• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah I think 2 days at Loveland and 1 day at A-basin would be about perfect, and VERY nice on the budget. Those 4 packs to Loveland are an insanely good deal.

We'll be flying in Sunday, staying in Denver that night, then heading up to the mountains on Monday, Skiing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and flying out Friday night.

Probably will wait a while to buy A-basin tickets. Would like to see the weather first and make a call based on that if possible.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You should go on warm vacations more @nay . Us skiers in CO appreciate it.

Me too I guess... coincidence? I dunno. This is not the first time I fly out and a big storm rolls through Colorado a day or 2 after...

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
We'll be flying in Sunday, staying in Denver that night, then heading up to the mountains on Monday, Skiing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and flying out Friday night.

Sounds like you should be skiing Monday too :). You might go for the ultra variety pack and add a half day at Ski Cooper on Tues/Wed. They sell half day tickets, it's a beautiful drive if its not snowing, and the new t-bar access a bunch of really fun looking tree skiing. High elevation should mean great snow through March.

You don't need to commit to it now, but I'd keep it as an option. They often run great late season, midweek ticket deals.

If you're coming back any time to CO or out west this season...you could look into something wild like getting Monarch season passes. You'd get 3 days at Abasin, Loveland, Copper, Ski Cooper, Sunlight, all the Powder alliance resorts etc. $330/teen. $500/adult.

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds like you should be skiing Monday too :). You might go for the ultra variety pack and add a half day at Ski Cooper on Tues/Wed. They sell half day tickets, it's a beautiful drive if its not snowing, and the new t-bar access a bunch of really fun looking tree skiing. High elevation should mean great snow through March.

You don't need to commit to it now, but I'd keep it as an option. They often run great late season, midweek ticket deals.

If you're coming back any time to CO or out west this season...you could look into something wild like getting Monarch season passes. You'd get 3 days at Abasin, Loveland, Copper, Ski Cooper, Sunlight, all the Powder alliance resorts etc. $330/teen. $500/adult.

I'm giving my family a good amount of time to adjust to the insanely high elevation in Summit county. Sunday we'll pick up our rental car and visit friends and stay in town (which always helps you adjust), Monday morning we'll head up and get into our condo and buy groceries and stuff. Then Tuesday we'll be all setting in and ready to rip.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was working out of the office all day today. I shoveled this much snow off before I left at 7ish. I was amazed to see it had returned at 2:30!

IMG_20191010_145832811.jpg

And it has resumed snowing, yet again.

Yesterday I was doing PT in the back yard and sweating. What a difference a day makes. It is supposed to return to sunny and highs in the 50s tomorrow.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Looks like both ABasin and Keystone are pushing piles with some real snowcat activity. I am a little surprised with temps still being good for snowmaking. But, they may just as well be trying to evaluate where production needs to be concentrated. A weekend opening seems very much in play at both locations.
Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 9.24.31 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 9.25.34 AM.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail has incentive to have Keystone open, so when ABasin turns away Epic Pass skiers, they only need to drive down the road, rather than rage and rant back to Denver.
Excellent point. Looks like you called it!

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
And watch how late Breck goes this year...
Nov 8th as they have announced.

No incentive to open earlier unless we have a massive storm cycle that requires no snowmaking. And I would not expect any kind of spectacular opening effort for Nov 8th. They just need enough open for Thanksgiving crowds that month and little Else.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Nov 8th as they have announced.

No incentive to open earlier unless we have a massive storm cycle that requires no snowmaking. And I would not expect any kind of spectacular opening effort for Nov 8th. They just need enough open for Thanksgiving crowds that month and little Else.

I meant Breck for closing. Vail clearly has a full A-Basin replacement product at a fraction of the cost.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
"The race to be the first to open in Colorado and the country is always a treat. Vail has announced that Keystone is opening tomorrow. I know Loveland is right on their tail. Congratulations to both resorts.

We are proud to announce that we will open Black Mountain Express today, Friday, October 11, from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM. "

https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/10/we-are-opening-today.html

Pretty funny. Guess they REALLY didn't want to get beat by Keystone. :)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is awesome! Love a bit of friendly competition and especially enjoy the little guy being able to mobilize such that they can make this move!

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
And that's it folks, CO lift-served season opens tomorrow at Keystone.

If you're willing to download a gondola that is.

Well. I was wrong. Happy to be in this instance. Talk about some race to open hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.