• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
And there it is. Statewide stay-at-home until 4/11 at least.
Interesting part is that I don't know how long I'm staying at home. Earlier today, there was an expansion of the Denver order (?) that included Arapahoe and Douglas counties. That was supposed to be until 4/17. Then Polis issued the order for the entire state until 4/11.

I assume the governor is taking into account Easter being on the 12th and allowing families to gather for it.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Interesting part is that I don't know how long I'm staying at home. Earlier today, there was an expansion of the Denver order (?) that included Arapahoe and Douglas counties. That was supposed to be until 4/17. Then Polis issued the order for the entire state until 4/11.

I assume the governor is taking into account Easter being on the 12th and allowing families to gather for it.
As with all of this, I would not put too much stock in any date. When NYC is expecting to peak in mid April, and plenty of experts are talking about the curve lasting well into May....we can pray this has dramatic effects and things begin to significantly change in 2-3 weeks.

But it is probably wise for everyone to plan and prepare, in whatever fashion they can, that this new stay at home setup could be for a few months.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
All the caveats should be emptored. (Ok, that "technically" haha should go the other way around, but it didn't sound right like that.)

Just acknowledging this part - it made me smile.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Little message from the employees to VRi today...

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.23.39 PM.png

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
For people who may not have watched Gov Polis presenting the CO modeling on the outbreak, here are a few key takeaways:

Low humidity and cold temperatures probably help the virus survive. This is not good news for mountain communities in winter.
BFA576E0-2B0B-4939-91B8-19C2E57B7D10.png
ICU bed demand may not peak until ski season.

2DA6E00A-A2E9-4D5C-9E5C-3CB855BA8DCC.png
They are expecting smaller infection waves over the next year+ and these will require adding temporary distancing measures again. Even if they are targeted, they will likely impact mountain communities more severely.

When you watched the presentation and read the documentation, there is very little in this that is positive for NEXT ski season. There will be snow, and probably chances to get out and make turns. But, Gov Polis did nothing to indicate we should be back to historic “normal” before we conclude the 20/21 ski season.

This is not a commentary on what economic and social activity might look like at stages or in the Front Range cities. It is just an acknowledgement that honest estimates of what is happening are already forecasting some expected problem for next season. How bad those problem become is not clear. But, we all should be prepared that there will be significant change and disruption to our past habits and hobbies in the Rockies.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope I get at least some chances to skin up somewhere before the end of snow season.

The situations and disease itself are different - a cold virus rather than a flu virus, but deep in an article in the Denver Post last week was a brief description of the history of the Spanish Flu of 1918, the worse previous modern pandemic: it apparently came in three waves, with three corresponding mutations. In hindsight, the first wave started in January to February, 1918, lasted through the spring until early summer, and was relatively mild. People thought little of it.

The second wave/mutation came the following Fall, 1918, was severe, and gave way at the end of December to the third mutation/wave, which lasted all of 1919, and was also more severe.

Because of World War I, production did not cease. In this country and elsewhere, people just kept right on working for the "war effort," until the pandemic petered out on its own.

It seems to have lasted a total of two years.

From early observations, our current novel Coronavirus has apparently not mutated yet, and may be relatively slow to do so, from early reports. Hope this holds up.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was loud dust on crust. It was mostly smooth crust and the dust was nicely uniform, too.

An attempt at 8s. My first track was affected by the 2" of snow not offering much braking and a variable pitch messing with speed. It was hard to match for the same reason.

IMG_20200328_110501420_crop.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It snowed a little last night and today. It freshened up the otherwise fairly firm clear cut.

IMG_20200330_150805011.jpg
Red Mtn is barely visible beneath the cloud layer.

IMG_20200330_152216559_HDR.jpg
I ran out of beer. (yikes) I made do with Johnny Walker Black.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Breck moose euthanized. Stupid lady got too close. I swear every ski season about once or twice a month the Breck moose ends up in the news.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Breck moose euthanized. Stupid lady got too close. I swear every ski season about once or twice a month the Breck moose ends up in the news.

=/

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
In my neighborhood, they are a daily occurrence. Half the posts on our neighborhood FB page are 'watch out for the moose on _______ Green', 'moose sleeping at _________ Street', 'moose on poop loop'

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail cancels all lift projects for this summer

Ouch... hadn't really thought about lift installations. But since there is sort of a lift-install season (pretty much now through October/November), those companies could get hit financially pretty hard this year if a lot of those get deferred.

Anybody know how many lifts Vail had planned to install? @Lift Blog ?

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Ouch... hadn't really thought about lift installations. But since there is sort of a lift-install season (pretty much now through October/November), those companies could get hit financially pretty hard this year if a lot of those get deferred.

Anybody know how many lifts Vail had planned to install? @Lift Blog ?
At least 4 here in the Front Range--2 at BC, 1 at Breck, 1 at Keystone

As @Lift Blog says in his article, now we just wait for the Alterra shoe to drop.

I also have to start wondering what kind of cushion A-Basin was operating with this year. To start off slow and then loose the entire Spring season seems like a major blow to them.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Keystone is crediting any unused portion of Family or Adult Lesson Packages.

Credit will be for % of unused lessons towards same product next season. So, if you used half your lessons, you will have a 50% credit towards next years same/similar product.

With what we had unused, that will probably result in us staying within the Epic Pass universe next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor