• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
LL was cold AF today but as usual some good snow was found. Thx to @SkiFiore for the pics!

D624DDD0-D37C-46B1-9F75-1F2BE2108AE8.jpeg 5B7C4BDB-1BA1-4EB3-A94D-515289385A2B.jpeg

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I chickened out. Was planning on going, but saw the single digit high temps and decided that I would build a set of golf clubs instead. I know, I'm a "fickle fan" when it comes to skiing. :huh:ogwink

It was tough but snow conditions were good crowds low so in a few hours we got a lot of skiing in. Bailed before noon so back in Denver in time for lunch.

I could have used another layer (top and bottom) for sure.

BD Mercury Mitts though, muney.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
It was tough but snow conditions were good crowds low so in a few hours we got a lot of skiing in. Bailed before noon so back in Denver in time for lunch.

I could have used another layer (top and bottom) for sure.

BD Mercury Mitts though, muney.
I love my mercurys, but my hestra helis are warmer for me. Super warm mitts are essential for me since I lost a lot of circulation in one hand due to a accident.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Keystone was cold as elesewhere. Maybe lowest crowds I have seen all season.

Still a surprising number of Midwest skiers taking a “holiday” ski trip. More tourists than locals on the lifts. But I imagine lots of locals can choose to skip and ski a warmer day.

Conditions were not bad. In fact the frontside bumps were nice and chalky, which is what I prefer.

Free hot chocolate refills at Vail resorts is always nice. Saving the cup in my pack for a free afternoon warm up might be stretching the policy. But nobody ever gave me even a glance.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just in case any of you is feeling sorry for yourself for any reason:

[cross post from Utah thread]

Reactions: nay

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Thanks for letting me ski with you vicariously. I'm once again sitting on my couch at home; knocked out by the flu shot I got yesterday. They said I might have a bit of a reaction, but I'm starting to feel better now. I feel like I've barely skied this season. :(

It’s one of those years of weird bugs and stuff. I’ve managed to avoid it, but the girls of the family have gotten hammered. Some normalcy would be nice. As if.

The snow is excellent, we’ve found good stuff all over the mountain, but the wind has setltled in and 9 just closed for wind chill. Hoping it calms down and runs again, but it is looking doubtful.

A08887E1-5A94-4A2B-9874-7EA3D137B766.jpeg

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great last day for us at Copper. Cold though... and snowing hard through the afternoon.

Thanks to @DCagle for the meetup and getting me into a couple of places i wouldn't have ventured on my own!

Pics/ trip report to come later.

I absolutely love skiing when it's snowing like Sat. afternoon. It will be interesting to hear where he took you. Looking forward to your trip report. The snow never really soften up much in certain places on Sat. It was kind of weird. Not often that Ptarmigan is soft and not scraped off. My 1st run of the day was thru Hallelujah and wow was it nice and soft and if you didn't feel like bumps you could easily avoid them. Never warmed up much though. In fact I think the temp actually warmed up from -2 to maybe 20 but dropped quickly.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be interesting to hear where he took you.
Two places... one, we went up Mountain Chief, which I'd never been on, and traversed the whole way around to ski Buzzard's Alley. That was really nice - good snow, and didn't find any rocks. We also skied Gold Digger, and I'd never ventured off of Timber Ridge before. Lots of bumps, but a pretty nice run. And the day before, @MattSmith, @MarkP and I took the Lillie-G traverse off Storm King (which I'd also never done) and down into Copper bowl. Rattler was big, soft, really nice bumps. Tiring, but good practice for me.

Those are all pretty adventurous for me, so it was a lot of fun.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
It’s one of those years of weird bugs and stuff. I’ve managed to avoid it, but the girls of the family have gotten hammered. Some normalcy would be nice. As if.

The snow is excellent, we’ve found good stuff all over the mountain, but the wind has setltled in and 9 just closed for wind chill. Hoping it calms down and runs again, but it is looking doubtful.

View attachment 89894
Yesterday really was good all over. Patrol bowl was great while it lasted. It was certainly cold (highest reading yesterday at top of 8 was 4.5F, with 45mph gusts early afternoon.) By the time wind settled down (~3:15/3:30) was too late for 9.

This coming storm should be skiing pretty great everywhere.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What the hec is going on today? It's Tue. not Sat. A friend is trying to get Copper and she is just sitting in traffic. She said it was 2 hours from her house in Highlands Ranch to Idaho Springs. Crazy

View attachment 90031

Just your average mid winter Colorado 1~3" "Powder" day. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Dang, that looks bad. There must have been some sort of accident ahead. Looks fine now.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
PLANNED CLOSURE
alert_incident_moderate_16x16.png

I-70 Westbound / Eastbound Fall River Road Exit to West Idaho Springs (Milemarker 238-239)
Traffic will be periodically stopped in both directions Westbound at MM 239 on the west end of Idaho Springs and Eastbound at MM 238.5 Fall River Rd Exit, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for rockfall mitigation work, Monday through Thursday until work is completed. Expect delays.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PLANNED CLOSURE
alert_incident_moderate_16x16.png

I-70 Westbound / Eastbound Fall River Road Exit to West Idaho Springs (Milemarker 238-239)
Traffic will be periodically stopped in both directions Westbound at MM 239 on the west end of Idaho Springs and Eastbound at MM 238.5 Fall River Rd Exit, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for rockfall mitigation work, Monday through Thursday until work is completed. Expect delays.

I got caught in this closure last Wednesday coming home from Carbondale. I was stopped just past the exit for St. Mary's Alice and was watching some old guy trying to convince traffic behind him to back up so he could get back to the exit. Not sure how he thought he was going to get a mile's worth of traffic behind him to all back up for him. Thankfully the road opened not long after he started the quest and we got moving but I was cracking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.