am looking forard to getting on the Wingman skis.

Understood. If you chat with the product manager, tell him/her to ditch the amphibio. It's just not necessary and they lose sales because of it. I highly doubt it's a sought after "feature" that helps them over their competition.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a picture of the new Liberty Evolv 90 yesterday. I am psyched to get on the 90 and 100. The Evolv is a hybrid between the groomer focused VMT series and the Off-piste Origin Series. Really like what I am seeing. the Evolv is to the far right, the Origin to the left.
fullsizeoutput_951.jpeg

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier

You obviously haven't skied any of these. Elan Amphibio skis are very smooth and stable and ski very, very, well. I think that you can count Glen Plake amoung the Elan ski designers. Kind of think that he knows how to ski. Many just discount Elan because of the Amphibio designs and they are not widely distributed. It's a shame, because they make fine skis.

You're not the only one at all. I don't even skim Elan reviews because of the Amphibio concept. I occasionally hit a rock while skiing. Gasp! And more times than not it is on the inside edge. which gets a quick stoning, and immediately becomes the outside edge.

I don't know about everywhere else, but at Jackson Hole and Big Sky, if you're going to ski the good expert terrain, you're going to hit a rock on occasion.

Really? If you ski in the rocks, you are going to probably blow all your edges before long, on any ski. The Amphibio carving and all-mountain skis probably aren't the stick of choice for Big Sky and JMHR off-piste terrain anyway. Those places are serious "ski eaters", see more blown up skis from the "gnar" at those areas than anywhere else.

Give Elan a try you might be most pleasantly surprised.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You obviously haven't skied any of these. Elan Amphibio skis are very smooth and stable and ski very, very, well. I think that you can count Glen Plake amoung the Elan ski designers. Kind of think that he knows how to ski. Many just discount Elan because of the Amphibio designs and they are not widely distributed. It's a shame, because they make fine skis.

Give Elan a try you might be most pleasantly surprised.

Kinda reminds of your comment in the K2 thread...lets try this...

You obviously haven't skied any of these. K2 Minbenders skis are very smooth and stable and ski very, very, well. I think that you can count Jed Yeiser amoung the K2 ski designers. Kind of think that he knows how to ski. Many just discount K2 because they are not built in the USA. It's a shame, because they make fine skis.

Give K2 a try you might be most pleasantly surprised. ;)

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really? If you ski in the rocks, you are going to probably blow all your edges before long, on any ski.

I probably was unclear, but my point is that on a "normal" ski, I can blow an inside edge, and I've still got a new, identical inside edge right there on the outside. Switch skis, and good to go.

Not an option with the Amphibio.

LWSkier

Booting up
Skier
I highly doubt someone skiing in terrain with the danger of hitting rocks at JH or Big Sky is skiing on a narrow PSIA/Groomer type ski like the Amphibio.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure if a one-stop list like this has been posted yet: https://www.evo.com/discover/ski/gear-preview - I for one am STOKED on a Secret 102.

Also, I'd like to make a motion for a people's choice award for best and worst graphics. Ski preferences are beautifully diverse based on where we ski, our bodies and abilities, but at least with topsheets we can all come together over the fact that the guitar trees on the Bents are freaking weird.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if a one-stop list like this has been posted yet: https://www.evo.com/discover/ski/gear-preview - I for one am STOKED on a Secret 102.

Also, I'd like to make a motion for a people's choice award for best and worst graphics. Ski preferences are beautifully diverse based on where we ski, our bodies and abilities, but at least with topsheets we can all come together over the fact that the guitar trees on the Bents are freaking weird.
OOh, fun read! The Secret 92 that I skied at Targhee over the weekend was actually really good in a foot of powder. I was surprised! So, a 102 should be fantastic in it!

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Analisa I think K2 blew and I mean really blew it by not keeping that Blue top sheet on that new 2020 ski they came out with.
I don’t know which model but Phil was on it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Analisa I think K2 blew and I mean really blew it by not keeping that Blue top sheet on that new 2020 ski they came out with.
I don’t know which model but Phil was on it.
The prdouction one is uhmmm conservative for sure but the I doubt it will stop one sale, the ski will be fine based on performance alone. The difference is not nearly dramatic as the Enforcer when it came out. The black Proto was awesome and the production was not blech but bot great either...The Mindbender graphics smoke those and that ski was basically sold out by Halloween.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m sure and truly happy for K2 that this line of new skis are getting some real buzz from the insiders but if Ted and Carol are cruising the local ski wall those brilliant blue top sheets would have helped to get them to stop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m sure and truly happy for K2 that this line of new skis are getting some real buzz from the insiders but if Ted and Carol are cruising the local ski wall those brilliant blue top sheets would have helped to get them to stop.
The blue ones were only available in a 177 and 184...unless Carol is 5'10" or bigger...it wouldn't have been an option for her anyway ;).

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
DAMMIT,,,,, I should have used Bob then I could have said,,,,,,,,,,,,wait for it ????
WHAT ABOUT BOB !!!!
I’ll get better.